2024-04-29, 14:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's the top gen. player (Please tell me it's Tekhead)  (Read 12113 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2004-09-28, 13:49 »

Was that demo (quakecon from tek's POV) real or you guys were playing an aimbot joke on those players :-)

I have only played a few of you guys and some seem really good, I was wondering if there is a unanimously choice as a "best" player. I know I was impressed with tekhead, and I forgot who kiked me arse ta while back too.  I suck with railguns and am a sitting duck in open maps :-) Since I don't use railguns much, I have my mouse sensitivity set low (2.5 on my logitech mm500), would this be beneficial for railing or is it better with high sensitivity?

Maybe it be interesting to know who's the "best" player by class. like the best doomer or quaker, etc.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-28, 14:13 »

There's not really a single top dog.

Tekhead, Phoenix, and myself are usually the top three.

Tekhead won the tourney at qcon
Pho's far and away the best Doom player
I usually win as Earth.

I'm a bit rusty now, though. I don't get to play very often.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-28, 14:34 »

Come to think of it, YOU were the one who kiked me arse :-)  I remember.  That's good news, I feel relieved now.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-28, 14:48 »

And somehow, Tabun is always forgotten.

I've proved that I can make it amongst the top three often enough, and that is with five times the ping I've practiced for years with. So let's not make this a US only list, now shall we? :]

I'm getting a slight bit annoyed every time someone makes a senseless listing of 'best players'.
Not only have I seen some VERY good players on the Euro server (players that would kick the shit out of anyone I've seen on the US server in the past few years, we're talking guys who are probably among the top 10 dutch Q3-engine players - granted, not regulars), but until a proper LAN-based duel tournament is held, claims of top 3's are rather bold.

My poor starving artist's ego is within bounds, as you all know, but I do know that I'm pretty damned dangerous in Gen, on a good day.
(Anyone who needs 'proof' should look at one or two of my demos in the 99e demos thread, and realize that those are below average performances)

--

And on a side note:

Railing is dependant on sensitivity in two ways: the usual speed vs precision is always the issue. High sensitivity settings mean you can rail someone standing right behind you quickly, whereas low values allow you to be accurate across great distances.
New mice that allow for use of 800 DPI and over will finally let you have it both ways, hence why I'm looking rather forward to what Razer is cooking up.. and hoping it won't be bollocks like the Boomslang was ;]

Then there's acceleration, which, in theory, allows you to combine speed & precision. For some it works (I believe Tekhead is one of those freaks of nature Slipgate - Wink), but I truly hate it and would advise anyone 0 acceleration for best results.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 15:02 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-28, 14:48 »

I'd like to say that I'm the best around here, but I don't know that for sure until there's an OC48 line ran across the ocean so I can play against Tabun with a decent ping =]
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-28, 15:52 »

BUAAHAHAHAH   , Tabun, lighten up dude, I didn't mean to create a "senseless list" or an inflamatory thread,  but  rather  get a feeling as to whom I'm playing in the servers so I don't get discouraged when I'm trashed about.. We have the same exact problem in pkarena, except we have more euroservers and when we US players play in their servers,  we get a good arse kicking :-).

I DID get really impressed with Tek and his railgun, that's not ping or good connection,  I can't dream of railing two people in a row in one shot, much less ten, even in LAN playing. I've only watched a couple demos tho.

On the mouse thingy: I have the latest Razer viper, and it just wont agree with me at all, I went back to my logitech after a week. I used to play with the Boomy before and thought it was the awsomest mouse till  it died a year ago, then I switched to the optical logitech cause I was tired  of cleaning rollerballs.

I'm gonna try to play  gen tonight with some of my pkarena buddies, so please hop in if you see us and show us how is done :-)  or NOT
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-28, 16:48 »

That's a fairly bold statement, Tek. Your tournament win doesn't mean much to me, but I won't go into why. That's a topic for another day.

Quite honestly, I don't think there is a "definite best" player in Generations. At least, not right now. Sure, there are people who always top the scoreboard, but that can still change depending on a few factors. Take a few nights ago, for instance. BigRob and I were doing a 1v1 for a bit, then Phoenix joined in as Slipgate about four minutes later. I was using Earth, as was Rob. Now, normally, Phoenix would have owned both of us despite our four-minute handicap. I ended up winning. I can chalk that up to four things.

1) The four minute handicap.
2) I was spot-on with the rifle for some reason.
3) Rob's ping was double what it usually is.
4) Phoenix was using Slipgate.

That last statement is the big one, I think. While it's true that some people are killer and will never lose with certain classes (if Pho had gone Doom or Strogg, he would have housed Rob and me), there is currently no single person who can always win with EVERY class. Until that happens, there is no "best" player in Generations.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 16:50 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-28, 16:57 »

I'LL TAKE YEZ ALL ON!!!! :rules:

I'd probably lose, mind ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-28, 17:08 »

Heh. It wasn't directed at you Flusyn. I've just seen too many of these lists pass on the boards and the IRC channel, and as much as I dislike tooting my own horn, I dislike others forgetting to toot deserved horns - _every_time_

The class thing goes quite a distance, Mak, fully agreed there. Just take the Arena-only players that have recently flooded the Generations servers - they top the lists, but as soon as one switches to anything but Arena, they're nowhere near the top all of a sudden.
I like to think I'm pretty balanced out, using pretty much all of the classes to their full relative advantages. Ofcourse Earth tops out for me, but that's a balance issue.

One should also keep from looking too closely at exceptions or one-time occurances. Lots of people forget that topping best players usually experiment in fun FFA matches, instead of going for #1. Because some Euro players gave me shit about that, I've started indicating when I _could have_ gone for an easy kill or item pickup, by shooting a warning shot/pointer before changing direction and leaving it for others to take. This not only helps observant demo-watchers or players train their timing and prediction, it also keeps the game from becoming a straight out slaughter (even though, _on occasion_, that can be enjoyable).

Nominations worthy of mention:
- ReBoOt for playing on 56k, and complaining less about lag than yours truly, for instance :]
- Many of the so-called 'newbies' that have never given up and will never walk away from a fight, even in the light of impossible odds!
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 17:10 by Tabun » Logged

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-28, 18:25 »

Quote from: Tabun
And somehow, Tabun is always forgotten.

Aww, come on - I gave you due recognition =]
(I think we posted about the same time though)

Quote from: Tabun
Then there's acceleration, which, in theory, allows you to combine speed & precision. For some it works (I believe Tekhead is one of those freaks of nature Slipgate - Wink), but I truly hate it and would advise anyone 0 acceleration for best results.

Acceleration to me gives the mouse and the crosshairs a more naturalistic feel. When you walk around, you aren't always at a constant speed but rather a variable one with areas of speeding up and slowing down. The same applies to wrist movement, in which a small wrist flick is not the equivilant of a fraction of a larger flick. Mouse accel smoothes out small and large movements to me, and I think they give the crosshairs a much more fluid feel. One important note though is that I do not use in-game mouse accel - not in UT2004 or Quake3 (Gen) - but rather I tweak the acceleration in the Logitech mouse control panel, which gives my crosshairs a universal feeling of movement which is quite conveniant, so I don't have to tweak my mouse as much cross-games =]
Edit: (Oh yeah - I use a Logitech MX310, which has been a terrific budget mouse to me)

Makou, unless what you've got in mind is a personal attack, go ahead and tell us why you don't feel that the Gen Tournament is insignificant. I'm interested to hear your opinion.

One regular player that I've noticed stepping up is BiGRoB85, who started out playing gen as mostly cannon fodder can now suprise me with his accuracy. He's definitely a contender in the pubs these days - no doubt about it. Now, if only he could resist the temptation of chatkilling, he'd probably be at the top of the scoreboard everytime Slipgate - Wink

On an interesting note about Arena players.... ever notice that they're at the top usually while playing vq3 maps such as q3dm6 and q3dm13? That's my observation anyway - I think they just know their own game and how to play it better than most Gen players.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 18:27 by Tekhead » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-28, 18:35 »

Edit: I hate QUOTE tags.

Tekhead said:
Acceleration stuff[/i]

Interesting. I'll have to look into playing with that and see what it does.

Tekhead said:
Makou, unless what you've got in mind is a personal attack, go ahead and tell us why you don't feel that the Gen Tournament is insignificant. I'm interested to hear your opinion.[/i]

Tournaments are a closed audience. Unless every single person who plays Generations was there, I don't think anybody who could have won is really "number one." Of those there, sure. And even if everybody was there, some people have bad days. Repeated wins would be needed, in my mind, to cement a true "number one" player.

Not doubting your skill, dude. You've certainly destroyed me every time we've played. Slipgate - Wink

Tekhead said:
BiGRoB85[/i]

I agree. I'm still wondering how he's so accurate (reletively speaking) with Earth's Gats!
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 18:46 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-28, 18:57 »

I'll take the price for best european railguncatcher for now  Slipgate - Laugh
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-28, 19:17 »

I'm interested in hearing from an earther how da hek you aim the RL, it is as useless to me as a gaunlet unless I get really lucky. It has that really cool double weapon tho, but I run it out of ammo like in two kills, uhmmmmm and then what? ....  :-)
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-28, 19:30 »

Quote from: Tekhead
Now, if only he could resist the temptation of chatkilling, he'd probably be at the top of the scoreboard everytime Slipgate - Wink
Tek, are you ever going to stop picking on me about that?   Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 19:31 by BiGRoB85 » Logged

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-28, 19:35 »

Quote from: FluSyndrome
I'm interested in hearing from an earther how da hek you aim the RL, it is as useless to me as a gaunlet unless I get really lucky. It has that really cool double weapon tho, but I run it out of ammo like in two kills, uhmmmmm and then what? ....  :-)
? Doom - Huh?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-28, 19:40 »

Guys, please don't give our already overly self-critical skinner a complex here.  Tab's up there in terms of ability, so don't leave him out of the picture.

Is there a "best" Generations Arena player?  YES.  Anyone who plays and loves the mod is tops in my book.  <3

I realize the real question here is "who trashes the servers routinely".  Tab, Tek, Con, and myself tend to do this the most often.  Tek is deadly with Slipgate, I'm nearly indestructible with the Doomguy, Con's a sneaky bastard with Earth, and Tab is completely evil with that Q2 railgun.  Those are what I would say our "best classes" are, and possibly who's the best with each class.  We've all topped the scoreboard at various times and those are the classes we tend to do it with the most often.  I've deliberately left out a "best Arena" player because, frankly, there's a lot of regular Q3 players and I wouldn't know where to start.

Look, I'm not out to win any prize money here or a right to say "I can beat anyone else at Gen."  I'm a casual gamer.  I play for fun.  I play maybe once a week, or twice a week at the most.  I'm also trying to put more time into Gen's continued development than actual gaming.  Being heavy into the design process I want to give everyone else a chance to play as well, so it balances out niceley - less game time = more development time.  Besides, it's no fun if the same people win on the servers every single time.  It gets discouraging to the other players.  Sure, I like to win games, we all do, but ask any of the regulars and they'll also tell you that I'll do my best to help a new player along as well.

Oh, and to those other "always win" wonder players we have, you might try playing at a lower handicap setting once in a while.  Besides giving the other players a fighting chance it makes the game MUCH more challenging.
 Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-09-28, 19:48 »

Flu:  The Mortar for Earth isn't too hard to aim once you get a feel for it.  Think of it as a high-velocity impact grenade launcher instead of a rocket launcher.  Arc it like a really fast grenade, because that's what it is.  I recommend using devmap in conjunction with dmflags 112 and running around gen-q2dm1 and some other maps with a lot of elevated hiding spots.  Try lobbing mortar shells up into various places.  You can reach spots a line-of-sight rocket wouldn't dream of going.  Of course, it also means there are straight-line shots you can't do, but hey, every feature has a drawback too.

The dual gatling guns chew ammo up at an insane rate.  One Earth strategy is to use the mortar to soften targets up, then finish them off with the single gat at medium range, or the dualgats at very close range.  Lay off the gats until you've tanked up on a lot of armor and you've run over several ammo boxes.  If you have 150+ bullets and over 100 armor find the biggest fight you can, charge in as close as you can, and spray the whole room with lead.  If you're lucky you'll catch everyone off guard and get a few quick kills.  You can also tear people down one-by-one if you can get in close enough or get behind an unsuspecting player.  Either way, basic rule is medium range = single gat, close range = dualgats IF you have the ammo for it.  Otherwise you'll be down to that knife in no time, and that's not fun.

Oh yes, and don't die with the dualgats out.  You drop a BFG class weapon.
 <3
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 19:49 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #17 on: 2004-09-28, 20:01 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Oh yes, and don't die with the dualgats out.  You drop a BFG class weapon.  <3
Good advice.  I (kind of) learned that the hard way...
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 20:02 by BiGRoB85 » Logged

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-09-28, 20:08 »

I like my graphics smooth, that's a fact, but unless we're talking mouse read speeds, I'll have to pass on smooth mouse options.
This has to do with the way m_filter and accel works: You need begin and end positions to determine smoothed curves and speed at any given time. This means that whatever you do affects the game a fraction of a second later than it could.
And mouse responsiveness happens to be topping my list of things that need to be in order for a smooth game, contrary to pingtime for instance.. I noticed my Q3 Machinegun hits were nearly random over long distances with m_filter at 1. After setting it to 0 (and getting used to that) I managed to get 80-90% accuracy in the same situations.

Rocketing & especially air-rocketing (to me) is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. If you have the timing and angle right, it all comes down to a matter of prediction. Try using only rocketlaunchers in Q3DM17, and play it for a while, you'll probably notice you'll rack up those air-frags sooner than you'd have thought.

Slipgate - Thumbs up!  Thumbs up!

Which brings another thing to mind: There was an air-rocket practice mod around a while back, called mijkair or so. It featured only rocket launchers & unlimited ammo, didn't allow you to kill people on the ground, only high up in the air, and gave bonuses & frags based on the height of the hit. Also, rocket impact launched players up in the air easily.

It seems the aforementioned mod has died.. Now if someone could whip up a nice version of that.. hint-hint.. that'd be sweet :]
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 20:10 by Tabun » Logged

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #19 on: 2004-09-28, 20:13 »

Awsome, can't get to try that out. I'll  play in random class tonight.  I really dislike the Q2 guy, (nothing you guys did, just never liked Q2, wentt from Q1 -->  SoF ----> Blood II ---> Q3  cause I hated Q2) but somehow in the new gen version it seems a LOT more likeable.

EDIT. OOps was referring to Phos' , hadn't noticed Tabun's post
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 20:15 by FluSyndrome » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: