2024-04-27, 22:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Doom 3 experience (*gah*)  (Read 8075 times)
Genialus

Shambler

« on: 2004-08-06, 15:40 »

I had just gotten Doom 3 *cough* WAREZ *cough* because I wanted to see how bad it would run, here you can read about my findings.

Installation went pretty smooth it didn't even ask for more space.

I started up the game expecting an error to pop up any time telling me to reset the gfx core or something ( it is underclocked due to vertical lines). Surprisingly it actually started, i decided to just press new game and then select the mid skill level. The loading time was quite fast considering how new the game is and how old my pc is.

When the loading was done I expected it to go vertical lines on me, it even made that one frame flicker it does when the lines appear, but this time the ID logo showed up (was i ever happy to see that logo.)
when the main part of the intro was done and the camera switches off the screen and on to looking at the people I saw a horrible sight! the grafics were sporked all the characters had been split in half one side being dark and somewhat correctly textured, while the other half was bright and held almost no texture at all.

The fps was nothing to brag about either, so I've decided that it's simply not worth the trouble at least not untill i get that upgrading done at which point I intend to pay for the game as well.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-06, 15:45 »

What card was that on, because I had that aswell. I ran it on various settings on an radeon 8500. I blame the card/drivers.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 15:45 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-06, 16:08 »

the ATI driver argument is about 2 years out of date.  i have yet to have a driver  proublem with my Radeon 9700 pro since i bought it.  The Radeon 8500 is just about scratching the bottom of the doom 3 barrel so id say its the card.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 16:10 by Woodsman » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-06, 16:32 »

ATI FOREVER.

'll buy to game as soon as it hits the stores over here and when I have the money .
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-06, 17:56 »

I'm not about to blame the card for rendering lighting wrong. It's a simple matter of proper normals and brightness levels per pixel on the model. Sure, it's old, but so are Geforce 2 cards that _don't_ show this discrepancy. This is not part of 'the old argument' since I've never bitched about ATI's drivers for quake3. In fact, I think it runs Quake 3 fine AND makes it look better than the old Nvidia cards.
Makes sense to me that the drivers can't handle the new rendering methods properly though. I'm sure the card itself can.

Also, I won't buy an ATI card, unless their next card is up to par with Nvidia's work again. Their 6800 just blows the 9800 out of the water..
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 17:57 by Tabun » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-06, 18:37 »

are you sure your not thinking of the X800 because the 9800 is much older card than the 6800. It would be like saying "the radeon 9800XT kicks the geforce 4 TI 4600s ass!"
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 18:38 by Woodsman » Logged
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-06, 18:44 »

You guessed JUST right it's the 8500 I'm running it on WAS* it's now archived under U, U for Unplayable.

Tab i asume you mean that it blows the x800 out of the water?
Well I think it's a sad trend but look at this
http://pc.ign.com/articles/535/535268p1.html?fromint=1
It says that HL2 runs 30% faster on ATI than on Nvidia. IMO certain game developers and certain GFX companies are getting a bit too friendly with each other, at least for the consumers' good.
I don't like the fact that I have to choose which games I want good performance in.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-06, 19:10 »

dont forget that probably if you overclock an x800 xt  so that uses as much power as a geforce 6800 PSU eater , you would probably get more FPS
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-06, 19:35 »

I probably mean that, then. It just came up as the latest-and-greatest in the benchmarks I was browsing through. Interesting bit about Athlon 64 procs ruling the day, too.

Agreed on the chipmaker + gamemaker grouphugs. That just plain sucks. What will they think of next, discounts if you buy two new PC's, just to be able to play all the games?
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 19:36 by Tabun » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-06, 19:47 »

yeah no shit i can imagine having guests over and saying "yeah this is my comp for halflife 2 and this is my comp for doom 3 over in the corner there is my farcry machine"
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-06, 20:05 »

That's why PCI express is gonna rock.
On another note, go warez!
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-06, 20:57 »

Quote from: Tabun
Interesting bit about Athlon 64 procs ruling the day, too.

I kinda like it as I was planing on an athlon 64 to my next cpu, but i figured I would wait another 6 month before the big upgrade. for now a new mid-range gfx will have to do since my xp 1900+ isn't dead and I think it should cut it for another while.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-10, 02:18 »

Just a reminder, we don't like Warez around here.

Don't link it, don't offer to link it in a PM, and try to refrain from talking about it...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-10, 06:34 »

for f#cks sake, it's doom-freaking-three, shell out the $50 for it you ungrateful pleebs..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-10, 15:22 »

There's no need for that, Angst. The game isn't even available in the shops here, at this time.
I've downloaded it, installed it, gave it a go to to see how horrible it would run (which was about as bad as I had expected, especially including this effect) and deleted it. I will buy Doom3 and Half-Life 2, when I am going to play them.

First rule of the Book of Tabun: Never be grateful for anything that is a commercial venture. :]

Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #15 on: 2004-08-10, 16:56 »

What tab said.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #16 on: 2004-08-10, 17:43 »

Quote from: Tabun
First rule of the Book of Tabun: Never be grateful for anything that is a commercial venture. :]
Amen.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kelemvor

« Reply #17 on: 2004-08-12, 01:59 »

I only have one problem with Doom 3, and it is the IDIOTS that are in multi-player.  I sat ina game for twenty minutes yelling, "Hey, whoever is not ready, ready up so we can start scoring," with no reasponce at all.  Also the filters do not work correctly when you are looking through the server list, I cannot count the number of times I have had a no password game ask for one while I was connecting.  I hope this is fixed in an upcoming patch.  

Otherwise I love the game.  It is a blast multi-player if you find a game that has intelligent human beings on it.,  or if you have a few people who ready up so they can walk into your rockets.  Either way it is fun... oh and also  Happy first post to me. Slipgate - Ninja
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: