2024-04-27, 05:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: From the polls of Montezuma... (What is your favorite Quake?)  (Read 16621 times)
lord_malchia

« Reply #20 on: 2005-01-19, 01:04 »

I could really care less about music, since I always turn it off in video games, however I can't help but express my love for Trent Reznor. I guess you guys have different tastes though, with your bland 80's metal *shrugs*
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #21 on: 2005-01-19, 01:17 »

Quote from: lord_malchia
I could really care less about music, since I always turn it off in video games, however I can't help but express my love for Trent Reznor. I guess you guys have different tastes though, with your bland 80's metal *shrugs*
My metal is '60s and '70s.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-01-19, 01:33 »

Doom & Doom II's model is nothing short of fenomenal. And no matter how much people are going to bitch at Trent's Quake soundtrack, it gave the game a creepy atmosphere and it matched the game quite nicely.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #23 on: 2005-01-19, 01:36 »

By "model", do you mean its music style?
lord_malchia

« Reply #24 on: 2005-01-19, 02:23 »

Quote from: Woolie Wool
My metal is '60s and '70s.
I was joking about the time period... Kind of a friendly jab, you know? Slipgate - Wink

Though really, I don't think you could classify the music of the 60s and 70s as "metal" per say. Still, I would agree that it's the best... Even if I do also like Reznor, hehe.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2005-01-19, 05:46 »

Aye, Quake's soundtrack does match the game, but I never really found it to be too creepy.

I think what appealed most to me about Doom and Doom II is that there was a lot of variety, and not all of it made sense.  Who cared if a "military base" was a bunch of stairs with slime pits?  Sometimes you'd be in a tech-ish looking facility, open a door, and the walls are completely RED.  You'd go from a fairly normal area to skin hanging on the walls and pentagrams in the floor, leaking pipes running blood into pools, what have you.  That "lack of logic" made more sense in what you would expect for a demonic invasion where the demons start bringing their own "reality" with them.  That reality did not NEED to make sense!  Then the weapons... everything from an asskicking shotgun to a high-explosive rocket launcher, then the energy weapons which were EXTREMELY destructive, and... a chainsaw?  I think some people bought the game just because of that reason alone!  Who didn't drool the first time they fired off the plasma rifle, or gasped as they cleared an entire room with one shot from the BFG9000?  The monsters ranged from possessed zombies to full-fledged demons that were actually TOUGH.  Anyone remember the first time they emptied 20 shotgun rounds into a Baron of Hell in the original Doom before dropping one?

Doom 3, from everything I've heard and what little I've seen in the demo, probably was Id "trying too hard" as Woolie suggests.  I think they wanted to try to mix Quake's atmosphere with Doom, and came out the worse for it.  I still hate the pattern on that damned shotgun!
« Last Edit: 2005-01-19, 05:48 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #26 on: 2005-01-19, 20:42 »

I liked the Doom 3 shotgun. Worked wonders against zombies and imps.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2005-01-20, 01:46 »

Have you seen how wide that thing patterns?  A real shotgun doesn't spray lead anywhere near that wide, even with a cylinder bore.  I wish they would have kept the old single-shotty/double-shotty system instead of trying to pack both into one gun.  It's just a waste of ammo unless you're point blank.

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #28 on: 2005-01-20, 20:45 »

Most fights in Doom 3 are point-blank.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #29 on: 2005-01-20, 20:47 »

That's not the point. The point is that the Doom 3 shotgun is 100% unrealistic. Pho is entirely correct when he says that no real shotgun patterns that way.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #30 on: 2005-01-22, 10:16 »

Quote from: lord_malchia
I was joking about the time period... Kind of a friendly jab, you know? Slipgate - Wink

Though really, I don't think you could classify the music of the 60s and 70s as "metal" per say. Still, I would agree that it's the best... Even if I do also like Reznor, hehe.
Led Zepplin started in the late 60's.

Quake I owned. I suppose you have to be a Lovecraft fan in order to understand its full potential, right Malchia?

Beer? I'm down.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #31 on: 2005-01-23, 18:05 »

Oh yes Lovecraft Thumbs up! He inspired many of my Ravenloft adventures for AD+D(slightly off topic) but does anybody know how too lock the mouse look on Q1?Having to push a button to look around is annoying.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #32 on: 2005-01-23, 21:08 »

bring down consol and type    +mlook      seems to work.  I'll bet there is a way to make it perminant, but I don't know it. this needs typing in each time Q1 is started.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2005-01-23, 22:23 »

You can make it permanent.  Go into QuakeID1, edit autoexec.cfg, put +mlook in the file.  That should do it.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #34 on: 2005-01-23, 22:46 »

Thanks Pho and Shambler for your help.Works great Thumbs up!

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #35 on: 2005-01-24, 00:49 »

Just a note:

Which engine are you using for Quake 1?

Winquake is ok, but if you download Telejano, or Tenebrae (I prefer and use Telejano) it improves the graphics and such no end. You also get mouse look  and fog, and decent Water effects plus other things I'm too tired to remember. Give it a go.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #36 on: 2005-01-24, 01:00 »

To tell you the truth i'm not sure...I've had this program for a very long time and just recently broke it out again.I use GLquake to launch it if that's what your asking.Guess it has as many launchers as Doom.Oh well I prefer Q2 but Q1 is good for a quick romp.

lord_malchia

« Reply #37 on: 2005-01-24, 01:32 »

Quote from: death_stalker
He inspired many of my Ravenloft adventures for AD+D
 Slipgate - Off Topic He has inspired so many great things, but rarely is anything actually based upon his mythologies. Quake and Eternal Darkness, for example, merely use brief references. The Call of Cthulhu video game should be out soon, based upon the wonderful pen&paper RPG (at least the older version I have is wonderful, I haven't tried the new rule set yet).

Really though, as cool as it would be to see a story actually set in Lovecraft?s multiverse, I think it might be counteractive in some ways, since Lovecraft?s ideology of fear is all concerning fear of the unknown. So in essence, merely basing one?s works off of his gives hints away as to what the large construct of the universe might be, while still retaining unknown and misunderstood elements.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."  --H.P. Lovecraft Slipgate - Wink
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #38 on: 2005-01-24, 02:12 »

I wish I could base them on his universe but I haven't.I'm a big fan of any horror writer.I use his style to scare the hell out of my players.Mostly the unknown...as you stated.Hard to explain but I think you get the picture.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2005-01-24, 04:56 »

I use Q2K4.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: