2024-04-25, 09:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations Gameplay ideas - Take 2 (Got ideas? Post em here!)  (Read 28982 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2003-05-20, 10:38 »

Whoa vader, where'd you get the idea we didn't care. I'm keeping pretty careful track of this thread.

However, your idea is more for resurgence than for GenArena, and we're still in the VERY early stages on resurgence. We can't really go any further on Res till we finish up the current up date on Gen. When we get to that point in Resurgence's development, I'll ressurect this thread. Slipgate - Wink
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2003-05-21, 22:25 »

Hmm, yeah, I like the idea of a frag-tag game, random player at first spawns on say blue team, everyone else on red. If the player who is "it" frags someone, that player scores. Anyone else fragging the lone gunman takes his/her place on the other team and the former "it" person is now one of Many. Slipgate - Tongue
A fun twist on that game mode would be the addition of a powerup that causes a person to be "it". Could use it as a tech, spawns in a random location when the player who had it dies.

Monster stuff needs Resurgence, so it's out for now.

Another fun mode would involve a kind of power-up via score. Start out with the basic weapons, and the more people you kill, the better the guns you get. Ammo could still require pickups for a little more variety, or just plain regenerate. When you die, you don't drop anything, and you have to start over.

There was a mod that did this one, but I can't for the life of me remember.. Everyone starts out fully-loaded, and the more people you kill, the weaker the guns you have, until you have to kill someone with the chainsaw/fist/knife/axe/gauntlet/blaster for the win.
whew.. Fainting

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #22 on: 2003-05-22, 04:40 »

Humiliation mode
-------------------------
Players can only use their melee weapons. You can set it to either:

The player who has humiliated others the most wins, or the player who was humiliated the most wins.

Earth Soldiers, definitely the knife.
Doom Warriors, probably the fist (or chainsaw, or even both?)
Slipgaters, the dealy axe.
Strogg Troopers, that little blaster.
Arena Gladiators, the gauntlet, of course!

Only-a-specific-weapon mode
-----------------------------------------
This one.... if you look at UT 2003's "Arena" in the mutator list, you should know what I mean. But anyway, this means that all the players can only use a specific weapon in the whole arena. All the weapons in a map is replaced by only a specific weapon being selected.

Unlimited power-up mode
------------------------------------
Well, unlimited power-up spawnings in a map.

Disable a specific weapon mode
---------------------------------------------
Only disable a particular weapon in a map. For example, in some maps there are BFG, but if disabled BFG, there will be no BFG in that map. There are of course still other weapons available.

Well, I know these ideas... very, very sucks.   Slipgate - Tongue

But I'm really hoping to see the "Humiliation mode"...
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #23 on: 2003-05-22, 09:37 »

Well of course it would have to be for Resurgence so it will have to wait. As for humiliation mode, what would all the stuff in a map do if you can't use it? Would it all turn into health? I just got another idea too, how about a mode sortof like the old game of "it". One player spawns as some color, maybe yellow with a glowing halo or lighting effect around them while everybody else is a different color. The one that is "it" who starts and stays glowing until they're fragged has to frag as many non IT players as they can before they get fragged. The winner is the player with the most frags while being IT. Does it sound good? I still like the thought of collecting the price on a monster's head. I figure a shambler or tank should be worth quite a bit. Another good thing to ad to one mode or another is random powerups dropped by fragged players, sortof a throwback to the old 8 bit Zelda days. The only trouble is they already drop their weapon and any powerup currently active and since slipgaters always leave a backpack, that could add up to four things on the floor at once.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #24 on: 2003-05-22, 11:18 »

Vadertime: I think you're right. In Humiliation Mode, the other stuffs in the map should be turned into health, or only power ups. No other weapons.
« Last Edit: 2003-05-22, 11:20 by Lunatic Guy » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2003-05-22, 13:54 »

the one weapon mode sounds fun - but that's basically the on-off flags stuff that'll be in the default server settings of Gen, if i'm not mistaken.

There was a Q2 mod called NiQ or NIQ or whatever. It had a config-file defined weapon & map cycle. You could completely configure the players weapons.
Everybody had the same gun, for a specific duration (a timer on-screen showed you how much time there was left for whatever you were holding). When the time was up (either randomly or as defined in the cycle) the next weapon appeared in your hands, and the timer was reset. We had a lot of fun playing that (I remember the q2 blaster doing 400 damage or so) - and it had the Rocket-Arena effect, excepting that everybody was limited to one and the same weapon.
This idea could be stretched to classes AND weapons - thus: for 1 minute, everybody becomes STROGG and has only the bfg10k - then, for 30 seconds, everybody becomes DOOM and gets a beserk fist - etc.

Humiliation only (apart from in the above idea) sounds very very dull to me. I regularly play quake3 on a server that has a gauntlet only map in it's cycle. One[/b[ minute, and it only happens once every two hours or so - yet it's a very boring minute indeed. Ofcourse, melee weapons take skill, but unless there's intresting new powerups it sounds like a waste to make a special mode out of it. Just my 2cts.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-05-22, 20:31 »

1 weapon arena stile is fun in Ut2k3 specially with the nukelauncher.

server says wich weapon is allowed.
only that weapon appears in the arena.
but because of that a shotgun becomes a gatlinggun and if you have 2 you can have a bfg .
I would go as followed.

evereone spawns in with the weapon server chooses. (nothing else not even a fist.
and no weapons in the world , only ammo for the gun you have .
if you get killed you dont leave a weapon behind.

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #27 on: 2003-05-23, 08:16 »

If you're gonna have a random 1 weapon mode, you might want some new ones. Suppose you could get a piece of pipe, chunk of firewood, a pipewrench, or butcher knife. I know they're old fashioned, but it would help add some variety. Maybe even throw in a six shooter. I've got another game mode idea. You could call it sabotage. It would be alot like capture the flag except each team gets a big piece of equipment they need to protect. Maybe a small radar set, a teleporter, a radio transmitter, or a supercomputer. Whatever it is, you have to bust the other guy's to score and keep yours from being smashed up. Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2003-05-23, 10:46 »

LOL - yes, let's model, code and animate some new weapons! :] - pho? don't forget to recode the weapons system to allow for a host of new melee weapons!
I am j/k, ofcourse.. Remember- this is Generations Arena, and not 'Cry Havoc', 'Counterstrike' or 'Painkeep Arena' - those mods were designed to be a general mess - ours is not :]
A simple new game mode sounds fun (especially since it's widely known that less = more, and simple scoring systems and gameplay ideas often work better than complex and extensive ones), but it's got to fit the world of Generations too.. otherwise we might just make an entire new mod called: 'Get you Gamemode' and throw everything in :]

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #29 on: 2003-05-23, 11:06 »

vadertime , I will translate what tabun said .

that was the stupidiest  idea we have ever heard for gen.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2003-05-23, 11:23 »

I think you're hardly in any position to translate anything, games :]
And there's no need to go so hard on poor vadertime- he's had a rough time already. Also, the stupidest idea I've come to read on this forum was typed by mojojojoe.. something about an entire new class: strogg gunner (equipped with 3 types of rocketlauncher, if I'm not mistaken? Slipgate - Smile).. oh well

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #31 on: 2003-05-23, 13:38 »

your right thats evenmore idiotic.

what did ya guys think of bfg only , rocket only , or plasma (and needles and flames ) only
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2003-05-24, 03:59 »

There will be no kitchen knives, numchucks, katanas, pikes, chicken-tipped arrows, or other "oddity" weapons added to Generations.

As for a "one-weapon" gameplay mode, no problems there, I had planned on that at some point.  Weapons spawns would just not spawn anything at all since you'd always spawn with that gun, and weapons would not drop.

Randomly switching the gun on someone would be very difficult code-wise.  Doesn't sound very fun.

Melee-only I would like to see.  It may sound boring Tab, but I had the nasty notion of giving everyone permanent haste and tossing a random berserker spawns into the level similar to CTF techs to spice things up a bit.  In that mode the Strogg blaster's range would be severely shortened back to melee range, and the berserker would also amplify the blaster and the gauntlet to be fair.  Doom would have to be without his trusty chainsaw for that one, if possible.

There are a lot of "simple" gameplay modes like this I have logged for future possibility, so no worries there.  We just have to get a lot of OTHER stuff done first. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2003-05-24, 10:08 »

that reminds me that I had this weird problem on a quake 3 mappack with gen.
it are all maps witch only have 1 weapon over the entire map (bfg , rocketlauncher or whatever)
and you spawn with that gun fully loaded .
now in gen this works for gladiator only= 200 shots. the rest will spawn like a bfg for stroggg with 50 plasma and for doom 40 .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2003-05-25, 10:27 »

Games, first please post bug reports on the appropriate forum if you think it's a bug.

Second, if I'm reading you right, which is very hard to tell in this particular post the way you handle English, changing DMflags to fully loaded requires that you die before you spawn with all your weapons fully stocked on ammo.  If you're running around with only a few weapons and normal ammo quantities after changing the DMflags this is probably why.  After you change DMflags to fully loaded try doing a /kill, respawning, and then check your weapon inventory and it should be just fine.  Same goes for changing it back again.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #35 on: 2003-05-25, 20:04 »

pho.
the map only gives you 1 weapon.
(its a 1 weapon map.
bfg map , rocketmap.
and you spawn already with the rocketlauncher in your hands.

another question.
why does evereyone uses my name in there signature.
am I that popular Slipgate - Smile
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #36 on: 2003-05-25, 21:48 »

Quote from: games keeper
why does evereyone uses my name in there signature.
am I that unpopular Slipgate - Smile
Slipgate - Tongue
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2003-05-26, 05:01 »

Games, "Fully Loaded" means you get ALL weapons and ammo when you respawn, regardless of what's on the map. Slipgate - Wink

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #38 on: 2003-05-26, 06:28 »

THANK YOU Tabun. Good call. I realize garbage weapons belong in some other mod. Maybe you can rig it so we can pick up gibs and throw them at games keeper. As for u gameboy, YOU FAILED ENGLISH PUNK!!!!!!! I got a better game mode idea anyway, I wasn't really serious about new weapons. The new mode I thought of recently would be akin to id's own Team Arena. You could call it "Canibals" or Barbecue because to score you'd have to collect gibs or whole bodies just like you collect glowing skulls in team arena. The mode could be Free for All or Team Deathmatch, I'm not sure which would be better. Anyway, the arena masters need meat for their cookout so players would bring gibs and bodies back to a large cookout grill that would appear in the middle of the map, just like the skull hopper in team arena. And like in team arena, a certain amount would make a full load. In team arena it was about three skulls, in this it should be one whole corpse or about nine gibs. Does this sound more retarded than Strogg Gunner? One thing about weapons I am serious about is the plasma rifle for doom. I hope you don't make it over as poor as the original because in doom and doom2 plasma balls and rockets couldn't fit through a whole as small as their sprites appeared to be. I've blown myself to pieces plenty with rockets that hit a corner I wasn't even close too. Aren't you so happy Generations is rendered and not sprite based?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #39 on: 2003-05-26, 08:26 »

A note: this is a gameplay IDEA thread that means if you got an gameplay idea you post it here even if it's strange or not by all means post! Also this is NOT a beta thread, nor is it a problem solving thread(*hint Games Keeper!) ,not a rant thread please stay on topic! Or else this topic will be way to messy .
If you want to discuss the Gameplay ideas start another thread for that purpose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: