2024-04-28, 20:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Gen Maps? ((lately))  (Read 8694 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #20 on: 2004-09-30, 23:54 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Same here, although I would *really* like to see the re-made version
Ditto that. I mean... how can you not have what was (in my experience) the most over-played QW Team DM map? Slipgate - Ownage

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2004-10-01, 01:50 »

I'm highly opinionated on about every map, so this post will probably be quite long. Consider this your warning!

Overall Favorite Maps in Generations:

bal3dm4 - Scrap Metal ][

I don't like this map just because I can do cool Slipgate trickjumps in it, but also for the fact that the layout of the level - while somewhat symmetrical - allows for enough variety in gameplay for it to be fun in both FFA and 1v1 gamemodes. It's a fairly open map loaded with opportunities for potential gameplay in all directions.

genstart2 - Eternal Arenas

Amphetamine used his skills to piece together very memorable areas from all 5 Generations into one extremely fluid layout of a map - The gameplay is fast and tactical as ever, in addition to the nostalgia factor being very high. This map is in my opinion the ideal Generations-themed map! Now, if only he went back and used some custom texturing, the level would be that much more outstanding =]

fr3dm1 - Iron Yard

This map has proven itself to be an excellent FFA and TDM map by providing a huge area to roam around in along with item areas that are difficult (but fun) to control. Honestly, the layout of the level reminds me of a blend between Quake3 architechture and Quake2 texturing, but that doesn't subtract from the fun which this map can provide. Very long hallways allow for long-range combat as well.

auh3dm1 - Overwhelming Hostility

This map's areas are much more closed-up than Scrap Metal ]['s, but the action is just as fast! Excellent item placements force players to roam and experience every part of this map if they want to remain in good health. The green texturing is kind of strange for a so-proclaimed Slipgate level, but I can see through it and believe otherwise. Very good map for FFA games.

q1dm4v2 - The Bad Place v2

This map is the ideal classical remake!! The architecture is nearly spot-on (but the various tweaks add to the level) and the texturing w/ lighting is abseloutely brilliant! I find it impossible to critique this level in any way (other than towards myself for still sucking at it after all these years =x).

ztn3dm1 - Blood Run

I never played the original ztn maps, but through this remake of his own work, I can understand why they were so popular. The action is very fluid from room to room, and the map makes for a great FFA or 1v1 map. The Quake3 texturing is a bit of an eyesore, but the solid gameplay more than makes up for that. The strong items are appropriately spaced out from eachother, all requiring a little posistional sacrifice in order to get them. This is a very chalenging map that has stood the test of time.

req2dm3v2 - The Frag Pope Reborn v2

This is ReBoOt's finest map out of all of the ones he has put out so far in my opinion. The structure of the map is nicely remixed into Quake3, and the texture job is quite nice all-around. There are a few areas that could be lighted better (like in the SSG area above the frag pipe), but other than that this level plays out like the classic. Excellent piece of work, this map is.

ll_q2dm8 - The Warehouse

I'd like to personally thank Llurk for getting around to finishing this remake for 99e =] The architecture is very good, and I love that old, rustic retexturing job Llurk used throughout the level! A very fitting theme for Generations imo - it feels like we're going back to the old level after years of warfare and decay has started to settle into the area due because of its abandonment. The lighting is excellent, and the gameplay plays out like the classic - superb.

pukka3tourney4 - Otherworld

This is the only level in Generations which is Strogg-dominant in my opinion. There are jumping tricks all over the place for Strogg - it's only a matter of time before they are all revealed =] The level layout is a sweet blend between the industrial Strogg theme and the gothic/fantasy theme of Slipgate. Although the level was intended to be played using CPM, I find it as an excellent map to play with in Generations... provided that someday people play 1v1 on it rather than FFA.

sainttourney2 - Rust In Peace

How Quake2-ish can you get? This map shows off strong Strogg architecture all over the map, along with top-notch texturing. Once again, this map would be nice to play in 1v1, rather than in FFA.

q3mckinley - McKinley's Vengeance
q3strongholdv2 - Stronghold Opposition
q3wc1 - Bletey's Return

All of these CTF levels are restyled in classical manners and play out as such. I love all three of them for that.

I'll probably edit this post later on to add in my least favorite Generations maps =p
« Last Edit: 2004-10-01, 04:17 by Tekhead » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: