2024-04-16, 14:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolf Arena beta (Do I dare?)  (Read 40465 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #20 on: 2004-10-27, 04:14 »

Some screenies of the work in progress. Lots of detailing but real life keeps gettting in the way, so I haven't been able to work much on it lately :-(

And YES- Screenies are 800x600 hehhh

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2004-10-27, 04:21 »

It looks really good with the detailing from the screenshots you've posted.  The ramp area looks so much better!  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-10-27, 04:25 »

Indeed - I like the minimalistic usage of trim and I do see a few appropriate lighting fixtures. This map looks like it has some serious visual potential.

I wonder what the gameplay is like? Hmm.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2004-10-27, 07:02 »

damn, that's really starting to look good. Slipgate - Wink

Also, if you used a timed doorway for the BFG, make sure that every class can get to it in time. It's not as important for Earth to get there (because he can get dual gats from multiple shotgun pickups), but make sure that the other four can get there without much hassle
« Last Edit: 2004-10-27, 07:03 by ConfusedUs » Logged
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #24 on: 2004-10-27, 11:55 »

The BFG I was talking about is in the wolfjk map which I made reallly as a joke,  but it is quite amusing with real people as it turned out :-) and the secret door  is actually timed so that anybody in the general area can get it EXCEPT the quaded person :-)

The real map is coming along nicely I think, I hope to get a working beta soon.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2004-10-27, 16:50 »

BFG? I'm a bit skeptical =/
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2004-10-27, 20:58 »

Actually, on the WolfJK map I was able to strafe-jump to it with Earth and get in the door just in time, so basically anyone except maybe Slipgate could make it from the Quad, provided they had a clear shot.  Slipgate - Distraught

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #27 on: 2004-10-28, 00:08 »

GRRRRRRRRR  I can't straffe jump, I couldnt get there on time even with DOOM :=(

I don't see much of a problem with a BFG on the real level, it's kinda big and has very few wide open spaces with no cover. Of course what do I know, not only do I suck with the BFG but really haven't played the mod that much to find it's usefulness. I don't think I would personally get my ass wet and waste my time going in the pool to get a BFG. Lemme think about this fer awhile.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-28, 00:29 by FluSyndrome » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2004-10-28, 02:00 »

sounds like what you need is a real playtest Slipgate - Wink
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #29 on: 2004-10-28, 20:14 »

I am very close to a near finished map beta, I have been working on several sections at t he same time and have like 3 rooms half finished only. Soon I'll have a playable testing beta. I have a pkarena friend skinning me a knight too :-)  I knew if I bother people enuff on both forums someone would make me a knight to shut me up.  :-)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #30 on: 2004-10-30, 02:32 »

OK I got a working beta, it is structurally complete minus a few detail brushes that I am working on.  Before you play it, READ THIS-  

- The trees in the BFG lake  are NOT clipped yet.
- I know about the blue/yellow nazi signs, I have to rotate them to make'em look right.
- I shall lower the quad respawn time, I forget if I put it at 3 or 4 minutes but it seems like a looooong time.
- I removed the teleporter from the berserk room and wanna add it somewhere else, any ideas? maybe under the stairs on the red brick room?
- I will fix the area with the electric chair, I will make it a bit bigger, it will NOT affect gameplay at all cause is purely for eye candy, it wuill be clipped off to players.
- The knight by the megahealth is NOT skinned, someone is working on a similar model, I just wanted to get the dimensions.
- The two "electric" knights will be replaced eventually in the final map by the new knights when ready.
- I will add one BFG ammo as suggested earlier.
- Lighting is not finished at all, it is lighted to be able to play it, so don't mind it too much yet.

OK go on and play now :-)

Ahhh one more thing, I think I have a railgun slug ammo somewhere, although there is no railgun, I thought I read that I should do that cause it was ammo for something else for one of the classes, no? Did I err?  Which brings me to the next question, the pkarena version will have a railgun, Is a railgun too much for this level for gen? I left it out cause I know you guys don't like crowded levels :-)  This railgun will be hidden in the blue ramp, on top of the shotgun, in a room behind the flag, that you gotta rocketjump to (the flag will be not clipped, players will be able to go thru)  Hey what can I say, us painkeepers are weird, just wanted to know if you guys think is a good idea for gen.

Here's the beta:
genwolf-beta33.zip
« Last Edit: 2004-10-30, 02:35 by FluSyndrome » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2004-10-30, 02:51 »

The railgun is generally a good thing in Gen, because Strogg is weak without it.

It's only bad in maps with LOTS and LOTS of wide, open spaces with no cover.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #32 on: 2004-10-30, 03:17 »

...such as the map being presented.

However, I feel that the BFG would be a lot worse. I can see the railgun fitting in on this map if it was restricted by making its respawn time 30 or 60 seconds with perhaps one ammo pickup for it, and if it replaced the BFG.

I like the swapout of the Medkit with the RA. I think it fits the area's theme well.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #33 on: 2004-10-30, 03:26 »

BTW the BFG respawn is set at 2 mins.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2004-10-30, 03:54 »

Tek, I think you just don't like BFG's. Slipgate - Sad

Big maps with lots of room to run around like this one benefit from a BFG.  If it were a small tourney map we were talking about then I'd say it would be a bad idea.  Putting a BFG in a high-risk area (like water), combined with the sheer size of the map helps to offset its destructive power.  That 2 minute respawn will certainly cut down on any concerns of spamming or camping the BFG.  Camping in water is suicide anyway.

On the other hand, the BFG gives anyone who picks it up a chance to knock out whoever is item running the map and tanking up on health and armor.  Personally I like seeing the "indestructible" players get fragged by the "other guy" once in a while, myself included.
 Thumbs up!

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #35 on: 2004-10-30, 06:59 »

Well, I find the BFG the most enjoyable in tight (not small) maps where its tactic of fire-and-forget becomes minimally effective... which is another reason of why I didn't like Vesperas.

In other words, I like BFGs in a map where there is a way to avoid and counter them like q2dm8 =p
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #36 on: 2004-10-31, 18:56 »

OK, here is the "finished" beta version, I don't think Ill be doing anything else structurally, I've had it creatively and my wife's had it with me :-)  I think it has come out pretty good, I'm satisfied and am having a great deal of fun, I just can't stop playing as earth and lobbing down rockets into the BFG pool, if there is anything funner than that in generations I have missed it cause it's funny as shit..

The only thing holding this map back is the friggin knights, my pksource backed out of the deal, I may have one more shot at it, if not, I'll just not include knights :-(

Here is is:

genwolf-beta.zip
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #37 on: 2004-10-31, 23:05 »

Why not just have Tab make a skin, like he said earlier?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2004-11-01, 03:31 »

Awesome, I'll check it out.

If the knight just needs skinning I don't know any better pixel prodder than Tabun.  If you need an entire md3 Tab and I can both do models.  Just let us know what you need!

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #39 on: 2004-11-01, 05:06 »

thanks! I would rather have a brand new knight about the height of the one in the corridor with the megahealth, that is one ripped from wolf3d that I found on the net and it was unskinned, I really would rather not use a model from another game. I really need something very very simple to simulate the one in the real game, no fancy texturing or nothing, something like this:

But I know it has to be a royal pain in the arse, cause I just downloaded milkshape and I had NO clue, I imported the RTWC model in it and looked like it would take me two forevers to learn that.  But if you guys are up to it and think the level can benefit from that I would really appreciate it :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: