2024-04-23, 11:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Q1 E3M7 Remake (Hole-eeee Christ, that's still around?)  (Read 25196 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #40 on: 2005-04-30, 22:48 »

Big thanks goes to Skyviper (old clannie friend)... even tho he can't read this...

http://web.uvic.ca/~skyviper/SpAwN/q1e3m7v2.zip

And a blammo.. there ya go.

Questions, comments, and critiques are all welcome... unless they're specified in the link in one of my previous posts (the livejournal one), or in the text file inside the zip. In which case, you'll be ignored.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #41 on: 2005-05-01, 00:50 »

Well, it's certainly big, but it's not like we don't have other Big Maps of Bigness in the mappacks...

- Weapons and ammo are very sparse for a map of this size.
- Hall of Mirrors if you look up the shaft of that spike trap (switch activated)
- That button in the Medkit/Berserk area teleports the player no matter where he is. If I fire a nail at it and immediately use a Personal Teleporter before it hits the switch, the switch will still teleport me right outside that room.

+ It's a Quake/Slipgate map.
+ LAVA BALLS

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #42 on: 2005-05-01, 06:10 »

I guess I could add some more ammo in places. Right now, all the ammo in place is only where they were in the original. I'll say one thing tho... I never liked railguns, so railgun ammo isn't going to be appearing anywhere. The initial shots you get from picking up the weapon is good enough.. especially on a map with tight hallways like this one.

Can also texture the deathspike.. thing. Dunno why it isn't in the first place...

The third one is a known problem.. but it's the best I can do to replicate the original map in that regard. Unless there's another way of doing it that I don't know about. Right now it's just a button that triggers a teleport when shot. I probably could think outside the box and throw a normal teleporter down there I guess... but that might look odd..

And since I'm going back and touching up the map some more, I spoze I'll also touch up the area outside the grenade launcher room. Everything I've tried thus far tho didn't work at all.. looked better just plain and open like it is. But.. we'll see.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2005-05-01, 15:31 »

I agree with Makou.

An added side-effect of the map being quite huge (and having big rooms) is that there's a texture that becomes very repetitive. It is seen everywhere and everywhen, making it sort of bland feeling in some places.
Playing through the map, I noticed that the hallway you start in looks brilliant, and gradually when you 'play through' the map in singleplayer fashion, it grows more uninspired. Sometimes a cool feature pops up (like niches in the wall, or a huge decorative section of the wall), but there's hardly any division of The-Texture. (for instance, take the hallway 'after' the beserker room - in that and the following section there's a big contrast with the entryway for instance)

I especially liked the semi-golden skull-crest texture that appears in the first parts of the map, and something like that could greatly spice up bigger areas.

Just my 2 cts on that.

There's one bug that I ran into, but as you said; ignore me if you know about it, looking through the roof grating in the first hallway, I can see into the room (the ceiling mainly) the comes after it, which should be physically impossible :]

It took me a while to figure out which Quake map it was, but that's just me - it's really been a while. Great work so far, and considering the size, no wonder you've been working such a long time on it ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-05-01, 15:32 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #44 on: 2005-05-01, 18:07 »

The texturing right now is done similar to the original map. Everywhere where there's a break in The Texture, is where there was one in the original.

The zerker room is actually my pride and joy room.. that one at the big ending room with the cage (not counting the secret areas or any of the hallways). Granted this isn't going from a texturing and detail perspective... in those rooms, it was all about the lights for me.

I did feel the same way you felt at one time tho, about the repetative texture. Back when I was using a different texture combination... the main texture was an ugly brownish rock thing. In what I can only dub as the 'castle room' it looked just BLAH. I changed the textures to what they are now and the room was spiced up tenfold.. just from doing that alone.

The 'looking at other rooms through the sky' thing is known, and I forgot to mention it in my posts. I've asked ReBoOt for help on this before, and it was deemed unfixable... unless something came up in the past year or so that I don't know about. A minor flaw, but a flaw nonetheless.. but hey, if you're staring at ceilings, you're likely going to get fragged.. instead of doing the fragging.

And no, the size isn't why it took me so long. Let's see... year 1 I worked on all the start areas of the map, up to the first teleport in the lava room. About a week or so, off and on... then I took about a year break. Year 2.. I picked up with getting that teleport working, and made everything (a HUGE majority of the map) up to the hallway near the end with the spike shooters, even got them working! Again, about a week or so off and on.. then the slightly less than a year break. And then lastly.. in the last few days.. I made all the ending rooms.. and looped the end and start portals together. About 2 days, off and on.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #45 on: 2005-05-01, 20:00 »

Very nice map, but bots seem to get trapped in the box where the Vore normally lives. they didn't seem to understand the button to shoot. I understand that you probubly didn't intent it for bots.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #46 on: 2005-05-01, 20:14 »

Alright im gonna download this and test it! Btw If you want lavaballs in your map i could give you the entity for it if you don't already have it.

And another side note on the "i can see thru the sky to another room" Either you can cover up the other room with some kind of geometry, also i've heard it's possible to break vis by just using one large skybox for those two rooms, however i havent tested this my self so im not sure...

Now there might be a third way by using common/hint brushes..but this is a real pain and don't ask me how to use them..as far as i know you can use them to split  vis.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: