2024-04-28, 05:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative to Invulnerability  (Read 18944 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2004-11-21, 06:33 »

The invul may be good for nostalgia, but it kinda sucks for gameplay. Powerups like the quad are very powerfull, but you still have a chance to beat the other guy if you're on the receiving end; if you make a well placed shot ro two, or cache the guy off gaurd. But the invul has no weakness, there's no way you can win, and everyone has no choice but to run away. It just slows down the game because everytime someone gets the invul, everyone spends the next 30 seconds running away and hiding.

What I propose is a cvar to switch invulnerability with the envronment suit. It may seem like a weak powerup, but Q3's environment suit was pretty good; almost like being invinsible to rockets. I would assume in Gen it would also make you invincible to napalm fire, plus, no more easy splash kills with the mortar. If it still seemed too weak, you could add temporary damage absorbtion, like armor, except it doesn't have a number value that gets diminished. I don't even care if there's new models and effects for it (although it would be nostalgic to see a white labcoat-looking enviro suit for Doom, and new designs for other classes) I just want an alternative to that annoying invul powerup!

Anyone agree?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-21, 08:00 »

Actually, I do agree. No hazard/splash damage & 50% direct damage like the battle suit works better for gameplay imo.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-21, 09:03 »

As much as I would like to disagree, I must grudgingly admit that the invuln, even set at a 4 minute respawn timer, is a "godlike" powerup.  People who are already in the "top killers" list are made indestructible, while people who tend to be cannon fodder MIGHT get a kill or two.  I think some kind of compromise option might be workable down the road.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-21, 09:33 »

maybe you should have them alternate? battle suit first spawn..invuln next?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-11-21, 10:08 »

The invulnerability is PW_BATTLESUIT.  It's the same powerup, we just changed it to 100% protection.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-11-21, 11:39 »

maybe you should give each class atleast 1 weapon that can get past the protection , like in team arena where those proxymines could get trough the shield.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #6 on: 2004-11-22, 09:24 »

Well, the thing about the prox mine was it became the anti-shield weapon partly cause it wasn't good for anything else besides spaming your flag base. It would be hard to choose a weapon like that in Gen cause most weapons are pretty usefull on their own. Heh heh, I guess you could have the invul be vulnerable to fist/blaster/knife/axe, but you would still have no chance unless you had berserk. IMO the battle suit is more practical.

If by chance you guys decide to implement this, it'd be nice if (time allowing) it made it in for the bug patch, just cause I really hate the invul on Deeper Blue, which is on the top of central's map rotation.  Slipgate - Smile~  Just, ya know, maybe if there's nothing left to do, time's left over, and Phoenix gets bored, it'd be cool.  Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-11-22, 09:32 »

Well a pre-Thanksgiving release looks fairly much out of the question at this point.  I still have some stuff to finalize, and I might toss it into the bugpatch.  I think I'm going to skip a full manual update and just toss the changes into a readme file.

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2004-11-24, 06:44 »

Let's not forget that even while players hold the invuln powerup, they are STILL pushed and thrown bu large rocket splashes and heavy shotgun blasts - something people can use during the thirty seconds of the powerup's duration.
« Last Edit: 2004-11-24, 06:46 by Assamite » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-11-24, 13:15 »

or you can do something the oppsite of the ENVI suit . and make you only vulnerable to splash damage and fire .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-11-24, 17:49 »

Quote from: games keeper
or you can do something the oppsite of the ENVI suit . and make you only vulnerable to splash damage and fire .
Right, let's penalize the players who are accurate or who don't have a rocket launcher or flamethrower because they spawned right in front of the guy and reward those who need lessons in aiming.  I think I'd rather try making the invulnerability work like the battle suit - no environmental damage, no splash damage, 50% direct hit damage across the board.  We'll see.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-11-25, 01:18 »

Sounds good to me. Invul was a good powerup in single-player games, but even with nostalgia in mind, it's just not fun to play with/against. The battle-suit setup is alright with me, I've always liked that rocketjump-tool ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #12 on: 2004-11-30, 07:20 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Right, let's penalize the players who are accurate or who don't have a rocket launcher or flamethrower because they spawned right in front of the guy and reward those who need lessons in aiming.  I think I'd rather try making the invulnerability work like the battle suit - no environmental damage, no splash damage, 50% direct hit damage across the board.  We'll see.
Sounds like Communism to me!

Beer? I'm down.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2004-11-30, 17:56 »

communism is a wee bit difirent .
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #14 on: 2004-12-04, 17:59 »

I still don't think this is a good idea... Overpowered as it may be, it only lasts 30 seconds...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2004-12-04, 21:52 »

The key is to replace 'overpowered' with 'powerful', which denotes that it is not the end-all of combat =]
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-12-05, 00:41 »

After giving it a bit more thought, I'm not entirely sure I like this idea anymore.  Here's the dillema.  Right now we have the invulnerability, which respawns every 4 minutes unless the mapper changes the timer.  If we change it to the battle suit, we have to throw it back to the old standard powerup timer, and that's not a good idea.  Most players rely a lot on splash damage from rockets, while the "elite" players are pretty much railgods.  So instead of giving any player 30 seconds of unkillableness every 4 minutes, now we're back to making the top players nearly unkillable every minute or so.  Sure, you can do damage with a direct hit, but at only 50% that 200/200 Tekhead or Phoenix or Tabun is going to require 7 Strogg rails or Earth rifles, or 8 Arena rails to take out of action, whereas he is only going to require 1 or 2 shots to do you in.  If we keep the battle suit on a 4 minute timer then all you're doing is nerfing the invulnerability and making it a bit of a useless item.  I don't mind waiting 4 minutes even for a Quad, but for a battle suit?

I think perhaps a better option is to bump the timer up by a full minute so it's the 5 minute timer like in Q2.  We've tested it at 4 minutes and the increased timer does help.  Maybe we just need to increase it a little more.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2004-12-09, 05:27 »

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I would still rather have a chance of killing you or Tab or Tek when you have invul than non at all, even if it means dealing with the powerup more often. If it's still too powerfull, instead of using a 1 minute timer or a 4 minute timer, you could make it 2-3 minutes as necessary. Plus, it only sounds like such unbeatable odds when you stack it with 200/200 health/armor, and in the FFA games we usually play, there's too many people running around for even the elites to get to everything before someone else does.

Anyway, if worse comes to worst, I would still rather get raped ever minute or so and have a chance of fighting back, than get raped with no chance of fighting back at all every 4 minutes. Maybe it's just me...
« Last Edit: 2004-12-09, 05:28 by Gnam » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-12-09, 10:42 »

I understand, but I have to consider all the players who might potentially benefit from a powerup.  I don't think it's a good idea to nerf an item just because of one or two players who already do exceedingly well.  That penalizes everyone else, but how does it really penalize the already "unkillable" players?

In a big FFA just about anyone can end up grabbing that invuln.  Throw Kajet on the server and I guarantee powerups will be scarce.  He has a knack for showing up at just the right time to deny you an item.
 Slipgate - Smirk
« Last Edit: 2004-12-09, 10:43 by Phoenix » Logged

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #19 on: 2004-12-09, 12:08 »

Gee... thanks for the endorsement Pho...
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: