2024-03-29, 06:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SCREW "HEALTH" FOOD (I'm sick of this crap!!!)  (Read 6635 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« on: 2004-07-28, 00:29 »

I'm tired of the buzzword "health food" being applied to every single half-assed, double-processed scrap of food that's being sold for the same price (or greater!) as normal food! I'm also pissed off at the Atkins-friendly bullshit. You can't live without carbs, yet this diet gets shoved down your throat through the media all year round. Low-carb, half-filling dinners can lick my sack - I want to eat HEALTHY food, not HEALTH! There is a difference! Diet soda is no better! Half the content, same price, same stunt of metabolism!

Give me a damn soda and burger with some greens on the side and leave it up to me to choose if I beef up or bulk up. Stop the hype that it is the food's fault America is fat - it truly is the people's fault for eating more than their fair share.

...unless you're poor, where it's cheaper to have an unhealthy diet. That just sucks and is plain wrong - I sympathize.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-28, 04:58 »

for once..i agree..its a buncha bs and its nothin but more media bs. thas like sayin those damn diet pills are gonna make u thinner when u want it to..it all goes to show that society is too gd lazy to get up off their asses and actually exercise. save it for the clinicly obese ppl taht cant help it.  atkins can go to hell.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-28, 06:16 »

I like bagels
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-28, 06:22 »

A lot of the problem with people following the Atkins philosphy is they go about it wrong.  All Atkins actually said was to reduce the amount of carbohydrates, especially starches and sugars, and substitute protein and vegetables.  The logic is sound.  If you reduce the caloric intake you lose weight, and beyond that, the more easily absorbed the compounds you eliminate the more benefit you get from the calorie reduction.

There's an energy cost to digesting food, and the more energy you have to expend to absorb it the less weight you're going to gain from eating a lot of it.  Eating protein and veggies will result in little weight gain since they have almost no calories and take a lot of energy to break down.  The more complex carbohydrates also take more energy to break down than simple carbohydrates like starch and sugar do.

Where people go wrong is thinking they can eat 4 or 5 McDonalds hamburger patties without the buns for lunch, followed by a dinner of T-Bone steak for dinner seven days a week and be OK.  You could make anything sick on a diet like that because there are no vitamins and minerals, and all that fat, grease, and God knows what else they put in there will surely wreak havoc on your intestines.  We carnivores don't just live off muscle tissue, we eat organs - heart, kidneys, liver, etc - which while being all the bits you humans don't like happen to contain all those vitamins and minerals a carnivore needs.  Since humans don't eat entrails, you get those same vitamins and minerals from eating fruits, veggies, and grains.

Tekhead is exactly right in that you can't just go stupid on some diet craze and expect to not have bad side effects.  Use some common sense and treat the marketing hype for what it is - hype.  Cut out the sugar, the candy, the starchy chips and potatoes, eat wheat bread instead of white, eat more green veggies instead of French fries, etc.  Eating a little less at each meal and excercising a little more each day is really the best way to go in the long term if you want to stay trim.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-26, 14:12 »

I agree, but I can't stop eating the white bread.

I've been playing at a music festival this week, and got free breakfasts in my hotel. Tried to fill up on the free breakfasts and so go without lunchs.

Even tghough I did'nt drink, I've had little exersize and  feel bloated.

eat right (the right amount and the right stuff) and mild workouts regularly. Live a long time.

Rocking with the Band
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-26, 14:54 »

my mommy always makes the food with fresh vegtables she buys in the stores .
so with other words , I know what I eat , and its healthy Slipgate - Smile
Vortmax

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-07, 17:01 »

Chiming in here....

I've lost 21 pounds in the past five months by doing a few simple things that I think anyone can do:

1) Cut the sodas.  I used to have a 32-oz. soda every day at about 3 p.m., along with one or two 16-oz. cups every day.  I added that up to about 500-600 "empty calories" I was consuming daily.  Cut those out, and the caloric intake is cut by 30%.

2) Drink water.  Lots of it.  The recommended amount is 64 oz. of water throughout the day.  I now keep a cup of ice water with me all day long, refilling when it's empty.  I find it very refreshing, and actually gave me more energy than anything fizzy/sugary/caffienated, and doesn't have the resultant "crash."

3)  Exercise.  No, I don't mean go out and run for an hour, just start simple.  Up the activity level a little bit.  I work on the 12th floor of my building, so I started to take the stairs.  I don't climb them all in one fell swoop, I started off taking a flight, getting off, then walking around that floor before taking the next flight.  When I got used to that, I went two flights.  Now I'm up to 3.  Just a little exercise goes a long way.

4)  Cut the portions.  I used to eat 3 servings in the evening just because I was hungry and wanted that "full" feeling.  I now force myself to have only one serving.  Yes, I get hungry later, which brings me to...

5)  No eating after 9 p.m.   Being a morning person (work 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.), this was probably the most difficult.  Even when I was eating a bunch at night I'd still find myself wanting some chips, popcorn, or leftovers around 10 p.m.   This was probably the most difficult thing to do, really.

6)  Eat breakfast.   What?  Eat to lose weight?  Surprisingly, yes.  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I usually have some cereal and a cup of OJ.  What this does is jump-start your metabolism.  I find I'm usually hungry about 2 hours after eating.  Of course I don't eat at that time, but wait until lunch, which I try to make my biggest meal of the day.

7)  Snack healthy.   Forget the greasy potato chips, forget the ice cream, try carrots and (fat-free) ranch dressing.  Try a salad.  Try baked tortillas and salsa.   I find myself going through a 1 pound bag of baby carrots every two days.  Love those things!

I've plateaued at this time.  My body has probably reached a balance between energy level and intake.  I plan to give it a month or two at this level, then start upping my activity level a bit.  I want to lose about 10 pounds more.

Oh, and if you "splurge" every now and then, don't worry.  The problem most people encounter is they "splurge" then go "Welp, I blew it." and stop their dieting alltogether.  It's ok to splurge 2-3 times a month, just make up for it the next day by eating less fat or exercising a bit more.

So if you feel you need to lose a bit of weight, try some or all of the above.  The key points are: Cut the soda, cut the extra portions, cut the fatty snacks, up your energy level.   Those four key points will have you dropping pounds easily.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-07, 19:34 »

I've never had weight problems - in fact, looking at my unhealthy eating/exercising habits, I'm disturbingly slim. I've noticed one big difference with people (even though the problem is not as common as in the states, I've come to understand) around me. I don't care about feeling hungry much. I often hear people go for a snack or a meal whenever they feel the slightest twinge of empty-stomachness - never quite grasped that. I notice I'm more alert and feel healthier if I feel 'hungry' once in a while, without overdoing it, obviously.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-07, 21:57 »

well , that must be a dutch cybergeek virus or something then tab

Games keeper <= same problem
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-08, 20:35 »

Quote from: games keeper
well , that must be a dutch cybergeek virus or something then tab

Games keeper <= same problem
Yeah GK because doing gymnastics is SO unhealthy you should be ashamed of yourself!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-09, 00:53 »

I think the largest problem with obesity stems from the largely sedentary lifestyle "enjoyed' by more "civilized" peoples.  That is, sit-down jobs, cars for transportation (instead of walking), general lack of physical activity, etc.  A basic trend in civilization is that the more things are invented to make work easier, the less people depend on their bodies.  Another trend is items that are made for convenience eventually become necessities.  100 years ago automobiles were a luxury, afforded to very few.  Now everyone has them, and anymore it is impossible to travel or even work without them.  With people spending 40 hours a week or more working (assuming they have only one job) and another 5 to 10 hours a week just commuting to work, that leaves little time for physical activity when you factor in sleep, taking care of offspring, shopping for food, clothing, and other necessities, plus general leisure time for sanity's sake.  The old days saw humans more physically fit for the simple reason that they used their bodies more, and used machines less.  The food was of better quality, though less readily available.  The hard part is trying to go back to that.  Who wants to spend 8-10 hours a day working and stressed out from job and traffic, then come home exhausted, and have to try to find time to exercise in addition to that?  It's no mystery to me why Americans and other Westerners are overweight.  It's just a side-effect of civilization.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-09, 14:50 »

heres another problem: beyond school and pro, there arent any sports to play! seriously, when was the last time you heard of a local football or baseball league where anyone with the will and organisation can go throw a team together(i realise there are softball, but softball sucks imo) train, and have a blast... i realise itd be tough with football, but dammit i was so disapointed when i realised ill probably never get to play organised football again because i wasent all that good at it being that i only got to play for the last two years of high school.. im not going to college atm, so that rules that out... n i dont want to play pro really, i just want to play, and train. idk, it just seems like im out of options for sports & athletics now that ive graduated and am not going to college. even if i were going to college atm, itd be an art school or something like that w/ out sports programs.. so where are the sports programs for adults that arent john elway or emmit smith?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: