2024-04-28, 00:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Quake IV info (and pictures of course)  (Read 11916 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2004-10-03, 07:37 »

If you didn't see it yet, PC Gamer did a big Quake IV preview in the latest issue. They're really hyping it up. Fortunately you don't have to run out and buy it cause someone scanned it and posted it here:

http://www.jucaushii.ro/imgcateg_845.html

Note that the pages are not in order, from left to right, top to bottom according to the thumbnails,   the page numbers are: 7, 6, 2, 3, 1, 4, 8, 5

The outlook seems positive so far. Raven claims to be very concerned with making a game true to the Quake series and staying true to the spirit of the previous games. Also, unlike Doom 3, Raven is commited to making the multiplayer just as developed as the single player. Essentially the single player will be a sequel to Quake 2, while the multiplayer is a sequel to Quake 3. Also, Raven assures that even though it's in the Doom 3 engine, Q4 will have substantial outdoor environments, and plenty of enemies (as well as allies) fighting on screen at once. They also claim they've spent a lot of time tweaking the weapons work well in both single and multiplayer, while staying true to their predecessors and having some advancements at the same time.

My only complaint from the pictures available is that the marine armor looks a little too pedestrain for a Quake game, and the shotgun design is no where near as cool as the Q2 shotgun. Overall some of the visual style seems more ordinary and not outlandish enough for a Quake game. Hopefully they'll fix some of this before release. Enjoy the pics.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 07:38 by Gnam » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-03, 08:08 »

Maybe it's just me, but that shotgun looks like the GenArena Slipgate Boomstick with a bullet clip added to it.

Regardless of what turns out with this, I won't be first in line to buy the game, but I certainly will get it. Quake is the only PC game series that I've been adament about "catching them all" with.

Of course, the real question everybody will want to have answered is when we'll see a Quake IV class in Generations. Slipgate - Ninja

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-03, 09:21 »

You better check the temperature in Hell first.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-03, 09:25 »

It's fairly cool, if Doom 3 is any indication. Thumbs up!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-03, 11:31 »

This looks a lot like doom 3 to me.  I'll buy it on the first day, but, will I play it , or stick with Q3?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-03, 14:37 »

Looks a lot like D3, indeed... Even the weapon design.  I'm looking forward to that fast-action gameplay stuff they keep going on about ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 14:37 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-03, 16:18 »

Slipgate - Off Topic IT SEEMS THAT EVERY SECOND THREAD I READ ON THIS BOARD THESE DAYS HAS SOMEBODY ASKING IF THEY'LL BE IN GEN!! I'M SICK OF IT!!!

GET THIS INTO YER HEADS!! THE D3 GUY AND THE Q4 GUY AREN'T IN Q3!

SO THE ANSWER IS:

NEVER!!!!!

This concludes my rant. Thank you for your patience.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-03, 17:44 »

... hey, um, scal? See that thing under my name? That one that says "Group: Beta Testers"? Yeah. I'm well aware that D3 and Q4 will never be represented in GenArena. It's called sarcasm.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-10-03, 18:22 »

I am not impressed.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-10-03, 18:27 »

Quote from: Tekhead
I am not impressed.
It looks MUCH brighter than doom3, which impresses me greatly Slipgate - Wink

I never finished Doom3 because I couldn't see JACK SHIT
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2004-10-03, 18:31 »

frankly ever since quake 4 was announced i have never been excited about it. It dosent remind me anything of any previous quake game so far and those weapons designs suck.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-10-03, 19:10 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
I never finished Doom3 because I couldn't see JACK SHIT
The r_gamma and r_lightScale commands are your friends. Thumbs up!
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2004-10-03, 19:14 »

They have the capacity to produce the best deathmatch game of all time.

one with massive levels and lots of players. One with anything they or we want in fact.

But they made Doom 3 instead.  4 players at a go, too dark, too narrow.

I want Quake 3 gameplay and graphics but better. Till that comes I will stick to Gen (and ut and ut2004)

Now most folks have broadband, how about deathmatch with minimum lag? there must be a way to sort this with the engines we have.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2004-10-03, 19:56 »

Doom 3's deathmatch is all about ambush.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2004-10-03, 22:10 »

Doom 3's deathmatch is all about ambush

exactly
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-10-03, 23:13 »

Ambush = camping.  I prefer to hunt down my prey, not sit there waiting for some unsuspecting player to walk into view.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-10-03, 23:16 »

Quote from: Footman
Doom 3's deathmatch is all about ambush.
Its not  'Deathmatch'  then just deathmatch.

not what I want then.

Give me circle straffing and bouncing people around with rockets, I don't ask much.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 23:17 by shambler » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-10-04, 02:59 »

Quote from: Footman
The r_gamma and r_lightScale commands are your friends. Thumbs up!
Doesn't help me much...my monitor is chronically dark as it is.

I can easily brighten doom3 up enough to see, but then it's so washed out it looks like shit. =(
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #18 on: 2004-10-04, 18:11 »

Quote from: Makou
... hey, um, scal? See that thing under my name? That one that says "Group: Beta Testers"? Yeah. I'm well aware that D3 and Q4 will never be represented in GenArena. It's called sarcasm.
That was for everybody's benefit. Slipgate - Smirk

There are parts of D3 where you're not supposed to see anything - that bit whwere you're following the guy with the torch before he gets mangled, for instance. I just fired blindly at that bit and hoped for the best. I didn't like that myself.

Personally I'll wait until there's something a bit more substantial on Q4 before I pass judgement.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-04, 18:18 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Naoscaire

Imp

« Reply #19 on: 2004-10-04, 18:37 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Ambush = camping.  I prefer to hunt down my prey, not sit there waiting for some unsuspecting player to walk into view.
The bird of prey has obviously never actually hunted before. And even watching actual birds of prey hunt, it's about ambush from above. I'd like to hear what some people think the difference between sniping and camping are. Or even if they think there is no difference. I understand this may get moved to another forum section, but I'll start it here.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: