2024-04-19, 23:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Forlorn Hope (Autoselecting this map?)  (Read 6545 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2004-08-29, 20:17 »

This is a weird problem I've noticed lately.

It most commonly occurs the very first time I load up Generations.

If I try to start a bot match, no matter what the settings or the level, it will choose The Forlorn Hope...even if I didn't choose it.  I'll choose a level much further down from The Forlorn hope, like say Simply Dead, and it still chooses The Forlorn Hope first.  So I don't think I'm just accidentally choosing it.

Again, this usually happens the first time I try to start a match.  Whether it be Free For All or anything, but I seem to see it most if the first server I try to start is a Tourny.

Does anyone else experience this?

-JL
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-29, 23:49 »

yep , I did .
its a known issue .
they say that it is broken at the moment so the best way to load up a map is trough the console .
its broken because they want to make an easier way to script mapcycles . for servers.
I think pho is gonna fix it in the next patch
/me looks at the bird .
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-30, 01:19 »

Yeah, I get that too. Kinda irks me.

What's worse is the set-in-stone map rotations, and how they affect game setting changes. If you callvote a gametype change then callvote a specific map, you won't go to that map but rather the first map on the preset map rotation. This also occurs if you callvote a gametype change and do a map_restart - it doesn't restart the map, but rather loads up that gametype-specific map rotation again. It's sort of a minor annoyance rather than a bug though.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-30, 03:21 »

This is exactly what Phoenix is (or rather, will be) working on (next). We'll have better random-mapcycles and whatnot, and this thing shall be no more then. As can be read in .plan's and other posts on this board, it'll probably mean a .99e patch of some kind.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
DD_133

Imp

« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-30, 15:25 »

Here's how I fixed this annoying problem. Go into the gen dir, look in the Gen_*.cfg (* meaning ffa or ctf or tourny or teamdm)

And wipe everything except the notes beginning the // and the "vstr m1" at the bottom of the cfgs.

That'll fix it. Slipgate - Grin
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-30, 16:55 »

That doesn't "fix" anything, unfortunately, because nothing is broken.  Let me explain.

In order to facilitate map rotations across changes in gametype I implemented a system whereby the game executes one of four .cfg files depending on gametype.  Any time the g_gametype cvar is changed it will execute the new config so yes, the first map will always be the first one in the rotation no matter what.  However, once that map loads you CAN select any map and it will load that map properly.

The reason I went to this system was twofold.  First, it fixes the lack of map rotation problem when you change gametypes.  It's awful when people want to play CTF or Team DM and callvote the gametype change and you're stuck on FFA maps.  Can't play CTF without flags!  Second, I did not have time prior to .99e's release to do what I want to do with the map rotations and switch over to a list-style format in the code.

In the upcoming bugfix patch this new rotation format will be implemented, and those .cfg's will be replaced with a new list-style format.  These files willl still autoexec, but it will not automatically force the first map in the list.  They'll be held in a que.  Servers will also gain the ability to randomize the map rotation to keep things interesting.

In the mean time, if you want to change the files I'd recommend changing the last line in the file to "set nextmap vstr m1" instead of wiping them clean like that.  Then you can load any map you want from the getgo and still have some kind of map rotation present.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-30, 20:20 »

Or we could develop a small-load specialty map in which players walk into various booths to vote for gametypes and maps!

I've seen it done before... forget where though... I think it was some QW mod.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-30, 20:41 »

Tek, I believe you're talking about the portal system featured in Threewave.  Setting up a Threewave portal for the Q3A version of the mod is immensely fun, but there are over 100 cvars related to getting a 64-map portal up and running.  I would rather not see Phoenix burst into flames earlier than he is supposed to.   <3   The que system sounds like a good idea to me.  Slipgate - Wink

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-30, 21:26 »

This is basically what happens in Natural Selection (HL mod) too, but I really don't see the point.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-31, 04:06 »

Sorry, no portal map.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: