2024-04-25, 21:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 Impressions (I played the Demo today)  (Read 24302 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-09-22, 01:12 »

So now that the demo is out, I can talk about this game since, well, what's to spoil about a demo, right?  Well if you've not played the full game OR the demo then consider this entire thread a spoiler, and stop reading!

Technology

Quite impressive.  The detail is quite good, and by playing with the options it's quite amazing how much of it is actual bump-mapping.  Things that would take thousands of polygons to create can now be done with bumpmapping.  Oh, if only Q3 had this, Gen's weapon models could go from looking damn good to looking !@#!@ unbelievable!

The shadowing, specularity, and fluid animation system add a lot to the environment.  Watching your guy in the mirror actually twist his body, instead of rotating in the clunky fashion of the Q3 models or the cartoonish nature of the Q2 models is a fresh change.

Performance

Pretty choppy for me.  At 640x480, medium quality, all options on it's quite rare to see smoothness at all.  There's no way it can be "smooth as glass" on my hardware.  I think my biggest limitation is CPU, as if there's a lot of physics activity in the same room it can slow down rendering more than just walking into a larger space.  Reducing options like bump-mapping had no noticeable effect on performance.  Dropping to low-quality on the texturing helped a little.  "Minimum system requirements" = "barely tolerable gameplay."  What was even more amusing was bumping the settings to "Ultra Quality" at 1024x768.  It's like when Quake first came out, and I tried to play it on a 486!

Atmosphere

Dark and claustrophobic so far, at least Mars City is.  If anything, this feels like a cross between Half-Life and System Shock 2 so far.  In the original Doom, you arrived in response to a distress call, and got there AFTER things went wrong.  Here, you watch them go wrong.  I must admit that Half-Life's scripting of the experiment's failure felt a little less rushed, but that may have to do with the fact that you were at Ground Zero at the time.  So far it feels very far removed from the Doom I've come to know and love.

Monsters

When the hell did Zombies get smart?  The zombies with guns tend to have much better AI than the wandering melee-only zombies.  It's more like fighting actual soldiers than "zombies with guns".  Again, shades of Half-Life.  They're not too hard to take down once you know how they work, but I was hoping for more cannon fodder and less soldier-ish behavior.  Call me old-school.  I also noticed that if you shoot a civilian they fold with one pistol shot, yet as a zombie they take several.  Behold the power of possession?

Imps...  Not your brown thorny bastards any more.  They like to come out of every nook and crack they can.  Still shotgun fodder, but it's a lot harder to box with them than it used to be.

Exploding barrels

What can I say.  They suck.  They explode instantly, they don't have that old "knock the barrels around" effect, and what's with the wimpy explosion sound?  Sure they'll pulverize anything near by, but I like explosions to sound like "BOOM", not some wimpy asthmatic gasping noise.

Tinker Factor

As in, what kind of stuff can you play with in the environment?  Pretty decent.  There's a lot of stuff you can interact with, but not to the Duke Nukem level.  I was hoping for more physics objects, like hoses that can be pushed around.  So far you can nudge some boxes or get caught in machinery, etc.  Boxes are VERY hard to push when up against a wall if you can't get directly behind them.  In Q2 or Half-life you could strafe them at an angle and slide them along a wall.  You can't "grab" and pull on them either, so that's a complaint there.  None of them are breakable either.  Even the cardboard paper boxes are indestructible.  I realize they're "Doom Crates" but isn't that a tad extreme?

Controls

What can I say?  Standard FPS arrangement.  My only gripe is NOT having a toggled run option.  I haven't dug into any config stuff yet to see if there's an option outside of the menu choices, and I know the game is supposed to be at a slower pace, but this WOULD be preferred over having to hold the bloody shift key down.  It's hard to hold down shift + movement while trying to switch guns or reload at the same time you're diving for cover from a machinegun zombie, or trying to jump out of the way of an imp about to come flying at you through a doorway.

Weapons

Fists - for when you're out of everything else I guess?

Well the flashlight hurts.  Two bops in the head and a common zombie goes down.

Pistol seems 100% accurate to me all the time.  Not much damage, but it's good for long-range or potshotting the slower zombies.

Shotgun... what did they do, try to combine the single shotty and SSG?  It shoots 12 pellets like a magnum 00 buck round, but it practically sprays them all over the damned room!  I love the power in this gun, but it's just about worthless unless you're dead on top of something.  No real shotgun patterns that loosely, even if it's cylinder bore.  I would have preferred a tighter spread with less damage, and throw in the double-barreled later on in the game for use on the big boys.  I seriously detest the limited usefulness of this weapon as a result of this setup.  About all it's good for is popping things point blank as they come in through a door or around a corner.  Used in that roll, it excells.

The machinegun is a P90, as far as design purposes are concerned.  It's quite useful, I'd say more useful than the shotgun since it's accurate across a room.  Used in short bursts you can tear up the more dangerous zombies and imps go down without having to get point blank or waste 3 shells (or eat three fireballs) trying to.

Other neat stuff

Security drones rock!  A walking guide bot with a built-in gun turret, who could ask for more?  Throw in the cute little chirpy noises it makes, along with it's ungainly, spider-like appearance and you have probably the most charming thing in the game so far.  Just sit back and let it machinegun anything in your way, or let it distract the monsters, then turn your fire on them while they're distracted by the bot.  Two guns are better than one, after all.

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher... anything look familiar there?

The PDAs are loaded with information.  Some of it useful, some of it not, but hey, I like that sort of stuff.  If a game is going to be of the "slower" variety, I like having backstory and sub-plots thrown in.

Stuff hidden all over the place.  I've found probably 4 or 5 secret ammo/item caches at LEAST on the two levels in the demo so far.

Other gripes

I don't know what the absorbtion rate on that green armor is, but you might as well be wearing air.  If anything it feels like the old .33% absorbtion green armor from the original Doom.

They used the Q3 health sounds....  AWK!  Slipgate - WTF

I understand the need for darkness in the game, but I think it's somewhat overdone.  Granted, can't judge the whole game by two levels, but so far, except for the initial no-combat part, most of that beautifully rendered scenery is hidden in shadow.  Kind of makes for a waste of texturing unless you have the flashlight out.

I've noticed a few physics quirks too.  Some dead bodies flip out like you've put 1 million volts through them just by punching the things.  If you're that damned strong why doesn't one punch waste a zombie?

The "dissolve" effect on the bodies...  It's a neat effect, though not really made clear as to why zombie corpses would do that, but I miss the old "blow the corpse apart" gib effects.

Final thoughts

As a game, I like it to a degree.  It's creepy, but I don't think it's "scare the crap out of you" creepy as some people have said so far.  Some things startle if you're not attentive, but I guess some people scare too easily.  The system demands of the game make it difficult for me to justify purchasing it at this time.  I don't think people with minimum-spec systems like mine can really enjoy the gameplay owing to the choppy visuals.  It's hard to hit moving objects at 5-10 frames per second, which I can say it honestly drops to this level at some points where there's a lot of complex scenery.

I also don't think it's the most "to die for" game in existance either.  Id said their goal was to make a slower, creepy, nightmarish environment as opposed to the "90 MPH action shooter" the original Doom was.  In that I think they have succeeded.  I guess it's too early for me to judge if I would consider it a worthy successor to Doom and Doom II in that respect.  I'd have to play the full game to draw that conclusion.  Right now it feels more like "System Shock 2 * Half-Life + Doom Monsters", though the only "Doom Monster" I've encountered so far in the demo is the Imp.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-22, 02:39 »

In the preview of Doom3 that was at Quakecon2002,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Slipgate - WTF

Armor info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 2004-09-22, 02:41 by Tekhead » Logged
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-22, 02:47 »

The framerate issues are easily resolved with some tweaks you can find. Try This: http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/Doom3Guide.htm
I agree with you on the darkness bit, it gets a bit irritating.
The shotgun's alot more useful that you think. Due to fact that you'll be fighting in small spaces most of the time, it'll pretty much be your minute-by-minute workhorse.
You can also shoot out some lights with the pistol, though it's not useful, it's still fun. Slipgate - Tongue
Also, Doom 3 has a bad habit of having s_maxsoundspershader defaulted at 1. Set it to atleast 10 to get the most of your audio goodness.
Score 25000 points or more on STTP3 for a special email in your PDA. Thumbs up!
The only solution for the run problem is Windows's sticky keys accessability option. Not the best, but it works for me. Slipgate - Laugh
To bring down the console, hold ctrl and alt and press ~. You can pretty much then give yourself all the weapons and try them out. Slipgate - Wink
I think you can spawn any monster you want as well. I haven't played the demo to see if any monsters weren't included for spawning. The spawn command can summon the beasts. And pressing tab after typing spawn shows you a list of all the entities you can spawn. The item and weapon entity names can also be used in the give command. Nifty. Slipgate - Laugh
The dissolve effect was mainly made for performance reasons.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-22, 02:50 by Footman » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-22, 03:22 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Super Turbo Turkey Puncher... anything look familiar there?
Do you mean the "in-game" graphics of STTP, or the cheap ripoff of Capcom's Street Fighter Alpha 3 logo? Slipgate - Grin

I played the game for a while... and quite honestly, I wasn't very impressed. Sure, it looks fantastic, but it just doesn't play like a game with the "Doom" name on it. It's exactly as Phoenix said -- it feels like "Half-Life * System Shock 2 + Doom Monsters." Sorry folks, that's not what I think of when I see the big-D name on a game.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-22, 03:23 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-22, 08:22 »

The "dissolve" effect on the bodies... It's a neat effect, though not really made clear as to why zombie corpses would do that, but I miss the old "blow the corpse apart" gib effects.
Funny, zombies don't dissolve on MY end; only the hellspawn critters.

And Carmack said it himself, Doom3 is revisionist history. There's even an in-game joke later on if you're paying enough attention.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-22, 09:26 »

The "tweaks" really didn't give me any performance benefit, but at least now I know how to get to the console.

I meant the in-game graphics for STTP.  I've never seen Street Fighter Alpha 3.

All of the non-demo material is disabled.  For example, I can spawn in a "pinky demon", but it's just a shadow box on the floor with a collision volume that does nothing but look around.  Can't access any of the heavy weapons either.  They have no classnames, even though there are references to them.

Angst:  If you punch zombie corpses in the head they turn into a bloody skeleton that fades into thin air but leaves a blood puddle on the floor.  The imps vaporize with a "burn away" effect.

There is an "always run" option available in the console commands (in_alwaysRun), but it's restricted to multiplayer.  You also can't use "_speed" from the console.  It MUST be bound to a key.  I did find some useful light control cvars though, to take some of the "dimness" out of the level.  Here's what I set.

r_gamma 1.2
r_brightness 1.2
r_lightlevel 2.5

That helps a bit.  I also found that I can give myself a nice set of binoculars with the following scheme:

seta farview "g_fov 20; sensitivity 2; bind e vstr nearview"
seta nearview "g_fov 90; sensitivity 7; bind e vstr farview"

bind "e" to "vstr farview" and you've got a toggled sniper zoom.  It's not really useful for shooting things, at least not in the demo, but it does let you see detail from across the map you might otherwise not get to look at.

Another fairly serious gripe I have is the 60 FPS internal clock.  I really don't care at what speed the game logic calculates, but it does NOT seem to interpolate between player positions at all.  There are some spots where I can get up to and over 100FPS while staring at a wall or floor by setting com_fixedtic -1.  However, the video update ALWAYS jitters when I strafe regardless of my fps, so the effect is that strafing and/or turning makes the world slightly blurry.  I despise blurry movement!  If I set com_fixedtic to 1 I can kill off the blurry if the fps indicator pushes up to the monitor's refresh rate cap.  The problem is... com_fixedtic 1 hardlinks the game's logic to the refresh, so at 20 fps the game is in slow motion, and at 100fps it's turbo-speed.  Setting the monitor to a 60Hz refresh won't help either since 60Hz  looks like a strobe light to me, and the game doesn't run at a PERFECT 60Hz.  This means the movement is somewhat smooth, but "jumps" now and again, which is not good either.  It seems the only way to get things "smooth" and still run at the proper speed is to lock the monitor to 60Hz, set com_fixedtic 1, and be able to maintain a STEADY 60FPS throughout the entire game.  That's not going to happen on my hardware.  I realize I'm not going to get 100fps or even a steady 60FPS out of the game without some rather expensive hardware, but the lack of positional interpolation really bothers me.  I know for a fact this is an interpolation issue because I set timescale down to .1 and instead of the nice, smooth glass-like movement you'd get out of Q3 your position jumps from one position to another a few times a second.

Another gripe is when the hell did Mars get  1/3 MORE gravity than Earth?  If anything it should be 1/3 the gravity OF Earth, so in essense everything should be extremely light.  It feels like a lot of corners were cut in order to break away from the physics tricks from Q3 and prior.  I really don't care about physics tricks.  If they want to lock player movement onto a 60Hz clock that's fine, but interpolate the damned viewposition updates and let me run my video at whatever flocking speed *I* (THE ALMIGHTY PLAYER WHO PAYS YOUR SALARY) want!  If you want a lower jump height, that's great too, just lower the Z acceleration for player jumping (duh!).  Why muck with the gravity?  I think it would have been great to have Earth-like gravity inside the structures (we assume artificial gravity generators) and lighter gravity on the Mars surface if you stray away from the structures.

I think that whenever I get around to actually buying Doom 3, the first thing I'm going to do is mod some kind of visual lerping for the vieworigin to get rid of that blasted jitter, and unlock the "always run" option from being multiplayer only.  THEN I'll play the game all the way through.  As it stands I'm finding more and more irritants, mostly visual, that are reducing my prospects for buying the game any time soon.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-22, 09:29 by Phoenix » Logged

Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-22, 20:35 »

Noone said the game was 100% realistic. Slipgate - Tongue *dodges a brick*
Make sure your Direct X is 9.0c or higher and that your videocard drivers are up to date.

Just a question, Pho, what are your specs? I'm accually a little below the minimum and the game runs suprisingly smooth for me, and I'm using a GF4 MX 440, 1.4 ghz, 512mb ram.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-22, 20:51 by Footman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-22, 21:29 »

My specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53 GHz, Palamino core
Asus A7V266-e mainboard
512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Chaintech GF4 Ti4600

Video driver version:  6.14.10.6177
Direct-X version:  9.0b

Now before you jump on my for my direct-x version, let me clarify what I'm talking about.  Let's take Mars City, when you first come in through the bioscanner.  After you leave the scan room, turn right, and walk toward the information display pannel.  Look at the two paintings on the wall above the bench.  Now, face those paintings, then strafe left or right while keeping your eyes FIXED on the paintings, paying attention to the borders and text.  What you'll see is an effect that looks something like this:

Stationary:

Moving:

This drives me up the wall, enough to make me not want to play the game.  I do NOT have this problem in Quake 3, Quake 2, or GLQuake.  The reason is in any of these games I can set my com_maxfps (or cl_maxfps) up to match my screen's refresh rate.  Even locking at 125FPS in Gen isn't a problem since updating at 125Hz doesn't jitter the screen NEARLY as bad as that blasted 60Hz update in Doom 3.  Even at that, I'm not wandering around reading stuff in Gen, I'm just concerned with blowing things up.  I can replicate this behavior by setting com_maxfps or cl_maxfps down to the 60Hz range in Q3 and Q2, so it is most certainly a render clock vs. refresh rate problem.

The bottom line is that the game's visual update clock MUST MEET OR EXCEED the monitor's refresh settings to avoid this behavior.  Maybe I'm just being bitchy because my eyes take pictures faster than human eyes?  Maybe I'm the only one running into this problem?  I don't know, but it's a severe gripe for me.  If there is some other way around this besides modding the game then someone please let me know!
« Last Edit: 2007-12-01, 19:11 by Phoenix » Logged

Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-22, 22:23 »

What about increasing the smooth mouse option? Tried that?(Probably not a solution, lol)
I don't have the bluring/doublevision.... there's a g_doublevision command. I've never messed with it myself. But I have it set to off anyways.

If none of the above work, you can try messing with the video console commands, like the r_ and image_ prefixed commands. Slipgate - Tongue

About the armor. You can accually increase the absorption rate of Armor in-game with g_armorprotection. It's defaulted at 0.3, same as slippy's green armor. I have mine set at 0.5, same as Doom's blue armor.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-22, 23:28 by Footman » Logged
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-23, 01:09 »

The shotgun isn't as bad once you get used to it, but the range is deffintely limited to about 10 -15 meters, unless you're shooting at one of the bigger monsters. I would still say its about the best weapon for fighting imps and zombies, you just have to be mobile and use it like a long-ranged melee weapon. Once you get the imp's patterns down, it's pretty easy to just  sidestep their first fireball, zip across the room, and put one in their gut.

The machinegun is also very good for situations where you don't want to leave your secured position in the doorway across the hall. Obviously, you can't go point blank with your shotgun in every situation or you could get flanked by something you didn't see around the corner. If you go for all chest shots, the MG should down an imp or zombie VERY fast. If you go for headshots, which is very tempting, unfortunately most of the rounds will miss and it will take twice as long,

The pistol, like you said, is good for long range if you don't have MG ammo. It's also good for taking out former maintenance guys (zombies w/ out guns) without wasting ammo for your better weapons. Like the MG, just go for chest shots. Head shots will take a zombie down in 3 rounds, but given the way they stumble and lunge about you can land the required 5 chest shots much faster most of the time.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-23, 01:36 »

Nah Pho, it's not 'your eyes' - but a lot of people these days seem to think '60 fps is enough!'.
It's just very odd and horrifying that the ID Software dev-team now belongs to that partical disturbing kind of thinkers.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-24, 02:36 »

Quote from: Footman
What about increasing the smooth mouse option? Tried that?
g_doublevision command. I've never messed with it myself. But I have it set to off anyways.

you can try messing with the video console commands, like the r_ and image_ prefixed commands.
Been there, done that.

Tab:  60FPS is NOT enough, I don't care what anyone says.  I'm getting more and more of the mindset that if I can't have it my way, I'm going to MAKE things my way.  That's the essence of modding, of course but feeling that I have to mod something to be able to stand, visually, the out-of-the-box version of it?  That's what I'm drawing issue with.

MaximumKarnage

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-25, 05:05 »

hey guys. i tried out the demo, and im actually quite impressed. not the fast paced doom that i was expecting it to be, but 1. they meant for it to be a slower game, and 2. its only the beginning of the game, who knows if it gets more intense later on?

In terms of performance, the game would start going kind of slow in big rooms and such, but it was always playable. in hallways the game ran fine. as in completely smooth. usually wasnt the case when security guards starting running in to take you down, though.

Like phoenix said, the darkness can get annoying at times, and alot of times keep you from fighting back against those dang security guards (the shotgun ones are painful). its funny, the only old id game that could scare me was Doom and Doom 2, and Doom 3 is following suit so far. I had plenty of times where i'd jump 3 feet when something suddenly jumps out at you. sure scared the crap outta me. my scariest one though? In the bathroom in Mars City, try looking in the mirror on Hard mode. (not sure if it triggers on any other mode, i looked in the mirror on Normal and nothing happened) you'll have the bejeebers scared out of you (especially if youre wearing headphones like i was, geez...i had to throw off the headphones and look away, it was so sudden), and then have to face an ambush charging in the room. (Edit: well, the whole mirror thing probably triggers on hard mode and nothing else, just as an excuse to throw more monsters at you. pretty good excuse if you ask me, lol)

try it and see  Thumbs up!

while im at it, is it possible to unlock nightmare mode in the demo?
« Last Edit: 2004-09-25, 05:20 by MaximumKarnage » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-25, 10:06 »

I am not as technical as most of you, but i'd like to say that i do noit enjoy doom3 very much. i'm about an hour into the game and find it monotinos. same dark room, same thing going to happen.

i'm just looking forward to HL2. that seems to have more veriety to it.
JLMode

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-25, 11:36 »

You guys just complain too much. As a near-future psycologist i?ll tell ya dat, one of the most common mistakes we humans do, is dat, expect. Because we learn from childhood to ?expect?, many people later on ends up messed up emotionaly because they always ?expect? almost every time dat, what ever is happenin it is good, no matter how catastrophic things may be, dis actually is related to the fact dat we have a psychic protection with us dat all the times does not allow us to assimilate somethin dat in all cases its very recomendable to do: just accept, accept dar somethin we think dat could not be, like ?dis is not happenin to me!!!? when you crash yer dad car dat ya borrow from him, and things like it that can get worse to ?he or she cant be dead!!!? and dat thinking will take ya to look forth psycological attention.

So after all dis crap, guys, accept what ya have, start thinkin less and lesser the ?why dis or dat, didnt happen dis way!!!? and you will have an edge and feel not ass bad as if you choose not to accept somethin, as far as i?m concern, DOOM3 is just great!!!! and i?m in a way like pho, DOOM is my favorite game of all time, when i get to play the DOOM64 series, i realize dat the original Doom could be implemented with a bit more ?cinematic? or ambient music dat makes ya more unconfortable, like you really are in hell, and of course Doom almost did dat, since i have downloaded some mp3s from the original, or single mixes or songs based on the first one, you can say that im really a fan of the game, not to mention i get more into it since ill get to play it with JDoom and the 3D models.

All the people I know told me that at least they jump from their seats like 10 times per map, and for me it was i think the same as they, since it is the game that has freak me out more than Undying, that was complicated but was also a good game, not to mention that also features a very well dynamic shadows as well, so DOOM3 is awesome!!! and ill tell ya since my machine is an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2Ghz, 378Mb ram, and a 64Mb GForce3 video card and using the lowest of all settings it really scares ya!!! so finish DOOM3, then play Halo2 and Half Life2, then try to be the most objective as you can be, and decide for yerselfs if DOOM is the best, no matter how much different it is from the original one, since the old school feeling is dat, ?old? and i think its not only me, buy all the guys dat use to play games from dat time when the Ultimate Doom was the king and other like Duke Nukem and Blood came behind, get a feel of greatness, of something different from the ones we play now, that feel cool, intense but deep inside ya know its not the same but in a way ya cant compare them because a number of differences in criteria.

So recieve a nice warm salutation from me, stop the forces of hell (we already know dat theyre goin to reach the earth) and stay sharp, beat the game in the hardest mode and try the mods, specially the ?duct tape mod? and the ?cooperative mod?. See ya around...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-25, 15:49 »

wots happenin madsk1lls woot!
yo homey, dis 'o dat about ''expect'' dosent mean d1ck yo!
rox0rs me box0rs dis & dat yadig!

Seriously though, I'm above the mental level of 'retarded oatmeal grinding primate' so I can combine common sense with expectations, as well as form an objective opinion.
If and when I say I think something sucks, I do. I don't mean that I expected it to be too much, I don't mean I was born in the wrong era and I didn't just jump to conclusions.

Let's just asume for a while that we've all evolved beyond the CS-players stereotype that dislikes everything that isn't the way it used to be. Just give everyone here atleast the benefit of the doubt.

Aside from all that, I am still curious about Doom3, because I sure as hell am not going to play it before I have decent hardware. And believe it or not: 60 fps limits suck. They really do - 'dats' a fact.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
MaximumKarnage

« Reply #16 on: 2004-09-25, 18:08 »

ok, well i finished the demo on hard mode finally. you know the game's good when you finish the demo and you think to yourself: "..thats it? that cant be it! i want more!"

so far im really liking this game, and im really considering going out and getting it. if you guys know whats good for you, i suggest you follow suit. then its Doom 3 multiplayer time  Slipgate - Wink, creeping through dark hallways, hiding in the shadows, and shooting all the lights out...this is sounding fun actually. personally i think multiplayer mode should have some sort of Night Vision Goggles powerup or something along those lines, things could get pretty intense, and then all the lights would be out. you're vulnerable with your flashlight out, but you cant fight in the dark without a general idea as to where your opponent's at. but yeah, most other games' deathmatch mode gets really fast-paced and sometimes out of control. looks like Doom 3 is taking it in a different direction Slipgate - Smile
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2004-09-25, 18:29 »

It's funny to hear all these people talking about the demo when I've owned the game since the week it came out (even though I didn't get my new comp till 2 weeks later and coulcn't play immediately.) I don't see what the big deal is.  It's DOOM! It may not be exactly the way you want to be, but it's still Doom! How bad can it be?  And it's only $40, it's not  a huge risk! As far as the cost of system upgrading, if you're a PC gamer, you're going to have to do it eventually anyway, so why not do it now?

A lot of you probably know how much I like to nitpick and criticize, and I still think Doom 3's a good game and at the very least is worth the $40.

That said, with respect to what Karnage is expecting of multiplayer....while Doom 3 certainly has those elements, at it's core Doom 3 MP is still just Quake with "clip" reloading and destructable lights. It depends on the players a lot, but often times it's just as fast paced as any other DM shooter because if you try to creep around,  you're just not going to get the weapons and powerups as fast as another guy of the same skill who's going full speed. Stealth and using the dark works in certain instances, but in most cases, when you enter a dark room, its better to just run blindly through hoping if anyone shoots at you in the dark you can just swallow the damage and return fire with your rocket launcher. This is made even more so by the fact that most "creepers" on public servers are n00bs with chainguns, and the windup noise gives their position away and allows you to snuff them with a SG or RL blast before their gun even starts to fire.

On the other hand, the dark can play a role in 1 on 1 with 2 skilled players, particularly when one player needs to make an escape or compensate for missing an important weapon or armor. It's just that a lot of servers are allready using the 32-player mod with 6-8 people and element of mystery is more or less gone. Plus, I think wiith a little modding, the intensity could be increased much more.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-25, 18:52 by Gnam » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2004-09-25, 18:40 »

I'm getting by far more bang for my buck out of buying UT2004 when it came out for $30 than I am by buying Doom3 when it came out for $55. That game just isn't fun like the other id FPS games.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2004-09-25, 20:33 »

Quote from: Tekhead
That game just isn't fun like the other id FPS games.
You sure you're playing the right game? I'm running through single player for the thrid time and I'm having a blast. Slipgate - Laugh
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: