2024-04-18, 17:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 theme full (rock on!)  (Read 10568 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2004-07-27, 07:50 »

Tek and Foot  have the right idea here, and Genialus - excellent mindset!

Something everyone else might want to keep in perspective here... what is the "theme" music for all the previous Id games from the Doom genre forward?  Hmm?  Let's go down the list.

Doom: D_intro.mid.  Two notes with some background stuff basically.
Doom II: D_dm2ttl.mid  - Same riffs over and over.
Quake: Track02 - Played during the first demo?  Same riff over and over basically.
Quake II: Track07 "Quad Machine" - Played during the first demo?
Quake III Arena:  ??(can't find a file)  The music in the intro?

This is INTRO music we're talking about.  You know, what shows up prior to the little menu that lets you actually play the game, usually during a demo or "cool cinematic intro sequence"?  I don't see any as really being a "theme".  Quad Machine might qualify but it's still only because it's the first demo played, same with Trak02 for Quake.

Why is everyone getting so worked up about this anyway?  This is exactly how games end up being overhyped.  Half the time it's people's expectations to blame, not the game designer.  This is ONE MUSIC TRACK, not the entire score to the game.  Sheesh!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #21 on: 2004-07-27, 14:06 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Quake: Track02 - Played during the first demo?  Same riff over and over basically.

Not to mention the theme tune: about 5mins of someone going "aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh"

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-07-28, 03:21 »

*shrug* my opinion is my opinion. It's too disjointed, the track's all over the place. The fading is a mess, the tempo changes multiple times with no attempt at beatmatching, and the samples are tossed on top of each other too thick and too often for my taste.
And considering how often I listen to wumpscut, ohgr, and the like, that's saying something.

Maybe having way too many audiophile friends has spoiled me, but technically, the track isn't that great. I'd like to hear a nice solid rendition played by trained musicians. The track sounds like 10 minutes of work slapped together in sonic foundry. That's simply my taste in music and 10 years of musical training talking.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #23 on: 2004-07-28, 05:01 »

Quote from: scalliano
Quote from: Phoenix
Quake: Track02 - Played during the first demo?  Same riff over and over basically.

Not to mention the theme tune: about 5mins of someone going "aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh"
dont hate on nin bish ill axe murder you. i think all the tracks are great because i just see them as intro music..not OMFG THIS IS BEST TRACK EVAR or OMGTHISSUXORSCUZITSNOTANACTUALTRACKANDIMANOOBANDIGOTTABITCHABOUTIT
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-07-28, 06:25 »

Mine's Bigger!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #25 on: 2004-07-28, 15:14 »

I'm with Angst on this, now unlike Angst,  I don't have musical training - so I'm just a consumer...however, I'm a collector of soundtracks (tv shows, games - doesn't matter what the soundtrack is for) and as such, I have a grading system (may have posted this before, can't remember offhand).   This system is used both on individual tracks as well as complete soundtracks.

Here goes:-

1. Garbage and absolute pants:  This music is just plain awful,  monkeys bashing away at drums would probably sound better.  Will not be enjoyed by anyone regardless how it's used.
2. Very poor: All but the most diehard fans of the musical piece(s) will find this distasteful...sometimes in the extreme.  Extremely limited enjoyment outside of the product.
3. Poor: This rating is given when the music can't be listened to outside of the product and enjoyed but can be enjoyed when used appropriately (e.g. some people like fast paced action music, but such a piece would be completely inappropriate for a slow paced romantic scene).
4. Adequate: The music works for the product, but enjoyment outside of the product will vary between non-existent and mildly entertaining.  
5. Good: The music works for the product and enjoyment outside of the product will most likely mildly entertain.
6. Very good (aka excellent): The music not only works for the product but is enjoyed outside of the product without even seeing the product.
7. Masterpiece: The rarest of all ratings given,  few truly deserve this rating and will almost certainly vary from person to person.   Such a soundtrack can be listened to standalone without knowing the slightest about the product the music was made for, and enjoy the music immensely.   When seeing/playing the product,  the music fits so well it's almost transparent to you as it [the music] enriches the scenes.

To give some examples,  the first Thunderbirds soundtrack cd (as released via Silva Screen) I would rate as "Good".   The Man From U.N.C.L.E. soundtrack (both volumes as released via Film Score Monthly) varies from "Poor" to "Very Good".   As much as I like UNCLE stuff, I must be honest to anyone who reads any review I make.

I'm sure y'all are more interested in the grading I give the Doom 3 theme,  I did some research on this as I'm not sure whether or not the theme is to be used as a menu theme, intro cinematic music, end credits...*shrugs*.   Too much in the way of "OMFG!!11one!!! Doom 3 theme! DOWNLOAD NOW!!!111one!!!" to find out exactly.  Guess I'll find out for sure when the full version and/or demo arrives on the shelves soon enough.

With that in mind, I give the Doom 3 theme a grading of: Poor.  Keep in mind all of us here have only heard this single track outside of the product and context itself,  the rating of mine might go up to "Adequate" if I feel that the music suits Doom 3.  As I've said many times: we shall see. :}

Regards,

Yickle.

P.S. Now it's time to sleep before I hit random keys on my keyboard with my head.   Slipgate - Asleep
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #26 on: 2004-07-30, 03:49 »

Quote from: Tekhead

BTW: Tool kicks ass.
I'll drink to that...

Beer? I'm down.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: