2024-04-19, 17:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 99e Bugpatch: Almost done!  (Read 5341 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-10-05, 20:30 »

The 99e bugpatch is nearly complete, and with it the new map rotation script.

We can now randomize the map order, and even specify settings on a per-map basis.

For example, take our CTF maps. Some of them were obviously designed with a grapple in mind (q3mckinley). Some weren't (that crazy map with the flags directly apart from each other). We can now specify genflags, dmflags, time/frag/caplimits, gravity, bot_minplayers (useful on those huge maps), hook on or off, onhand or offhand, throw speed, pullspeed, and more. On a per-map basis.

This is awesome, to say the least. I'm hoping to set up one of our central servers with a default, randomized maplist, and the other with a customized, randomized maplist.

Here's here you come in.

I'm extrememly pressed for time these days. I simply do not have the time to go through and work up a custom config for each map. Not if you want this patch to ever come out, that is.

Some maps are easy. MKSteel is obviously a Doom map. Stronghold Opposition is obviously a classic q2 CTF map. McKinley is perfect for class-based teams: Slipgate vs Strogg, as the map was in both games. Other maps aren't as easy to classify.

So what I'd like is for everyone to pick out a map or two, for any gametype (FFA, TDM, CTF, Tourney), and propose some settings for it.

I'll have examples in the maplist submission thread. Here's a few quick guidelines to make my life even easier:

• When using GEN or DM flags, dont' just give me a number like 10304. Say "DMFlags 10304: hook enabled, powerups drop, spawn farthest", or whatever the number represents.

• Feel free to enable/disable whatever classes you choose. If a map is particularly prone to be overrun with a particular class, either limit it to that one class or remove that class. Try to keep within themes though. Don't disable Doom on Deadmeat, for example.

• When setting up class-based teams, PLAYTEST IT FIRST. McKinley plays well as Slipgate vs Strogg, but ONLY if grapples are enabled. Slipgate's lack of long-range weaponry makes them sitting ducks in the center area.  Let's not set up a map where the only way to win is by being the red doomers because the other class is screwed by lack of .

• Remember your armor conversions! Having no red armor pickups is much more harmful to Slipgaters and Doomers than to other classes.

No one has to help, but I'll greatly appreciate any and all submissions. Do as many maps as you like, with whatever settings you like.

Helpful Links
GenArena server-side commands - This includes DM/GENFlags

GenArena Maps Gallery - Includes basic info for every map.

Mapping Considerations - For anyone not sure on how the weapons translate, this thread has lots of info to help understand why some classes are stronger on some maps than others.

And finially, please submit your maps here:
99e Maplist Submission Thread
« Last Edit: 2004-10-05, 20:31 by ConfusedUs » Logged
juliocgp

« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-01, 22:26 »

Slipgate - Asleep  Slipgate - Ownage  Slipgate - Off Topic  Slipgate - Grin  Slipgate - Ninja  Slipgate - Shouting  Slipgate - Smile~  Slipgate - Exhausted  Slipgate - Ninja  Slipgate - Ninja  Slipgate - Ninja  Slipgate - Smirk  Slipgate - Smile  Slipgate - Ownage  Slipgate - Off Topic
Sle

« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-24, 08:38 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
France
Poker Ping
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-26, 03:11 »

Bad topic!  Play dead!
*BLAM*
"YIPE!"
Good topic!

Slipgate - Exhausted

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: