2024-04-28, 21:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Gen Maps? ((lately))  (Read 8695 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2004-09-29, 23:20 »

I know this has probably been done, but not for a while, and there's a lot of new maps. What are your favorite and least favorite Gen maps, both of all time, and out of the new ones?

My old favorites are Iron Yard, Blood Run, and Overwhelming Hostility. H2SO4 and Fistfull of  Steel are also really good., as are Slimy Plade and Frag Pipe. For Q1 maps, I like the Bad Place.

Out of the new maps, I like the new Dark Zone, it feels more accurate to Q1 in terms of scale, but at the same time isn't too cramped. I haven't had a chance to warm up to the other new maps yet, just cause I haven't played them much and don't know them too well. I haven't been too found of Rust in Peace and Trial by Error because, while I'm sure they're great for 1v1, when the server gets packed with 10+ people, they make for some horrid matches.

In terms of least favorites, I'm sorry to say I've really come to dislike Reboot's version of Abandoned Base.  It's just too big, usually it feels like 80% of the game time is spent  wander ing up and down the halls looking for opponents rather than actually fighting. Even when there are lots of people on the server, it doesn't seem to flow properly. Everyone just crams in the pool room.

Pain from Spain seems to have the same problem, though I have yet to play it with more than a handfull of people.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-29, 23:21 by Gnam » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-29, 23:51 »

Yeah... 1v1 maps just don't play well in FFA. I love Outerworld, but I've only played it once so far in tourney mode versus someone else... every other time I see it is with 6 doomers/earthers spamming everything in (and out of) sight.

llq2dm8 is good classy fun though =]
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-30, 01:21 »

A Fistful Of Steel, Iron Yard, Warehouse, Otherworld, and OverWhelming Hostility rock my socks. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-09-30, 01:21 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-30, 01:34 »

Loonies, MKsteel, Two More Deaths, Reboot's Dark Zone and Dunwich. Hostility and Warehouse are good too. Personally I thought Cthon was good for a 1v1 game.

Not fond of Simply Dead, nor any other DS remake at that. Not big on GUNS either, but that's just cos my 3D card sucks (if only there was a way to turn off the skyportal without turning the sky off completely ...). Slipgate - Shifty

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-30, 01:40 »

I'll only name my all-time-favourite map (for 1v1 mostly):

Q2DM3 (and thus:) - REQ2DM3V2

That is, without powerups. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-30, 02:04 »

If someone threw up a poll, would everyone here respond to it? Just asking, because it'd be a good thing if we all did =]

(Favorite/Worst Gen 99e Maps)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-30, 03:41 »

I still stand by Vesperas and Tokay's Towers. Other than that, I enjoy Scrap Metal, Rust in Peace, The Slimy Place, The Edge - hell, any Q2 themed map. I also enjoy Reboot's maps, Gloom Keep and the Dark Zone (sorry, good map, but I personally didn't like the original) excepted. I can't say Dead Simple is my favorite, though it IS hella fun. Swiss Cheese Trickster and The Gantlet are also faves. And let's not forget Eternal Arenas!  <3
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-30, 03:59 »

My favorites so far, in no particular order:

The Gantlet
Simply Dead
Decidia
Frag Pipe
Bad Place v2
The Pits
Deadmeat
Sever the Sphinx

Least favorites:

The Forlorn Hope
Otherworld
Deeper Blue
The Abandoned Base
Dead Souls
Howling Wilderness

Why do I like these so much?

The Gantlet:  It's a GOOD Doom remix map.  It's designed with hectic fragfests in mind, so when they break out it's not a bad thing like it is on an overcrowded tourney map.

Simply Dead:  Same as above.  You can run in any direction and find someone to shoot, there's no shortage of ANY items, and anyone can kill anyone else at any given moment.

Decidia:  It's outdoors, it has trees, and it has birds!  And a nest!  It's also layed out well.  I know it crawls some people's video cards, but I always have fun there.

Frag Pipe:  Q2 nostalgia, and a good remake.  I like playing this map in Gen a lot more than I did when playing Q2.

Bad Place v2:  I didn't like The Bad Place back in .99b, but since I've learned the teleport routes and Gen has evolved more this is a very fun map.  It's another "designed for hectic fragfest" kind of maps, and I don't think any one class has a serious advantage over any other here.

The Pits:  Good remake of a good Q2 map.  There's a few minor layout changes, but it's quite fun and flows just as good as the original, if not better.

Deadmeat:  It's Doomish, it's got red bloodwater everywhere, and it's got a few tricks and traps.  Did I mention red?  It's the only place (besides the lava) my colors actually work as camo!  Nice layout, no shortage of weapons or items, and contrary to what some think you CAN get that Quad.  You just have to know how!

Sever the Sphinx:  Remake of Sever the Wicked from E4 of Ultimate Doom, with an Egyptian twist.  This has been one of my favorite maps and will remain so, regardless of any past (or future) personal disputes with the author.

Now, as to why those are my least favorites?

The Forlorn Hope:  I just don't care for the flow.  Good tourney map, but I'm more of an FFA player.

Otherworld:  Same.  Tends to get rather hectic, not knowing where to shoot so you end up either getting shot from everywhere or having nothing to shoot at all.

Deeper Blue:  Rather devoid of items and reason to roam.  It's a decent layout, but everyone tends to crowd around the Quad spawn/megahealth room

The Abandoned Base:  Too big in scale.  Map just needs to be scaled down to a reasonable size.  It takes forever to get to that Red Armor!

Dead Souls:  No particular nitpick, it's just not my favorite map.

Howling Wilderness:  Fights tend to clump around the grenade launcher room too much, or you get a single item runner, myself included, who just runs around in circles picking up the armor and megahealth and gunning people down inbetween.  A bit big to be so flat.

Aye, I miss Vesperas and Tokay's too.  I'm hoping we can get some better remakes of those in the future (MEGA HINT TO PROSPECTIVE MAPPERS).
 <3
« Last Edit: 2004-09-30, 04:00 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-30, 07:50 »

IRT Dead Souls: Are you sure there's "no reason"? I think there's a very big and FOGGY reason to hate the map.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-30, 08:33 »

Not if you stay out of the hellfog.  I don't fall off the map too often so that's not a factor for me.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-30, 15:35 »

Iron Yard
Dead Souls
MKsteel
Deadmeat

Pho: We finially got permission for EXP12, the Tokay's version we wanted for 99e.

Perhaps bugpatch + new map or two?
« Last Edit: 2004-09-30, 15:35 by ConfusedUs » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-30, 16:20 »

vesperas , q2dm2 and eternal arenas map .
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-30, 18:33 »

I like any map where you don't have too many passages. Fav map of all time is fragtown 7 for Q1. fragtown have been in all the generations except wolf. we need a gen fragtown map. I'd do it, but I'm so stupid.  Thumbs up!
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-30, 18:39 »

A few new maps may not be a bad idea. After all, we've got that Hangar remix  and Grosse reconstruction in Laced Neptune, plus EXP12. Maybe find two others (or three, if Grosse doesn't get ironed out) for an even five additions and run with it?

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-30, 21:41 »

Well, what we could do is combine the fixes for Stormatorium and the portal shader with the new maps and release that as a mappack update, separate from the actual Gen bugfix update.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-30, 21:58 »

Later on tonight, I'll make a nice big post about all the maps (if I can), loaded with opinion =]

Most & Least favorites, along with those I am indifferent to.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-09-30, 22:38 »

Hehe, you can always be sure, when one is dealing with a CRANIUM-TECHNO SAPIENS, that there will be no shortage of opinion :]
« Last Edit: 2004-09-30, 22:39 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2004-09-30, 22:42 »

Well my favorite map is dead simple, place of two more deaths The gantlet amoung others..there's so many maps i like in gen so i find it hard to decide..

And i agree with the abandoned base it was my first quake 3 map i made and it feels kinda "Noob-ish" oversized .. i did start on a "remake of the remake" this time with correct size however  after my last map race i kinda took a "vacation" from all map related things but since i hate to realese poor quality maps im gonna start building on that map again.
If i can't get it right the 2nd time i hope The abandonded base get's DELETED in the next mappack .
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #18 on: 2004-09-30, 22:46 »

I'd rather have a "noob-ish oversized" version of the map than no version of it at all. That's just personal opinion, though.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-09-30, 23:25 »

Quote from: Makou
I'd rather have a "noob-ish oversized" version of the map than no version of it at all. That's just personal opinion, though.
Same here, although I would *really* like to see the re-made version
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: