2024-03-28, 14:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTK Radiant (Help!!)  (Read 8417 times)
Arnie

Shambler

« on: 2005-01-27, 19:47 »

Hi All,

Can someone help me with a couple of problems I`m having with Texture application in GTK Radiant??.

1: Say I make a box with a crate texture, how do I apply a different texture to the top of the crate??

2: I`ve made 2 tunnels at 90 degrees to each other and filled each tunnel with a water texture, where the tunnel changes direction you can see the water texture. How do I make the joins seamless. ??

Thanks in advance for any help

P.S Does the paste to camera function actually work??

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-27, 21:48 »

Reading the radiant manual (and specifically the bit about 'a simple room') is a good way to start out, it describes the way to apply textures and so forth.

More specifically:

1. hold CTRL and SHIFT, and click the top of the crate - then select the texture. Applying textures only to the visible surfaces of brushes reduces the amount of drawing the engine has to do, so try to make use of that often, and keep the 'outside of the map' Caulked.

2. AFAIK, it should fit seamless automatically, but if it doesn't, make sure your grid is the right size, and try to make the brushes connect again. If that doesn't work, a more experienced mapper is sure to post in here and tell you how :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-27, 22:20 »

First do what tabun said! Slipgate - Smile

But you don't have to care about the grid at all when aligning textures.
If you need to align a texture on a brush just simply select the face on the brush which you are going to align then press the S key this will bring up the Surface Inspector there you can do alot of stuff, shrinking or increasing the texture, rotate it and in your case align the texture!

You have two options called Horizontal shift and Vertical shift manupulating those numbers will "move" the texture over the face. If you use a newer version of GTK radiant the surface inspector is all diffrent but i think you can find out what is what Slipgate - Smile

Also if you want to align a texture on a curve brush hit SHIFT+S instead this will bring up the Patch Inspector instead, tho aligning curve brushes can be a bitch!
« Last Edit: 2005-01-27, 22:20 by ReBoOt » Logged
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-27, 22:30 »

Thumbs up!  Thanks Tabun that`s helped a lot.

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-27, 22:36 »

Thumbs up! Thanks for your help reboot. I`ll have a play with the surface Inspector see if that helps.

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-27, 23:03 »

Slipgate - Laugh I`ve stumbled on an idea. I used ctrl+shift to apply a trigger texture to the joining faces of the water texture and it worked, seamless. Is this how it`s done?? anyone Know??

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-28, 00:11 »

Ohhh now i know what you are trying to do, you only want ONE face of the brush to be visible..
Well you really shouldnt use the trigger texture for making water  instead use NODRAW when you don't want certain sides of a brush to be shown.

And when you are working with liquids you should create a special nodraw for them
an eg.

Code:
textures/common/nodraw_water
{
surfaceparm nodraw
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm water
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nomarks

}

Now  why do you have to use this? cuz sometimes when using NODRAW on brushes they can lose their properties eg. you fall thru your water brush.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-28, 00:12 by ReBoOt » Logged
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-28, 18:45 »

Doom - Huh? I`m not trying to make water out of the trigger texture I`m trying to make the parts of the water brush that touch, invisible - seamless??, because when I join two  water brushes together you can see the join. Imagine swimming thru a tunnel, when you get to the part that joins you see the water texture when you should see nothing.
 I`ve tried the smallest grid setting but can`t see any probs and I`ve tried messing with the surface properties but nothing works.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-02, 12:03 by Arnie » Logged

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-28, 21:24 »

Slipgate - Distraught  Ok Trigger texture causes some problems. Took reboots advice, good advice too, everything seems ok. Is there a way to alter the shader file to make the nodraw_water texture  transparent ? ,so i can see what i`m doing.
God my head hurts!!

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-28, 23:43 »

Ok i rewrote the shader and it should now be a bit transparent just change your path in the qer_editorimage to the texture you want to use.

Code:
textures/common/nodraw_water
{
qer_editorimage textures/your_folder/your_texture.tga //enter the path to the texture you want to use.
qer_trans 0.50 // This defines how much the texture will be transparent in radiant
surfaceparm nodraw
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm water
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nomarks
}
« Last Edit: 2005-01-28, 23:44 by ReBoOt » Logged
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-29, 00:52 »

Slipgate - Wink Thanks once again Reboot it works a treat. I`ve attached the Texture I used if anyone wants to use it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: