2024-04-25, 03:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake-like mutator for UT2004  (Read 20982 times)
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2004-11-03, 10:46 »

Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors in this post that I do not catch...
I will revise it when I am less dead and more awake. Slipgate - Smile

Ok so I tried out beta 3 on DM-1on1-Ilarnek_2k4 with a Skilled bot with skill-adjust enabled.

Ilarnek is a map that has the lightning gun, the rocket launcher, the flak cannon, the bio-rifle, and the shock rifle.  It has four or five health vials and one or two grenade pick-ups.  There are no adrenaline pills on the map that I am aware of.

Initially, I tried out Ilarnek with just the first weapons preset and Armor Mode C.  It played pretty good, but I was running lower on health than usual it seemed.

So then I added Quad Damage just to see how bad it could get, and it was nasty :p  To be honest, I think your weapon tweaks and Double Damage are more than enough to dish out the pain.  Quad Damage just seems like overkill.

Taking that off, I decided to try Preset 1 with Armor Mode C and 100/200 armor.  While the armor pick-ups in Ilarnek are somewhat troublesome to get, the 100 one helped out greatly where as the 200 armor felt like a tad too much armor.  I think that either kicking the 200 armor down a notch would work or perhaps making adrenaline more prevalent to counteract  the armor?  (I was thinking along the lines of the regular health packs giving 5 adrenaline, then again I am a bit biased as Ilarnek only has 4 or 5 health vials.)

I didn't try it out with +35 health packs enabled, but I think the armor does a much better job at fulfilling that need than the +35 health packs would.  I won't really know until I try though of course.

Some other comments...

I love the primary fire on the rocket launcher.  The problem is that I love it a little too much.  Secondary fire is dwarfed by how effective primary fire is at killing the opponent.

Lightning gun seems good as does the flak cannon and the assault rifle.

This is a minor gripe, but is there any way you could allow for the classic UT2003 models to replace the link gun, shock rifle, and assault rifle models?  The link gun and the assault rifles are both the old models for me, but the shock rifle isn't.  I'm not sure if that's because I have the option enabled or if you chose to use those models yourself.

I'll try out your heavy weapons and your new weapons some other time, but there's my report for now Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-11-03, 22:03 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2004-11-03, 20:42 »

Thanks for the suggestions, it really helps to have detailed feedback, and you're one of the only people to do that so far.

First off, it really varies with the maps you play.  You have to kind of pick and choose the mutators based on the maps because the item distriobution from map to map is kind of inconsistent. Indeed, a few maps don't even have any adrenaline pills, so with the "shard C" mutator you don't get any armor shards, so it's better to use A or B.

I completely agree about the super shield pack, 200 armor is way to much. What I have done since that version is kick the small pack down to 75, and the big armor to 150, and it seems to be a pretty good compromise. You can still stack up to 200 though if you grab 2 super shields.

I agree about the Quad, it is pretty overpowered. I still want to leave it as an option, but I will also add an aditional Double Damage mutator. The vanilla UDamage Reward mutator doesn't drop the Udamage if someone suicides, so if some dumbass blows himself up, it ruins the Udamage for everyone else. I fixed it for the Qdamage Reward, but I will add a Udrop mutator so the Udamage always drops even for suicides, just like the Quad. Also, I'm looking into a mutator that makes dropped items stay around indeffinitely, instead of disapearing after a mere 30 seconds.

I agree with the +35 packs, I never use them, in fact I just added it cause 1 guy complained +25 wasn't enough.

That's a good point about the RL primary fire. It's so good, there isn't much use for alt fire. Maybe what I should do is have the alt fire use smaller, weaker rockets that load much faster. That way, it will be more usefull without being overpowered.

The UT2003 models: The option to use the old models is allready an option in vanilla UT2004; you have to enable them in the weapon settings of the menu. Normally, weapons use the new models by default, but I switched my weapons to use the old models by default in order to make it easier to tell my weapons apart from the default ones (expect the shock rifle, cause I think the old model is ugly :p). You can change it back on forth by your own choosing though. The quirk with UT2004's old model support is it only affects your your 1st person models, so even if you have old models checked, the 3rd person models and pickup models stay the same as the UT2004 new models. What I'm doing for the next version is making my weapons use the old 3rd person models. Unfortunately, if you want to use the new models, you will only be able to use the new 1st person models, but it will allow you to tell the weapons apart more easily.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. I look forward to your comments on the other stuff whenever you get around to it.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: