2024-03-19, 02:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: .99f Feedback Thread  (Read 132399 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-02-06, 08:26 »

So you've downloaded and played .99f, and you've also read the manual we hope.  Now you're ready to tell us what you think.  If you have a bug, please report that on the bug reports forum.  If you have an opinion you'd like to share, do so here.  Love it?  Hate it?  We want to know why.  We do respond to feedback, in the form of explanation and description, so if you're wondering "why did you do X" we'll answer your questions.  We do listen to all suggestions, though some will get treated like a skeet target.  Some suggestions might actually make it into the game.  Your feedback helps us improve things, and is a general indicator of whether or not we're doing a good job.  So squawk up!  We want to hear what you think!
« Last Edit: 2007-07-09, 17:05 by Tabun » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-06, 16:33 »

I haven't played it yet, but I noticed the speed on mortars was reduced a lot, in addition to a reduction of blast radius. I don't remember the mortar being particularly overpowered given it's falling arc and slow speed; was it in need of such a drastic change?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-06, 18:50 »

Slow speed? I think you might need to find a backup of .99e or something, because it was (and still is) the fastest rocket-type projectile in the game.

The projectile's speed, damage, and the weapon's refire rate were all reduced because it was nearly impossible to combat in most situations. Regardless of what anybody says, you can dodge a Slipgate or Doom rocket at the right range if you know what you're doing. You simply could not dodge Earth's mortar shell's, and more often than not, barely missing was just as good as a direct hit, since they could be launched and hit so quickly.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-06, 19:51 »

Aye, at medium range the mortar was basically instant-hit, and at long range it was almost as bad.  It's still faster than even a Q1 rocket, but at long range it takes some skill to nail someone.  Medium to close range it's not really much different than the other rocket launchers now, except it's still got quite a concussive radius and you can still land those bombs in hard to reach places.  We only slowed it down a bit, we didn't change the flight arc.

Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-07, 11:18 »

Not a whole lot of feedback to give, but I would like to give kudos to the team for the excellent work they did!

*eagerly anticipates the next version, with axe, knife, and dualgat animations*
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-10, 13:08 »

I like new earth armor shards, they work as shards not as "yellow" armor in 5 pieces.
 And i was wondering what do you thing about makeing ranger arena red and blue skins selectable  like sarge/arena  ?

Gat's with no laser lights looks strange  Slipgate - Distraught
« Last Edit: 2005-02-10, 14:07 by Kingu » Logged
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-13, 16:25 »

... humm... this is not 'directly' related to 99f feedback, but rather one or two suggestions: the Earth class could use more weapon models similar to Wolfenstein? If they're supposed to be re-modeled anyway, the MP-40 and the Gats are the main things i had in mind - just like RtCW both (almost).

Also, the weapon selection icons, when you mouse-cycle... i know these are mostly done in a identifiable manner, but making them further specific (like the class-HUDs Slipgate - Laugh ) would be an improvement. Specifically, i was thinking:

- Gladiators: the base Q3A class doesn't need any change obviously.
 - Slipgaters:  could the icons be turned into something not unicolor, but rather, brown with little yellows - in essence, like in Q1 HUD, but adapted to easy eye recognition and to a square icon (of course).
 - Strogg Troopers: these are the easiest to envision whats wanted. Remember those icons at bottom screen when you cycled items (if i remember correctly)? Those were even a square already! Just need to make new, high resolution versions of those for this class!
 - Earth Soldiers: for this class, i though in using (again, fitting a square icon, like you have already in place for all classes) the weapon models 2D unicolor-shade as icons for selection, much like Soldier Of Fortune II, problably using dark brown with white outline. The RtCW ones let you "see the weapon" drawing, but SoF II ones are just the "shadow" of it, wich i think would fit.
 - DooM Warriors: for last DooMers... for these guys i don't have a clear vision of what exactly would be appropriate/fitting, but i guess you could go with the trend of using the old game's HUD as base inspiration. Since DooM(s) don't portray the weapons but rather the slot number on the HUD, i was thinking maybe using a mix of the 2D pickups in-game with a color pallete of greys, reds, some whites where necessary.

... i don't have good drawing skills to really show what i have in mind, but i assume what i just writed is a good start...  :rules: ...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-15, 00:11 »

Quote from: Nahand
.the Earth class could use more weapon models similar to Wolfenstein? If they're supposed to be re-modeled anyway, the MP-40 and the Gats are the main things i had in mind - just like RtCW both (almost).
Who said anything about the Earth weapons getting remodeled?  And seriously, wtf is wrong with the models we have?  Last I checked our MP-40 looks a hell of a lot better than the RTCW one.  Ever see a real MP-40?  That's what ours looks like.  As for the Gat, it's not a Venom gun.  This is not RTCW, nor is it based on RTCW, it's based on Wolfenstein 3D (including the Mac version weapons) with a bit of artistic license on our part.  If you really want to play with RTCW weapons that bad, play RTCW.

Also, the weapon selection icons, when you mouse-cycle... i know these are mostly done in a identifiable manner, but making them further specific (like the class-HUDs *snip*
You did read the part where it says "beta" on Gen's version number right?  The mod is far from complete, and piddly nitpicky stuff like this tends to take a backseat to more important things, like making sure the guns you're trying to select actually work.  We'll get around to the menus and HUDS and icons at some point in the future.  Right now at least we have some kind of icon so you don't have to play complete guesswork as to what you're using.[/color]

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-15, 00:18 »

I'd like to add to that; our HUDs as they're included in the mod are basically placeholders. Eventually we'll get HUDs that resemble the original game displays more closely.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-18, 21:29 »

... hey Phoenix, i didn't write that to offend anyone... and about the HUDs, i really like them like they are now Slipgate - Smile (always use big HUDs BTW Slipgate - Wink ) ...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-03-13, 14:06 »

Anyone remenber the problem we had where when using the supernailgun, it would swop to the normal nailgun to fire the final nail, before going to next weapon? Sorry, but I think we have this again guys. Slipgate - Ownage
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-03-13, 15:29 »

Yes, I know.  I know what caused it, and it's been fixed already.  Id used server snapshot info for out of ammo checks instead of using predicted ammo amounts.  That's fine until you introduce lag, and unfortunately nobody caught this before .99f was released.  Normal Q3 doesn't have this problem because all of Arena's weapons use one ammo type.

dzjepp

Lost Soul

« Reply #12 on: 2005-03-15, 09:24 »

Hey,

How come s_ambient 0/cg_nochatbeep 1 dosen't work?

Also does r_swapinterval work with GenArena?

Thx. Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-03-15, 10:25 »

r_swapinterval works, that's vsync.  I've not modified code associated with the other variables, so I'm not sure.  I'll have to try them out.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2005-04-10, 09:11 »

I think I spotted a problem again in the team deathmatch section of the Euro game yesterday.

We had about 4 players on each team, can't remember who, but Alucard and I were both on red, but he appeared to me as blue.  Anybody else see any colour changes?  

Apart from that I really enjoyed the game. I played until I got Dizzy!
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #15 on: 2005-04-10, 11:55 »

Uh oh, turncoat bug back? Slipgate - Sad

I did not notice this yesterday, any screenshots?
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #16 on: 2005-04-10, 15:16 »

yeah i noticed it as well, i was on Tab's Team yet he kept trying to chop me up with the chainsaw
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2005-04-11, 00:20 »

LOL. Bane, that wasn't due to the turncloack bug mate :]
I knew you were on my team but I also knew we were going to load a new map within a few seconds, so I was keeping you from going anywhere by sawing you :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-04-11, 03:57 »

No, it wasn't turncloak bug.  Friendly Fire was on for a portion of the game.  I got nailed by my own team several times until it was turned off.  *grumbles*

Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #19 on: 2005-04-11, 13:11 »

... on a unrelated note, i think FF should be always ON on team games (especially delicious CTF). It encourages players to take a second to think if they should shoot that rocket or not - wich might hit a teammate, and thus losing some edge in an hypotethical battle (for the flag?); it should discourage the projectile spam as well. Of course, hitting a teammate *is* a reality, but c'mon... and about teamkillers... i believe GEN servers have enough of Code Of Conduct to look for that... or admn warnings Slipgate - Wink ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: