2024-05-02, 00:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Deeper Insanity  (Read 9661 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-02-24, 09:32 »

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NGNEWS/50223002

Just read the article.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-24, 17:48 »

Dosent bother me a bit. Back in the day if you rubber banded a teacher you might get your ass paddled.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-24, 18:11 »

That's just it - he didn't even rubber band the teacher, he tossed it onto the teacher's desk.

l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-24, 21:44 »

That's Florida for ya. ;p

At any rate, I think it's dumb. Especially being that high on the list of 'things not to do.' I could see some stuff occuring b/c of this. Such as other students doing the same thing. Wonder what kind of freak the teacher is for turning the kid in. But then again, at least she's not sleeping w/ him like all the other ones in the news as of late. ;p

Speaking of, it's gonna be harder to allow women into Catholic priesthood now that they're also interested in 13 year old boys. ;p
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-24, 21:50 »

Hey, he said he tossed it onto the teachers desk. That may not be exactly what happened.

I get this sort of thing almost daily. A boy said he accidently ran into me 2 months ago. I was off school for 2 days, and my elbow is still sore.

What happend was that in front of 4 other teachers he pushed me to the ground.

Its going to court next week I believe, and it turns out he has over 70 arrests, and 11 prevous convictions.

Its all to do with point of view.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-24, 22:40 »

Mere words cannot decribe how utterly retarded this is.
« Last Edit: 2005-02-24, 22:40 by Footman » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-25, 00:15 »

Sadsville.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-25, 01:11 »

I think I'm with shambler on this.

he SAYS he tossed it on the teacher's desk.

But still putting it into the same group as arson is pretty retarded and a rubber hand is not a weapon imo.
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-25, 06:58 »

Oh wow! A rubber-band!

« Last Edit: 2005-02-25, 07:01 by McDeth » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-25, 09:34 »

Looking at that article, what I'm reading "between the lines" as it were is as follows:-

Pupil puts an elastic band around his wrist.  Between the lines bit: Was it because he wasn't paying attention in class? Otherwise why do such a thing?

Teacher asks Pupil for the elastic band. Between the lines bit: You! Pay attention in class! Come here and give me the elastic band..NOW.

Pupil decides to be cocky, goes up to the teacher and throws the rubber band at the teacher...gravity takes hold and the elastic band finds itself on the desk.

This is the grey area, he can say he just "tossed it onto the desk"...but is he just saying that to cover his own backside?  Given the lack of decently behaved young boys in the schools around here - I'm on the side of the school.

And for those of us who work in retail (translation: supermarkets mainly) and have to put up with the squealing of schoolkids who just won't STFU for anyone? Who constantly misbehave as you try to work? And you can't do anything for fear of losing your job should it get to the news like this incident has? Also notice that the article doesn't mention any accounts from other pupils?

Regards,

Yickle.
« Last Edit: 2005-02-25, 09:35 by YicklePigeon » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-25, 09:59 »

While I would like to give the kid the benefit of doubt here, I'm going with Yick on this. "I didn't do it" doesn't quite cut it, especially with so many missing details. "I tossed it on her desk" could simply mean "it didn't quite hit her in the face," but we don't know that for certain, and any kid's going to claim innocense when he's in that much trouble.

I do think that's an overly severe punishment, though...
« Last Edit: 2005-02-25, 10:04 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-25, 17:21 »

If the teachers were allowed to turn the kids over their knees and make examples of them, instead of this legalistic BS, this would not even be an issue.  But no, since teachers cannot discipline kids, now we have to arrest them or kick them out of school when their behavior gets bad.  Here's an example.

1900's:
Teacher:  Give me that rubber band now!
Student:  *defiantly throws rubberband on desk.*
Teacher:  *cracks student on the ass with a wooden paddle.*
Student:  *realizes THIS HURTS, DON'T DISRESPECT THE TEACHER*

Problem solved.

2005:
Teacher:  *calls principle about problem because teacher has no authority to disipline.*
Principle:  *can't do jack diddly except kick the student out of school because principle has no authority to discipline.*

Now, let's see why this is the case, by setting the proper action into the modern day setting:

2005:
Teacher:  *cracks student on the ass with a wooden paddle.*
Student:  *whines to parents*
Parents:  Lawsuit filed against school.
Media:  Feeding frenzy.
Schoolboard:  Socked for a few million dollars.
Schoolboard:  Fires teacher, principle, and anyone else who's a convenient scapegoat.
Schoolboard:  Lobbies government for higher taxes to pay for lawsuit.
Government:  Raises taxes.
ACLU:  Raises a stink over "civil rights violations".
Public:  Mad over tax raise.
Election:  Politicians lose seats.

I think you get the picture.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-02-25, 17:30 »

You're leaving an option out:

Teacher: Give me that rubber band now!
Student: *defiantly throws rubberband on desk.*
Teacher: *cracks student on the ass with a wooden paddle.*
Student: *goes home, tells parents*
Parents: *smack kid around*
Student: *now has learned an important lesson in life: violence is the answer*

There's nuances to be thought out, usually ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2005-02-25, 17:42 »

Id like to thank the idiot baby boomers who decided corporal  was bad and hence doomed the world to raising generation after generation of snot nosed brats. This plague on the souls of the young was brought to you by the same peoples whos free love brought us the wide spread STDS we know and love today! thanks again baby boomers!
« Last Edit: 2005-02-25, 17:43 by Woodsman » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2005-02-25, 19:19 »

I would like to read the teachers statement of the facts here. I am the local rep for the NASUWT (biggest teaching union in UK)  and see this kind of thing a lot. The student who assaulted me has pleaded 'not guilty'  even though it was wittnessed by 4 teachers and a janitor and at least 2 other students.

At least our students don't carry guns.
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #15 on: 2005-03-01, 19:55 »

You know, I mentioned the following sometime ago in #bored if I remember right:-

A vicar's joint-first hate is during any ceremony - a mobile phone going off...and unruly children.  The mobile phone user will most  likely apologise, but the parent(s) of the unruly children just can't see what harm their "angels" are doing.  And should anyone go on the offensive, we see a certain situation rising that Pho has already described.

When me and my sister were growing up, there twas a "three strikes and you're out!" rule - two warnings, then a stern warning followed by a threat of a smack if bad behaviour continues....continue on? SMACK!

One of my friends, he's about 40 and can't bring himself to smack his own children, because he confuses the childhood he had (where his father would beat him senseless) with the equivalent of a slap across the face with a big wet trout :

In any case, due to me and my sister having had boundaries set at an early age, brought up with a moral code that can adapt, minds that can be used for thinking/playing games etc etc...we're two well turned out adults.

What irks me more than anything, is seeing little boys of my friends...knowing that their mom/dad are good and that these little boys (and girls come to think of it) will grow up to be nothing more than low life punks.  I can just see it right in front of me...and I can't do anything about it...except when I have children - try to make them as tough, disciplined and educated as possible.   Tough because they're going to get groups of no-hopers trying to convince them to go down the bad road, disciplined enough to keep themselves in line and as law abiding as possible and educated so they can not only be able to try to be something better but know how to use their toughness and discipline.

Note to those who are slow: Tough does NOT necessarily equal physical strength,  I am a tought person, not in strength...but in the mind.

I have more to say, but will let it alone for a few.

Regards,

Yickle.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-03-01, 20:24 »

I was raised without ever getting smacked around really. My parents taught me things by explaining the reasons for limitations and restrictions, gave me ample room to discover things on my own (none of that weak stuff where kids wear HELMETS while learning to ride a bike in the backyard, just good and proper fall-and-get-up learning went on there). Although I won't claim I'm a model citizen, I think I the way I was raised is nearly perfect. I question actions of myself and others around me all the time, I make my own decisions and I understand the senselessness of common violence, the psychological results of every day events reasonably well, and I'm still learning.

I certainly wasn't the happiest kid I know, but I think that has more to do with my sombre, realistic/serious and sometimes self-deprecating nature, which I am said to have expressed ever since I was about five years old. Most of my friends have had similar youths, yet often it's a case of single parent families, living on the go (riverboat families), divorced and remarried parents etc, none of which I've experienced first hand.

Anyway, my point is that I get the honest impression that we're all rather clear-minded, trustworthy and friendly adult human beings, without ever having been whacked, smacked or beaten in any way that could be felt for longer than half a minute. If beating is the answer for you, perhaps it's time to look at other options, reasons and possibilities sometime ;]

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2005-03-01, 21:33 »

Everyone's makeup is different.  Some children will be reasonable, others are extremely headstrong and domineering.  Some avoid trouble, others go out of their way to cause it.  The key is having parents wise enough to recognize how to best raise the child with enough freedom to grow and explore, enough discipline to stay out of trouble, and enough protection to keep them from harm.  Discipline that includes an occasional paddling isn't a bad thing, it teaches consequence of poor judgement.  A strong-willed child that won't listen to the "no" and "don't" will need a sterner reminder why you don't go play in the middle of the street, or engage in other dangerous behavior.  Sometimes the child isn't old enough to understand, so it's a matter of prevention first and explanation later.  For example, a young kid might not understand that daddy's circular saw is dangerous because it could rip him into tiny little chunks, but he does know that if he touches it daddy gets mad, yells, and cracks him on the behind.  That's usually enough to prevent him from touching it again.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-01, 21:34 by Phoenix » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-03-01, 22:12 »

Either that, or spark the kids curiosity, depending on the nature you describe. I realise there are ofcourse different cases in which different approaches are acceptable - but on the whole, I prefer the way my parents went. They made sure that they didn't leave anything that I could seriously harm myself with just lying around for me to grab. I also think a lot of parents underestimate what a six year old actually can understand, if properly and clearly explained.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-02, 02:15 by Tabun » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2005-03-02, 01:50 »

Frankly i think these days adults need to get beat as much as kids. some people just need a beating.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: