2024-03-28, 12:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: .99f Feedback Thread  (Read 132882 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #60 on: 2005-04-25, 03:32 »

The Thunderbolt model will not be replaced.  A reskinning I would not mind just to make it consistent with the style on the other weapons, but there's not a thing wrong with the model itself.  If you check the geometry and compare it to the original you'd find they are very similar, except where I've added geometric detail, opened up the center to show the electricity, made it two-pronged on the auxiliary poles instead of single-pronged, and lengthened it slightly to accomodate Ranger's arm positions for holding the gun during play.

As for the other guns... .99f does not have some of the newer Slipgate weapons, like the Axe and the two shotguns.  We're also in the process of writing the animation code and animating the models, and repositioning them so they look as close to Q1 as possible.  This is just part of the fact that we're not done with the mod yet.  As for it taking so long to animate stuff, that's a very long and detailed response.  Let's just say writing animation code from scratch and animating multi-part models is not as easy or simple as it may seem.  I've also had to spend a lot of time fixing bugs and making what's already written work right so that people don't get a beta full of bugs, crashes, and otherwise bad gameplay.  Take a look at our change log sometime in the manual, and you'll see what I mean. Slipgate - Wink

Slipgate, right now, is also suffering from bad movement physics.  This is something I need to rewrite because he's a bit sluggish when he jumps.  His air control is good, but it otherwise he feels a bit "off" in that respect.  I can't really comment on someone's opinion of which class should be "the best" other than everyone has their favorite, as well as their "best class".  I've seen people do things with the Slipgate class I couldn't dream of doing.  On the other hand, I have a reputation of being nearly indestructible with the Doom class, whereas some other people who use the Doomer end up being cannon fodder or railbait.  It also changes when you're used to Quakeworld where it's just Quakeguy vs Quakeguy.  Throw in a railgun, plasma rifle, mortar, flamethrower, gatling guns, etc, and it all changes really quick.  The usual tactics no longer work, and you have to adapt to the playing style of your opponents and their respective classes.  That's part of what makes Gen so unique.  You also have to watch who you're playing against.  Some of us are veterans and very tough players, others are fairly green.  Tab is wicked with the Q2 grunt, I'm deadly with the Doomer, BigRob is evil with the Earth Soldier, and Makou is overall a pretty dangerous player.  If you're on the Central server and you see any of us expect a pretty tough fight.  If more than one of us are there, well, expect a very tough fight.  Slipgate - Smile

Just remember that Gen right now is still a beta, and we're still working on it.  We have a lot left to do, but we're a long way from where we started.  If you're not satisfied with how Gen's current beta looks, then hold off playing until we're done with 1.0 and everything (minus a few bugs I'm sure) is as perfect and spot-on as it possibly can be.  You'll miss out on a lot of fun games that way though!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #61 on: 2005-04-25, 11:02 »

Being a q1 veteran.. I see absolutely no problems at all with the weapon models of the Slipgate class. As was stated a few times before, the shotguns are being replaced... hence why I no longer have a problem.

The shaft is amazing... I love the model. Top notch. The skin I see no problem with, so I think it's fine the way it is.

As it is.. there might just be weapon placement issues on a few guns in first person. SNG for example... I think just the guns' barrels showed in q1. I'm not sure how that would look in Gen tho... might be too plain.

I will agree that it doesn't 'feel' right. I've been saying something along those lines since I started playing Gen a long time ago... but I have yet to be able to say why. I just don't know...

Smaller maps in q1? Sure.. but then why does Doom 'feel' fine? Boggles the mind it does... mine anyway...
« Last Edit: 2005-04-25, 11:28 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #62 on: 2005-04-25, 12:36 »

It's usually veterans of a particular game that tell us the class doesn't feel right. There's a simple answer to it: Generations is not that game. The engine is different, your opponents don't play like the people you played in the originals, there are a few balance tweaks to keep things entertaining, etc.
If I launch up Quake 2 again, and run around -- then play as a Strogg Trooper in Generations, it won't feel the same. But it will be extremely close to it. It's just that the more you've grown into something, and the more 'zoomed in' on a particular experience you are, the bigger the differences start to seem.
I say enjoy the nostalgia - if you don't experience that in Generations, then probably the mod is not for you; only the real thing will suffice to meet the demand in that case.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #63 on: 2005-04-25, 12:41 »

I still blame the nails. Slipgate - Smile

EDIT: As a side note... I was wrong about the SNG... because I own. hah hah... *sigh*... feel free to ignore me now. HeadBanging
« Last Edit: 2005-04-25, 13:16 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #64 on: 2005-04-25, 13:33 »

I didn'tknow that about the earth sniper. I alwaysjust used itas a railgun. explains why I never hit anything.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #65 on: 2005-04-25, 14:01 »

That goes to show that the lack of a railtrail is also a disadvantage to the shooter ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #66 on: 2005-04-25, 16:29 »

Well having been too late to be a Doomer, i ended up playing quake for hours on end.

the same happened once i got got Quake 2 and quake 3, i lost a significant portion of my time over to these games

they say everybody has an opinion, so here's mine the slipgate class while close to quake 1 will never truely feel like quake world of old, for one thing the models are better, the graphics crisper and your opponents a whole lot different

sure the same class games help recapture the essence of the games, but they will never be the games.

As a mod Gen is pretty darn good, it captures the feel and playing style's of Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and it's many sequels.  but will never be those games.

the models are close to the originals, and in many cases better the gameplay is fast and furious

and best of all it's free, all you need is a copy of Quake 3 and 1.32 Patch.

Now doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy glow
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #67 on: 2005-04-25, 18:42 »

... i've passed by a crap load of MOD's in several engines/games... UT JailBreak & Q3A Generations still keep up as my absolute favorites Slipgate - Smile - After Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, that is, but that's a standalone game made by professsionals gone free at last moment ;P ...

... go GEN  Slipgate - Ownage  :rules:  Slipgate - Ninja  Thumbs up! ...
Eeks

« Reply #68 on: 2005-04-27, 19:54 »

So basically, it will all be alright in the full version yay. I would hardly say I was complaining. I was just wondering if you were going to keep the models for the full version and luckily you are not, well apart from the ones which are alright anyway. It was really just the axe and shotgun models I was worried about so everything should be alright now. Although I would definitely like to see a different thunderbolt skin.
CrioKnight

Ogre

« Reply #69 on: 2005-04-28, 21:52 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
Well having been too late to be a Doomer, i ended up playing quake for hours on end.

the same happened once i got got Quake 2 and quake 3, i lost a significant portion of my time over to these games

they say everybody has an opinion, so here's mine the slipgate class while close to quake 1 will never truely feel like quake world of old, for one thing the models are better, the graphics crisper and your opponents a whole lot different

sure the same class games help recapture the essence of the games, but they will never be the games.

As a mod Gen is pretty darn good, it captures the feel and playing style's of Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and it's many sequels.  but will never be those games.

the models are close to the originals, and in many cases better the gameplay is fast and furious

and best of all it's free, all you need is a copy of Quake 3 and 1.32 Patch.

Now doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy glow
And Can you believe that everyone hasn't caught on to this mod?
Strange I tell you, strange.
Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #70 on: 2005-05-01, 12:22 »

Indeed, well Q3 is getting on a bit,
but it's one of those games you can keep coming back to and enjoy..

I think a lot of people 'did' catch on to the mod but caught it at a much earlier stage with a lot of the features incomplete and without any servers to really play on (convinced a lot of people to try it back in the day).

Tis great to play now, with the regular organised games and a more finished feel overall, but I think the thing that holds back the people I know from playing is things like the memory of empty servers.. and melee weapons that didnt animate seemed to really put people off for some reason..

Still trying to grab more people and get them on servers anyways, such a brilliant mod  <3

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #71 on: 2005-05-01, 18:12 »

Weapon anims probably turned a good bunch of people away... wanting to see the Doomer break open that double barrel and replace the shells... and then not seeing it. Axes, knives, and the like not swinging.

Probably mistaking whatever version it was as being final. I'll be the optimist for once and say 1.0 will bring them back.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-01, 18:12 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

Drakan

« Reply #72 on: 2005-08-23, 08:44 »

You know what?  I love this mod so far.  just because of all the reasons mentioned about it.  bringing all the games together under one roof, the weapons, how you have to adjust your tactics.  it's great.  All the weapons feel a lot like their counter parts, although the combat shotgun from Doom 2(the double barrel) feels a little off.  I'm not complaining though.  Just patiently waiting for the next update.  But so far it's been a blast.

« Last Edit: 2005-08-23, 11:46 by Drakan » Logged
Rellik_jmd

« Reply #73 on: 2005-09-10, 01:36 »

Wow, just wow. You folks have done an AMAZING job on this. I've been a hardcore doomer for many years now:

(I'm the guy who's not the incredibly talented and wealthy coder)

and gotta say your guys are really kicking ass with this mod. So far this has been a real blast offline and I'll probably be stinkin' up your servers real soon. Gonna miss the rocket-rail combo's tho. :-)

One question: Though I have a feeling it would really throw balance out of whack is there any intention to get DOOMey closer to his original speed of about 56mph? :-)

Doing an excellent job guys, PLEASE keep it up. Mods this rocking should be fought tooth and nail for.

Here's a DOOM 2 frag you might get a kick out of, guy was waiting for me to come screamin out of the plasmaroom, I was in the SSG room. :-p

DivX 680kb:

http://www3.telus.net/public/daewoo/pics/f...unnyfrag1-3.avi

Everything happened just perfect, I fired just as he did, my shot damaged him bad and shoved him towards the corner, the RG finally fired hitting the corner and gibbing him, the gibs then flew threw the door and into the SSG room. Shoulda got a better cap of it but I don't have time to re-cam etc.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #74 on: 2005-09-10, 13:53 »

Great feedback!  That video is classic, but I'm not familiar with the HUD, is that Skulltag?  So you got to meet Teh Carmack!  That's awesome.  Thumbs up!

We won't pump the Doomer's speed up for standard play, owing to Q3's typical environments being non-friendly to the average speed of a classic Doomguy, plus having Doomers running about at 60MPH would kind of make the other classes pointless to play.  He may get a slight boost for our upcoming "oldschool" mode, which will the kid gloves off all the weapons and be completely unfair, but if he starts going void-diving too much we'll have to restrain it.  However, if you want to run around faster it is possible to do with the current build on a local game.  Just load up any map and change the g_speed cvar to something higher than 320.  This will pump the running speed of the bots up too, regardless of class, but you can load up with nothing but Doom bots and get some old-school feel in Q3.  Just watch out on those space maps!

We look forward to seeing you on the servers.  We hold regularly scheduled games Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, 3 PM eastern (9 PM CET) on the European server, and 9 PM eastern on the US server.  We have a server page listed on the main site, and the in-game browser should filter only Gen servers as well, though I prefer The All-seeing Eye myself.  Also, drop by our IRC channel, #wirehead on irc.wireheadstudios.net.  If nobody's playing at the time, you might be able to stir up a game.  Just be aware that we like to keep the games friendly for all players on the Wirehead servers, so we don't tolerate blatant chatkilling, excessive spawnkilling and camping.  Everything within reason of course, if someone's standing on a powerup spawn with a chatbubble up they're abusing our good nature, so that's asking for a fragging.  We just like to make sure everyone has a good time, so our basic rule is "keep it a fun game for everyone."  We save the "no rules" form of play for the yearly QuakeCon tourney.

Oh, and  :rules:  

Rellik_jmd

« Reply #75 on: 2005-09-10, 18:38 »

The game was in Legacy, my port of choice. Yeah I only play for fun. I never understood those people who have to be winning to have a good time, they're missing the point.

I forgot to do a real check but are the first two shots out of the chaingun perfectly accurate? I hope so, chaingun sniping can be a big part of dooming on larger maps and it's the closest thing we have to an accurate distance weap. :-)
« Last Edit: 2005-09-10, 18:39 by Rellik_jmd » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #76 on: 2005-09-10, 21:08 »

Feathering the trigger when using Doom's Chaingun will grant you the "first shot" accuracy that you're used to. A lot of people (myself included) really hate that gun as a result. Slipgate - Thumbs up!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #77 on: 2005-09-11, 01:59 »

Aye Mak, but to be fair we currently have the damage too high on it.  The Doom pistol also has first-shot accuracy.
« Last Edit: 2005-09-11, 01:59 by Phoenix » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #78 on: 2005-09-11, 10:20 »

I too think that the DooM's Chaingun is too powerfull. It is accurate and fast, so lowering weapon damage a bit woudn't harm the capabilities of the weapon. BTW Legacy is my fav for Multiplayer games, but for Single player, jDooM rules.
« Last Edit: 2005-09-11, 10:21 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #79 on: 2005-09-11, 14:25 »

... DooM chaingun in GEN is, if anything, somewhat underpowered, NOT OVERpowered. Please, do not lower its capabilities more...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: