2024-03-29, 05:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music  (Read 14667 times)
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #20 on: 2003-05-18, 21:20 »

Rocket Arena has something like this, an mp3 player built in.
I dont think it does those things though, it might, but i doubt it
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #21 on: 2003-05-23, 08:26 »

I like the tune that was in the pit in doom2. If I remember correctly it was called theDA.mid. The pit of course being map 09 right after tricks and traps. Quake 2 had some really good tracks too. I especially like the one that played in the Guardhouse and later in the Meat Processing Plant. One I really liked the sound of was the music going in the first Terminator movie when Arnold was clearing out the LAPD building, but of course that would belong on a Terminator game. Doom episode2 level 2 had a really good, creepy tune especially the Super Nintendo version. B)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2003-05-24, 03:50 »

A few problems here.  Let me start off by saying any direct rips of original game music is OUT for legal reasons.  As for how music works, music is cued by the map not the game code.  If the mapper has assigned no music file when creating the .bsp no music will play.  Since maps are being kept in separate packs from the Generations mod itself we CANNOT make code provisions for specific maps.  This is also for legal reasons since Id has not made their position clear regarding "remake" maps.

As for MP3 support, forget it, it's not happening in Generations.  In order for Rocket Arena to have MP3 support they had to do two things:  First they had to incorporate Winamp's MP3 codecs into the Q3 source.  That leads to the second thing:  They had to compile their mod as .dll files instead of .qvm files.  Why does this matter?  .qvm's are a LOT harder to hack into that .dll's since .dll's leave Q3 open to external function calls into Windows.  That's the ONLY reason the mp3 support works.  It also means cheaters galore.  Mods compiled with .qvm files are in theory a LOT less hackable by script kiddies and cheaters since they work in conjunction with Pure Server.  If you want different tunes to play while fragging, then I would suggest popping in a CD or running Winamp in the background and turning down the in-game music volume.

In the end it's going to be up to the individual mappers to decide what music to use outside of the normal Quake 3 music.  Generations is a large download as it is, and so are the maps.  I see no reason to bombard people with 100 to 200 megs of music to go with 8 or 9 playable maps that would otherwise take up maybe 40 to 60 megs. Slipgate - Sad

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2003-05-24, 10:10 »

or do like me and download all the doomusic mp3 format . convert them to wav and put them in your quake 3 folder.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2003-05-24, 11:48 »

Games Keeper why do u convert them into .wav? you can't play them in q3 anyway, unless you replace id's orig. music..
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2003-05-24, 16:04 »

I but it did work (just type in /play nameofwav.wav and it plays it .
 Doom - Huh?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-05-24, 19:47 »

Ah i tought u replaced the id music, k then i understand Slipgate - Smile
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #27 on: 2003-05-26, 03:34 »

I don't think it would be too tough for Q3 to send a command to Winamp to play a certain song upon loading a certain map. It doesn't have to be part of the actual mapper-defined music if the in-game music is turned down and Quake is just telling winamp to play a file.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2003-05-26, 05:15 »

Gnam, the point is sending commands OUTSIDE of Q3 requires a .dll build.  Q3's I/O works like this:

Virtual Machine --> Quake3.exe
Virtual Machine <-- Quake3.exe

For parsing or writing to a file, it works like this:

Virtual Machine --> Quake3.exe --> file (.txt or .cfg)
Virtual Machine <-- Quake3.exe <-- file (.txt or .cfg)

This ensures that any/all system calls are native to the Quake 3 engine so that cgame.qvm CANNOT talk to an external module.  This prevents a whole host of cheats.  Since Quake3.exe does not have a trap_ function to talk to another program that can be called from inside a VM it would require compiling a .dll file, which opens the door to cheaters and script kiddies to write all sorts of aimbots, etc.  MP3 support is a dead issue.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #29 on: 2003-05-26, 06:43 »

AH YES, the good ol' legal crap that got you guys in hot water the first time. How did Mykul put his rendition of DEAD.mid on the Not Quite Earth map?? Did he make it from scratch, or is he some kind of DJ recording wizard???? Who wants to hear old soundblaster pro junk anyway if they don't have to? Maybe you can make your own thoroughly mutilated versions to put in maps. And if there's any great composers among you, make something new by all means. I remember one tune in particular from the first Doom that I thought code be reworked and made into some really hot sh*t. I can't remember what maps it was in or what the id guys called it, but it sounded like if it was made with real drums and had a few tweaks it would rock.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #30 on: 2003-05-26, 08:10 »

Vadertime: I think Ampehtamine made the song.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2003-05-26, 14:36 »

yes, amphetamine made that remix for myk's map. The full version is a bit longer than the 30-second loop played in mykul's map though.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #32 on: 2003-05-27, 05:01 »

I found the one is was thinking of. It's in DOOM episodes 1 and 3 level 6. Mt Erebus and the Phobos computer lab. Another good tune is in the Deimos Anomaly, episode2 level1. Has amphetamine remixed those too? If he hasn't tell "speed" those would be 2 kick*ss remixes. Slipgate - Laugh
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: