2024-04-28, 01:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Feedback Thread: 99e (Let us know what you think!)  (Read 32413 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-08-09, 19:05 »

This thread is for feedback of all sorts for the newest version of GenArena, version 0.99e!.

Do you enjoy the game? Great!
Is there room for improvement? Let us know where!
Hated it? Why? How can we make it better?

Note: Weapon animations, with VERY few exceptions, are due in 1.0.  As such, they are not currently avaliable.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-09, 19:24 »

It needs more pimping ;]

I've sent a promotional newsflash to gamer.nl, maybe the dutch crowd can be stirred up a bit...

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-09, 19:31 »

I'm doing what I can. Slipgate - Wink

Where's my big fuzzy focus damnit!?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-09, 22:16 »

Er, what 3?

All I can say is:

FRAGALICIOUS!!!

The HUDs are a really nice touch and I noticed that the bots are significantly tougher - just what I need! Some of those maps are HUGE!!!

Oh and I can see why yez wanted to keep hush over the Doom haste!

One suggestion: how's about doing botfiles for all the available skins (Zael, Flisk, Rampage, etc.)?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-09, 22:26 »

<3 I love everything about this version, the new armor is great, so are the weapons...

Improvements ?? If you could have a seperate sound for the machine gun for every class, that would be great....

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-09, 23:38 »

Fan-friggen-tastic!  Thumbs up!

I love the new HUDs for each class.  As an avid Strogg and Doom player I feel right at home  <3 Couldn't have been any more perfect.

I love the new Slipgate models and the new grenade bounce sounds really take me back.  I love it.  The new Lugar for Earth is great as well.

I'm also enjoying the rearrangement of the Strogg weapons in first person.  Makes it feel a lot more at home.

The new item models are wonderful.  Really adds a sense of diversity (and of course nostalgia...if I spelled that correctly).

I must ask though.  Why did you take away the animation for the Strogg Blaster?  Its not a huge deal, but I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-09, 23:44 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-10, 00:52 »

magnificent

well, we scored another server yesterday thanks to Oz. maybe he can draw some people from the ETG crowd or something.

we just need to spread the word. we need like a Street Team or something.

btw, welcome new players. we're glad to have you aboard. help us out and tell your friends about the mod. those looking for a whole new deathmatch or CTF experience from your favorite id games should look no further than Generations Arena <3

Slipgate - Ownage
« Last Edit: 2004-08-10, 00:53 by mecha » Logged
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-10, 00:55 »

Quote from: Rubilacxe
I must ask though.  Why did you take away the animation for the Strogg Blaster?  Its not a huge deal, but I'm just curious.
Copying and pasting from the 99e bug reports thread:
The animation code was wiped when the blaster's projectile and firing codes were redone.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-10, 02:53 »

99e is a success, if you ask me..
We had lots of fun on the Euro server just a few mins ago. Hell, most of the players were from the states, enjoying themselves regardless of insane pings ;]

I've uploaded two demos:

1. A good short demonstration of the Q3BFG in action, on llurk's beautiful q2dm8 (the warehouse) remake. Not the best way to use the BFG, but damn, the sparklies are so pretty :]
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/20040809_ll_q2dm8_q3bfg.zip

2. Tons and tons of fun in ReBoOt's q2dm3 (the fragpipe) remake (v2).
A short (10 min) game where lots of funny things happen. Showcases chaotic lavadiving contests, odd sniper shots, frag pipe abuse, invul and quad fun etc etc. This demo pretty much sums up why I love to play Gen ;]
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/20040809_req2dm3_fun.zip

Just unzip to generations/demos (make the dir if it doesn't exist) and doubleclick the demos in the demos menu :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-10, 07:42 »

Quote from: Rubilacxe
Technical answer:  I had to change the way the Strogg weapons were positioned for left and right handedness to work.  The blaster was using Q3-style position animation (hacked in recoil effect).  The weapons no longer position in this fashion, so the animation had to be killed.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-10, 08:27 »

I like the fact that this release made people join the servers!
I agree with tab, it needs more pimping. I think I'll go pimp it to the seals.

Ohh ohh I LOVE the Doom mega health.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-10, 09:16 »

99e is really good.

DD_133

Imp

« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-10, 19:41 »

Wow. That sums it up. Noticed a few bugs, but i'll report them in the right forum. Thanks guys for all your hard work, Generations is the king of Q3 mods. Slipgate - Grin
UnixPimp

« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-11, 01:15 »

The new  ammo, items, and power-up models are excellent.  The new weapon models and skins are also excellent.

I also like the new skins for some of the player models.  The "Swine" skin is great.  The Earth class needs more skins with a Wolf3D theme.  Maybe a Hitler skin or a Zombie skin.

The "Death Knight" skin for the Slipgate class is very cool.  

Some more Earth (Wolf3D) maps would be nice for the next map pack.   Wolf3D did not have death match, so it would be cool to see DM maps inspired by the Boss levels in Wolf 3D, or even a map inspired by the final map in Spear of Destiny.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-11, 01:17 »

it's so hard to find good wolf3d maps.  I've been looking for years.

How do you make a good map based on a game made of 8x8 cubes?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2004-08-11, 01:31 »

Creativity, and multiple rooms & floors in a dungeon enviroment =]
Dogbert

« Reply #16 on: 2004-08-11, 01:45 »

Fantastic game. More fun than I know what to do with. Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-08-11, 03:46 »

Quote from: Tekhead
Creativity, and multiple rooms & floors in a dungeon enviroment =]
Well, Wolf3D did have those end-of-level elevators.  Maybe some elevators (lifts), with door triggers, some broken sections of floor you can drop through, and stairwells for added measure could make for a more multi-level environment?  I'd move any further discussion of that to Laced Neptune though.

Keep that feedback coming!

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2004-08-11, 08:52 »

When I loaded 99e on my ATI powered comp it defaluted the handicap to 5. I didn't know what this was, so left it at the time. I've since read about it. on my ati comp it goes all the way up to 100! if I set it. I am probubly wrong, but I thought it was only from 1 to 5.

This didn't happen on my voodoo comp mind. do I make sence?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-08-11, 10:11 »

Yeah, handicap can range from 0 to 100, with 0 and 100 being "no handicap".  Anything inbetween and you will do damage times handicap (as a percent).  Knockback is unaffected, and we also removed the health gimp from handicap.  I was playing with a handicap of 60 earlier, and that is quite hard!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: