2024-03-28, 19:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Doom3 Hardware Guide (By [H]ardOCP)  (Read 14582 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2004-08-01, 14:53 »

Quote from: Kain-Xavier
Well, I can't really spot differences between 60 FPS and anything greater than 60 FPS mainly because I haven't been exposed to much of anything over 90.  I peak out at about 90 FPS in Quake 3 on 640 x 480, and I average 35 or so with UT2004 at the same resolution and with mostly default settings.  Both look great to me and do not seem to play choppy for the most part.  However, if I drop below 60 FPS in Quake 3, I begin to notice it immediately, but I can't really complain because I used to play Quake 3 with an average FPS of 8 or 10.  And as for monitor refresh rates, I can tell immediately what the setting is.  I don't ever want to go back to 60 Hz, it hurts my eyes.
I mostly agree with this.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2004-08-01, 17:18 »

For me 60 is about as high as i need it to be for the most part. I beyond a 100 or so fps is really just the domain of video card benchmarking rather thanrele actual vance to game play. So in short if you system can churn out 300 fps it might make you feel like your wang is bigger than the other guys but its not really helping your game much.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2004-08-01, 19:35 »

My comps seem to hit a ceiling of 85 or 99.9 which is the monitor refresh rate. (at 100 the monitor blew up mind)

I don't know if I could change this,and don't care really. I'm happy with it.

As long as I can stop the view-bob I'm ok.

I'll play D3 sooner or later, like Tab, but only if I can turn off the bloody bobbing.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-01, 19:36 by shambler » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2004-08-01, 20:03 »

bs. Woods.
More/smoother visual input == better reaction time, higher precision on turning and reaction shots. It's just common sense. Also, just look at the people kicking arse in general, 9/10 of them are NOT playing with 60 fps or whereabouts.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-01, 20:03 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-08-01, 20:46 »

Quote from: Woodsman
So in short if you system can churn out 300 fps it might make you feel like your wang is bigger than the other guys but its not really helping your game much.
Irrelevant.  If I pay money for a graphics card that can churn out 300 FPS I want to be able to use it to its fullest capacity.  That's like games keeper's comment about "You don't need that much frames."  That "Oh you don't need that" mentality is strikingly familiar.  Hey Woods, how about Feinstein saying you don't "need" that Nagant, eh?

I'll decide what I do and do not "need", thank you very much.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2004-08-01, 21:31 »

ah but thats the beauty part , we didnt pay that much money for our frames .
atleast not in doom3 .
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #26 on: 2004-08-01, 22:40 »

Dang I feel sorry for all you hyper-sensitive blokes. So long as I stay above 40 fps or so, I can't tell differences beyond that any more. Ideally I would average around 50 fps, just to get a fairly safe margin for big firefights.

edit: exception to this is monitor refresh rate, which I always keep at a comfortable 85 hz so I don't see the scan lines out of the side of my eye.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-01, 22:41 by OoBeY » Logged
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #27 on: 2004-08-02, 00:41 »

I've been locked at no more than 60Hz for nearly a year now with this LCD, and I cant say it bothers me. Of course the picture is still smooth because the equipment refreshes differently. LCD's are less responsive and more wishy washy than CRT's, but they are so much easier on the eyes. I can easily stare at this thing for 12 hours straight, by which point eye strain is more likely to be from reading too much....

All in all its good, because it means as long as my favourite game runs at 60FPS, I dont feel the need to fork out for better computer equipment.
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #28 on: 2004-08-03, 20:21 »

Alright, that 60 fps thing must clearly just mean models in the game clock or something, I don't know. But I quite frequently break the 60 fps "barrier" on lower settings.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #29 on: 2004-08-03, 21:56 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
This is very good news, and makes me laugh at those people who went out and spent $1000 or more upgrading for Doom3. A 2500+ with a 9800pro (my system) is capable of playing at high quality at 1024x768 without a problem, and the difference between high quality and ultra quality is next to nothing.

Older systems play and look great too!

I'm not so sure about that... I'm running the game at 640x480 with an AthlonXp 2500+ and a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb, and my machine's framerate dips down quite often below 60. I'd have to say on average, the framerate hovers around 30, and even less when there's intermediate action.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #30 on: 2004-08-04, 00:02 »

Tekhead:  What texture quality level are you at though?

And here are my thoughts on DOOM 3's performance with older machines...

I have an Althlon 1500 (1.4 Ghz) with 512 P2100 DDR RAM and  a Geforce 2 MX.

By running the game at 640 x 480 with Low Quality textures and every graphical option present in the menu disabled, I average 12 FPS and peak at about 22 FPS.  The single-player is still awesome in my opinion even if it's slightly less moody.  The real problem comes in the multi-player mode.  Without shadows and a lot of the other graphical niceties, I think DOOM 3's deathmatch loses a lot of its appeal.  It's still fun, but it's not the best or even relatively comparable.  (Grenades rock though.  Slipgate - Grin )  I need to play it some more to finalize my opinion, but I usually can get a good sense of the gameplay after one or two games.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2004-08-04, 00:18 »

Geforce..

mx....

Why bother, even? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #32 on: 2004-08-04, 05:15 »

Well, now that I've tweaked the settings a bit (turned off all the extra goodies like shadows, bumpmapping, etc), I'm getting a near-constant 60fps at 800x600. However... the game just doesn't look the same... considering turning some of those visual features back on so that the damn thing doesn't look like quake 3 =[
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2004-08-04, 05:46 »

You people and your obsession with max fps...

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #34 on: 2004-08-04, 10:08 »

Consistency is the game here, not getting maximal rates.

Framerate hits are the  most frustrating thing to encounter, especially the ones where you start losing mouse control in additino to not being able to see anything.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2004-08-06, 10:03 »

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...doc.aspx?i=2149

Something else to consider here besides graphics cards is CPU.  Read up and you'll get to see where AMD basically kicks Intel in the balls.  Slipgate - Ninja

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2004-08-06, 14:47 »

amd kicks intel more in the balls then that pho .

intel has to buy the copyright from AMD to make there prescott and northwood chipsets since they both  use AMD technologie .

now THATS getting kicked in the balls .
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 14:49 by games keeper » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-08-07, 03:33 »

You know, for once I can't argue with you.  You have a very good point there. Slipgate - Smile

On another note, here's a page that takes a stab at explaining why the Radeon series is lagging behind performance wise in Doom 3.  Bear in mind it's translated, so the English isn't perfect.  Some interesting quotes:

So, the first idea would be that John Carmack has optimized especially well to GeForce-cards and has not yet exhausted the potential of the Radeons. But this is objectively false. As we will still see, John Carmack has shown a brilliant performance as far as the optimization on Radeon-cards is concerned.
Doom 3 renders the Z-buffer at first in order to have the Z-information already available before rendering the color. For the exact working out of shadows ? la Doom 3 this is nevertheless necessary. Thanks to Early-Z with the finished Z-buffer modern cards can exclude a lot of invisible pixels from rendering and thus limit the waste of performance by (unavoidable) overdraw.

Apparently the Radeons don't handle occlusion testing as well as the GeForce cards, resulting in unnecessary overhead for the GPU.  Here's the full page:

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2004/07-30_english.php
« Last Edit: 2004-08-07, 19:44 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: