2024-04-29, 07:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: combining models? (err... little help...)  (Read 3218 times)
monkey monkey monkey

« on: 2004-07-17, 17:45 »

Right, i'm still going in my own time with this Accuracy pack, sounds and such...

...I knocked up a quick skin for BJ Blazkowitz from Wolfenstein 3D, using the sarge/earth model. He looked silly with armour on, so i used bittermans body. So now i've got sarges head on bittermans upper and lower in the model viewer, and it's OK.

How do I get this going in the game? Is there a script to tell quake 3 what head and body models to put together, without having to use console commands?
I could rename them all into a new model, but i'd rather save space and use existing md3s  Slipgate - Wink

While i'm at it... what script determines which 'generation' a model/skin is placed under?

PS looking forward to 99e  Slipgate - Grin
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-18, 00:14 »

There is a way to combine body & head models:

- select a model first (for the body), thus: /model bitterman/[skin]
- select a head, with: /headmodel sarge/[skin]

There's a catch. The body (the /model) is bound to the classes, for the logical reason that people need to be able to see what class you are, and a headmodel is not enough or big enough for that. Also, with the /cg_headmodels toggle, players can disable alternative headmodels, and force the body's original head (not everyone likes the funky headmodels).
There is no script that defines the class of a model, the model itself is linked to the class.

In other words: You can select bitterman for Strogg, and use sarges head, but you cannot use bitterman's body for Earth.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-18, 00:15 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
monkey monkey monkey

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-19, 12:52 »

erm... damn. Right.

something else... tha cartoony flash you get when you fire the strogg weapons, such as the machinegun. strogg_effects.shader says they are, for example:

models/weapons2/machinegun/f_stroggmachinegun.tga

But there's nothing there!
If i set the shader to sarge/null, nothing changes!

So, where's this image then? Slipgate - Confused
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-20, 01:57 »

That's because the muzzle flashes are only hacked in and borrowed from the Q3 muzzle flashes right now.  The actual muzzle flash model is probably pointed to the texture models/weapons2/machinegun/f_machinegun.jpg, which is shaderized in models.shader, part of baseq3.  We're going to be doing new muzzle flash effects later.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: