2024-04-20, 05:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: My Q1 E3M7 Remake (Hole-eeee Christ, that's still around?)  (Read 25099 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« on: 2003-06-05, 05:47 »

Yes.. the map untouched for almost a year now is making some progress. I'll have some screenshots posted for yas in a few days since I know people like seeing perty pictures.

I work room by room, hallway by hallway... most others work with the map layout and architecture first then do lighting later. I just can't bring myself to do that, 'cause for me... atmosphere and lighting come first. After I finish a room, I can't help but light it up... it's more fun for me.

Anyway... I just finished a hallway and will work on the next 'big room' tomorrow. If I happen to finish it, I'll try to get some screenshots up for all a yas.

Now for some of my opinions... I don't really consider e3m7 a DM map in any way, shape, or form due to how it's designed, but am making a DM version regardless. After Resurgence gets completed, I'll release a 2nd version of the map... with buttons, doors, etc. Maybe even swap out the jump pads for lifts.

HeadBangingHeadBanging Rocking with the Band HeadBangingHeadBanging
« Last Edit: 2003-06-05, 05:53 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-05, 18:00 »

Cool looking forward to see those screens Slipgate - Smile
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-06, 11:43 »

Ok... hope you can finish the map a.s.a.p.

Rocking with the Band Rocking with the Band Rocking with the Band

« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-08, 23:16 »

Well I said I'd have screenshots after I finished the next room. Guess what? I haven't even touched that next room yet... well, I have... but it's only 2 walls. My sister's high school graduation was on the 6th and yesterday was just total hell for me. It's still carrying on today... so after my mood improves, I'll finish that room.

Till then, screenshots of what I have done so far can be found at http://nweb.pct.edu/homepage/student/KRETH...ake%20iii/e3m7/ ...and 98% of these some of you might recognize. Progress on my map has been moving extremely slow, but hey... at least I'm working on it. Resurgence is still a long ways down the road anyway, and that's what this map is mostly being made for.

On a side note... this is my second ever map that I plan on releasing, and my first with curves almost everywhere. I don't feel that curves are necessary, but people love them... now if I get criticized for using curves, I'm going to blow a gasket and people will suffer a long, slow death. I don't care if they say I'm using them wrongly.. using too many.. or whatever. I'll wish them a nice slow death. Harsh? Maybe, but it fits my current mood. Slipgate - Tongue
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-08, 23:28 »

Guest... *sigh*... how interesting. Whatever, that was me if yer wondering.

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2003-06-09, 02:08 »

its looking pretty tite spawn. i know imma like to frag some shamblers in it. or even just DM in it..i know its kinda large, but it'd be great for team DM Thumbs up!
i wish my gfx made gen look that good.. Banging Head against Wall
« Last Edit: 2003-06-09, 02:15 by OmEgA-X » Logged
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #6 on: 2003-06-09, 03:41 »

HeadBanging Not really a big map... bigger than dm4, yea... but not really that big. I still don't think it'd be good for DM, but ya never know. I might be surprised in this area, but I guess I'll never find out till I add bot support...which is way down the road yet. It's an extremely linear map with hallways and small rooms, most of which contain one exit from the way you came in. I just like the way they cram so many monsters into the map... it's rare for q1. HeadBanging

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-06-09, 20:46 »

hehe well im gonna bitch about curves so feel free to kill me Slipgate - Wink
About curves: sure sometimes curves looks great, i use them alot but do be carefull when using them, sometimes it do looks much better without them, also if you use too many of them your r_speeds will be very high! Using a heavy shader on a curved surface will also produce high r_speeds eg. a shiny metal shader.
you should add some other textures and the lvl needs more details.

The map looks good, if you keep up your work on it i think it will kick ass Slipgate - Smile
Once you release a beta i'll be happy to test it for ya Slipgate - Smile
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2003-06-09, 23:22 »

ReBoOt - "you should add some other textures and the lvl needs more details."

I felt that way when I looked at the 'teleporter lava type room' on the map... it just looks too plain. I felt this way a year ago when I made that room. I'll figure something out, but that'll come later.

As for the curves, trust me... I won't use too many. I actually try to avoid them where possible. The only curves I have on the map are in locations where I believe ID intended to have a curved surface, but with the technology of the time were only able to create a slant. Well, ok... that's not entirely true. I also tossed in a few curves here and there where I thought they looked better than without them (ceiling of the lava room, ceiling of the starting location, the archways, etc etc).
HeadBangingHailBanging Head against WallHeadBanging
« Last Edit: 2003-06-09, 23:27 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #9 on: 2003-06-10, 07:29 »

Screenshot of the next room are up... ( http://nweb.pct.edu/homepage/student/KRETH...ake%20iii/e3m7/ ), starting at shot0036.

The new room is no where near complete, except for maybe the lighting. Some people might consider it too dark, but remember what it's mainly being made for. In any case, I need to spicen up the walls a bit and change a few thing... like that ceiling, that has GOT TO change.

Also made a new sig, but I think it didn't come out as I had hoped... so as I soon as I'm done here I'll change it back, but hey... I can use it to pimp myself out. Check out http://nweb.pct.edu/homepage/student/KRETH.../spawnster2.jpg ! muahahaha
« Last Edit: 2003-06-10, 07:38 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #10 on: 2003-06-12, 02:07 »

looks good, and i like your sig
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #11 on: 2003-06-12, 12:13 »

Can I have your email ~SpAwN~?

There's something I want to ask you, and to tell you about this map.
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #12 on: 2003-06-12, 19:15 »

*Daedalus points to the little buttons under each post and the one which says Email

Heh, those buttons actually do things y'know
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-06-12, 21:27 »

hehe cool sig spawn Slipgate - Smile
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #14 on: 2003-06-13, 02:42 »

~SpAwN~: Based on what Daedalus has said, can you please check your message there?

And please reply me back using that message feature as well. Slipgate - Smile
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #15 on: 2003-06-13, 02:44 »

Indeed... but anyway. my email address is spawn@ptdprolog.net . As for mapping stuff, I haven't really been in the mood to map lately. My mood has just been too far burried in the dirt these last few days.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-09, 23:14 »

Time to revive this POS thread after almost a year... muahahahahahaha.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v246/V...en/Quake3/E3M7/

Use sp4wnst3r as a password.

There's screenshots of the next room I finished in there... thing is, the looked like shit at the time. Since taking screenshots of it, I've made it look a hundred times better. Why say that? Because you're not getting updated screenshots of the area, that's why. Slipgate - Smile

As for what's changed in my latest area since those screenshots... well, you won't be seeing that either. Yes, I had them all listed here... but it made this post WAY too long, haha. Slipgate - Smile

As a side note... I also changed the wall texture throughout the entire map. It looks a Hell of a lot better than that bland, crappy texture I had going before.

Side note #2: I'm about half way done with the next area in line... I'll get some screenshots of that area up upon completion.

And now for a random question... anyone know of a place where I can get some different button textures? As it stands right now.. in default q3, I have one choice for a pushable button... and one choice for a shootable button. Not a very extensive list of choices if you ask me. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-06-10, 00:13 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-10, 01:36 »

Show me textures (either screenshots or jpgs of actual textures) of buttons you'd like, and I'll see what I can pixelerate up for you.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #18 on: 2004-06-10, 04:45 »

Anything q1-ish in style would suffice. In the original version of the map, every button is a 'Q' symbol... but who likes being that basic? Definately not me. So, I'll opt for the alternate style of buttons...

-Side note... I just about had the next area DONE when my comp decided to friggin crash. I turn off that 'autosave after every 5min thing because at times I like to take a break from mapping to chat... play a game... something other than mapping, while still leaving Radiant open. Anyway... needless to say, I'm not in the best of moods right now..seeing as how I have to do everything I've done over again. *walks off muttering random swear words under his breath*-

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #19 on: 2004-06-10, 19:05 »

Here.go to this site and then click on "Doomsday links" button. Enter and then go to a retexturing project. At the bottom, there's a button saying "Quake retexturing". Go there. It might be useful for you ~SpawN~

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: