2024-03-28, 18:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rear wheel drive .  (Read 4545 times)
games keeper

Elite

« on: 2005-01-23, 16:55 »

its slippery outside , an FWD and an RWD car are driving outside , they come to a turn and start slipping , where will they end up . ( note the weight of the car is balanced 50/50 .

explain your answer pls .
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-23, 18:06 »

This is easily the worst poll ever on these boards ..
I go for E: I couldn't care less. ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-23, 21:23 »

ya would be if you start to slide in the snow against 90km/h

forgot to give my reason .

reason :

with FWD your car will go to the outside with the reason that you may steer , but that doesnt mean you will get grip and the car still wants to move ( kinetic energy ) and in the direction it was already moving ( forward ) making you slide to the outside .

with RWD your actually pushing your car forward . and due he power laying on the back wheels they try to get by your front wheels  , and since your already put your car a wee bit in the right way to go , lets say left , the rear wheels will try to by your right side . making you turn that wee bit more you will also have th kinetic enrgy effect of the car wanna go straight forward , but if you would pull vectors from your car to where the power is going , the 1 on the rear wheels would be bigger . due to your drivewheels slow down slower then your other wheels . that would also explain why your rearwheels try to catch up with your front wheels.

if you dont get anything from what I said then tell me .

but I also agree with pho that centrifugal forces also will have something to do with it making your car go to the outside of the curve

« Last Edit: 2005-01-23, 22:59 by games keeper » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-23, 22:15 »

Outside of the turn due to centrifugal force.  FWD being better than RWD is a myth anyways.  Ice will screw you over no matter what you're driving.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-24, 17:39 »

FWD does offer better traction in inclement weather, but it has terrible understeer on dry roads.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-25, 02:50 »

NEITHER car is safe when you lose traction, but RWD tends to spin the vehicle more than FWD.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-25, 06:57 »

RWD will yaw more if you lose traction on one wheel and not the other, especially when in a mild turn or straightaway.  FWD will yaw less, but is more likely to spin the back end going around a turn from inertia if traction is lost.  RWD cars have a better distribution of weight, but if overdriven on a turn the back wheels can lose traction completely and (you guessed it) spin the back end going around a turn.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.   I've seen vehicles of all sorts spin out, spin their wheels, get stuck, etc.  I know people who can drive RWD vehicles just fine under the worst conditions imaginable when FWD cars are spinning out and piling up.  The best thing you can do with either vehicle in icy conditions is slow down, or avoid driving at all.  You can't fight physics.   FWD or even 4WD is NOT carte blanche to overdrive the conditions.  Best to play it safe - slow down.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-25, 07:00 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: