2024-04-25, 18:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AHA! I knew that didn't sound right...  (Read 7267 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2003-05-15, 18:01 »

Hey Pho, I was nosing around in the Gen Pak files and realized you guys switched the Doom and Strogg shotgun sounds! I always hated the way those 2 guns sound in Gen, and now I know why! They were the wrong sounds! Play Quake 2 and listen. The single shotgun makes a high-pitch crack, followed by a quick a quick, light, "crik-crik". This is what the gen "doomshotgun: sounds like. Now play Doom, fire the shotgun. It makes a long, drawn out boom, followed by a slow "chik-chick". This is what the Gen "stroggshotgun: sounds like. I switched em, and now it sounds so much better. I used to think those 2 sounds suck, but now that they're on the right weapons, I think they're perfect!

So, Gen players, instead of waiting for the fix in 99c, you can just do it yourself in 99b. Go to the Gen directory in your Q3 folder and open Pak0 using Winzip. Scroll down to where the wav files are. Find stroggshotgun.wav and doomshotgun.wav. Extract them to C:\ (make sure 'use folder names' is checked. Go find them in windows, at c:\sound\weapons\boomstick\,, and rename them so their names are reversed (windows won't let  you have 2 of the same name at the same time, so you have to rename one to a dummy name first, then change the other one, then go back and rename the first one). Now go back to winzip and make a new zip file called "snds" (I actually think the name doesn't matter, but that's the name I used and it worked). Now add stroggshotgun and doomshotgun from C:\sound\weapons\boomstick\ amd make sure 'save full path name' is checks. Now go to the start menu, choose run, and then type winfile, find your zip in the Gen directory, and rename it from "snds.zip" to "snds.pk3. Now you're done.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-05-15, 19:42 »

Haven't checked in a bit, but I was always happy with the way the Strogg shotgun sounded :]
Doom's shotty sound - now that I didn't like (and I wouldn't like it for Strogg either tho).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-05-15, 20:59 »

hrm well the folder structure in gen is a bit..messy Slipgate - Wink but that's ok since gen still is in the beta phase, i dunno about the shotty tho.. they sound fine 4 me..but i guess youre right.

Anyway if there's some sound i dont like, it's slippys nailguns they sound to weak.
Also slippys shotguns sound weak, there should be more "Boom" and echo in em.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-05-16, 01:08 »

We do unfortunately have a lot to be desired with some of the weapon sounds.  Doom's rocket and plasma sound great, a lot of the Earth weapons sound just right, but the shotties do need beefing up.  The frames code is going to change how the sounds get handled a bit which is part of the reason we've held off on making new ones for now.  The other reason is... well, does anyone know a good sound engineer? :blink:

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #4 on: 2003-05-16, 01:52 »

I do have some weapon sounds... exactly the same like what the weapons sounded like in their original games, but only a very few sound files... I could donate them if you want. Especially for Wolfenstein 3D, I have all the 4 weapon's sound (PC version)...

But I think it's wrong to do that, right??
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-05-16, 08:13 »

Well you cant use the original sounds, but then again the copyrights on sound effects is a bit weird i dont really know what your allowed to and not, for eg. i think your allowed to use quite many sounds from q1, i've heard the item spawn sound in other games for eg. 007 Goldeneye for N64... Guess the only way to find out is to ask ID software.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #6 on: 2003-05-16, 20:47 »

Actually the Doom shotgun sound (the high pitched one) sounds very close to what the strogg shotgun sounded like in Q2, so it's obvious whoever did the sounds intended the current Doom shotgun sound to actually be the strogg shotgun sound and vice versa. If you've played a lot of Q2, the Doom sound on the strogg shotgun sounds just right.

I know what you mean about some of the sounds though. I really hate the Doom pistol sound. I found the Doom 64 pistol sound on some website and added that to my snds pk3. It sounds great, although it almost sounds too loud. I also got a Pak editor and imported the Quake 1 boomstick, nail, grenade and rocket sounds. However, since you guys didn't make a seperate explosion sound for slipgate, I had to replace the Q3 explosion sound (not that it was that good in the first place, it just sounds kinda wierd with the Q3 weapons. Also, even though you made a slipgate grenade bounce sound effect and put it in the pak0.pk3, it isn't actually implemented in Gen.

The only problem I've found  is the different sound effects have to have their volume tweaked since their volume isn't standardized. I used windows sound recorder to do it, although with some sounds, cranking the volume makes them a little garbled. With the Quake 1 explosion sound in particular it's been hard getting it to the proper volume because Q3 dimishes the volume so much over distance. If a rocket or grenade explodes down the hall, you can't even hear it.

Oh yeah, and if you own the game, then using sounds from it isn't illegal, so if you don't like some of the Gen sound effects, rip as many from the original id games as you want. Just find out the path and filename in the Gen Pak0, then drop it into a snds.pk3 file in the Gen folder.
« Last Edit: 2003-05-16, 20:49 by Gnam » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-05-16, 20:59 »

hehe yea i know i've already done that gnam Slipgate - Wink
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2003-05-17, 06:17 »

Oh yeah, I'm no sound engineer, but I might be able to get you some sound effects. My dad is a Revolutionary War re-enactor, so he has a lot of gun-fanatic friends. One of them has an mp-40. His friends take us out shooting once in a while, so if we go to a shoot, and the mp-40 guy is there I guess I could try to record it. I'm not sure if the recording quality would be decent enough on a camcorder or tape recorder to be usuable, but I could try. I could also get some handgun sounds for the Doom pistol or luger. I don't know anyone with a luger, but I imagine 9mm's all sound pretty similar.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2003-05-23, 01:55 »

Damn! I got a sweet soundpack workin here. I got almost all the sounds from Q1 ripped, a couple from Q2 and I took the Doom super-shotgun sound from SOG, cliped out the reloading sound effect, and spliced it into the Gen super shotgun sound. It sounds awesome! The Doom 64 pistol sound also sounds really good, although I had to clip out some of the excess echo, because otherwise it would flood the sound channels and after 50-100 rounds the chaingun would just fire blank noise!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: