2024-03-29, 00:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom2 Map 32 (Anyone wanna try this beta plz)  (Read 8841 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2004-09-27, 02:45 »

A while back some of you were talking about a remake of D2map30, which I think is nearly impossible because of lack of textures, specially the big bull head, and it would probably not flow right either. Then some started to talk about  Grosse and I felt homesick, I used to love that level and deathmatched in it forever, so I fired up radiant and came up with this in about 10 hours. It is from scratch and has NO original textures.

MY impression:  It is extremely big,  It may be fine for the good'ol DOOM days with the ultrafast Doomguy but it ain't fine in Q3, I would like to chop it up like have 3 columns on each side instead of 5, but I wanted the opinion of the gen experts :-)

There is a haste powerup so travelling is easier.

There are NO textures set I could find with Wolfenstein except for the few Tabun made, which I used and as always look great, so I had to put together a couple using free stuff from the net and modify them. I AM NO TEXTURER and YES they do suck, but unless one of you can texture better and send them to me, it stays :-]

I am also testing it in the painkeep community and getting their input, but I really would like to hear some of your suggestions.

EDIT 10/04- No mo' beta, real thing is out in another thread  http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.ph...=ST&f=11&t=2129
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 11:34 by FluSyndrome » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-27, 03:05 »

YES! DO THIS!

But you need to take some creative steps with it, to keep it interesting to play. A large box isn't fun to play.

Mess around with the elevations, and find some way to get some flow into the map.

We really need more wolf-ish maps.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-27, 03:58 »

I thought I start with the basics so I don't scare anyone off :-)

I added a tele at the exit so ppl can easily get back at the middle of the fragging action. Remember to shoot the columns for goodies.

There is a Quad/red armor secret too.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-27, 04:05 »

A big box not fun to play?  Um... how come everyone loves Dead Simple then?  Not every map has to be completely vertical in nature.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-27, 05:55 »

Simple, and great... for a beta. You might want to put the weapons  IN THE BIG ROOM, though, instead of off to the side or in columns. Maybe put some basic weaponry in the corners. And the big room feels a tad too big for me - it'll work on 10-player fully-loaded, but otherwise a smaller room is called for.

Hope to see more of this!  Thumbs up!  :rules:
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-27, 13:20 »

I think what Con means is that it has more than 6 brushes ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-27, 14:21 »

Quote from: Phoenix
A big box not fun to play?  Um... how come everyone loves Dead Simple then?  Not every map has to be completely vertical in nature.
Because Dead Simple is a box within a box with enough cover to get a tactical firefight going.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-27, 16:37 »

I think the layout is fine but I agree about the item placement. Need a few more in the main room.

Looks the business, although I spotted one little texture glitch:

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-27, 22:24 »

WOA!  Good eye dude, gotta fix that. !  

I'm still waiting to see what direction I'm gonna take with this thing :-]  I know that is just humongous,  and I  really lean towards chopping it, that's a start.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-27, 22:47 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
A large box isn't fun to play.

Hey, I still play the fragtown 30 map. Nothing wrong with a large box. Slipgate - Roll Eyes
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-27, 22:56 »

Hehhh.  I don't take any credit for those fragtown maps, they were sent to me loooong ago to painkeep, that was all, but we really enjoyed those on a crowded server :-)

Tabun, I was wondering why the banner from the texture set doesn't move,  I checked the shader in the scripts and it doesn't mention the banner. Do you have any shader for that particular texture (nazi banner) ?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-28, 13:00 »

Nope, but a copy paste job from the Q3 shaders to represent this one would work.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-28, 14:49 »

Quote from: Phoenix
*cough*

The latter is true enough though =]
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-28, 20:31 »

Im sorry for the lack of response from my side but i am very busy for the momment but if i get some time over this weekend i'll take a look at your map and give it a few rounds Slipgate - Smile
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-28, 21:49 »

I'm afraid I have gone wild with this thing, I was mapping all day with seether's disclaimer II CD and that has seriously warped my brain The new beta which I'll be posting sometime tonight or tomorrow is taller, wilder, shorter, has better flow and I might have made it a bit too small, but it sure is fun at least with the bots, which kill my arse once they get the railgun,.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-29, 04:31 »

OK, I  think I have exhausted my creativity and theres not much more I can do with this level without changing it completely, then it wouldn't be grosse :-)

Why did I not add weapons in the main area?  Because if I did then there would be no point going to the rest of the map and then it would be a REAL one box room shootout.

Did I add more weapons and stuff?  Yes, I added an RL inside a column on the other side of the map from the original RL, added a shotgun in plain view by the tree trunks, added a grenade launcher in the quad room.

There are plenty of weapons and ammo once you know where they are.

Why did I put a Quad and a regen so close together?  They APPEAR to be close togeter but the respawn times were made pretty different so that after the initial pick up of these items you will not see them spawn at the same time much.

Why are the bots such a pain in the arse in nightmare mode? ( I beta test my maps with three nightmare bots)- Because it's a big wide  open map and they are very effective with the railgun and the machinegun.

This will probably be the last version of the map and I'll  release it in a couple days.  

EDIT: No mo' beta- real thing is out in another thread http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.ph...=ST&f=11&t=2129
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 11:36 by FluSyndrome » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: