2024-04-19, 03:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: A fun project  (Read 81786 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #100 on: 2005-04-20, 17:52 »

This whole likeness/concept deal confuses me. Here's an example of what I'm trying to get at.

Take Gen's plasma rifle for example:

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/album/album...shots.sized.jpg

Now take the original:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/DaJ...PlasmaRifle.jpg

So if the brown metal plate thingie was on gen's plasma rifle, would then that be considered an IP problem? How would one judge an IP violation based on likeness? Some people may say that gen's model doen't look like the original, some may say that is doesn't, and then there may be some people who say "it kinda does"
So if I give my chaingunner model some hair and remove his facial hair, would I still be walking the line?

BTW that enforcer looks really awsome. The shoes look ackward for some reason I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't really bother me. Great skin, I wish I could skin like that.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-20, 18:01 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #101 on: 2005-04-20, 18:00 »

What we have concluded (and in fact is mentioned at least twice in this thread), is that weapons are not a problem. We even have been given permission to use the names. Before trying to make everything clear, keep in mind that this is typically one of those 'gray area' sides of the law. Where exactly to draw the line? Well, unless you'd like a whole lot of speculation in regards to the way distributors/lawmen decide on that, let's keep it simple and take what we know: Yay for guns, nay for characters.

Also, that bottom shot is not the original, right? :]
It's just another person's interpretation of the original, which is the Doom sprite itself.
The plasmagun is a rather odd choice here, by the way, since it is one of our weapons that looks least like (a specific version of) the original. Take the Strogg rocket- or grenadelauncher and compare the way they resemble the original versions; the inclusion of the latter two in Generations is totally legal.

Edit: I'm going to consider the discussion of CR/IP on-topic, until the final word is out on the Enforcer's legality ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-04-20, 18:04 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #102 on: 2005-04-20, 18:16 »

Darn my horrible communication skills. Slipgate - Sad
I was wrong on using weapons since they are not a problem.
What I want to know is do I need direct permission to release a chiaingunner model that protains likeness to the original, (which is the issue now) and any other model afterwards? My comprehenion skills are poor so forgive me if it was said already.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-20, 18:17 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #103 on: 2005-04-20, 20:40 »

I don't see any problem with said skills :] - just clearing some stuff up.

You do not need express permission to either make or release a Quake 3 PPM resembling the Doom Chaingunner. (As long as it is made from scratch) you can make it look as much as the original as you can, and there won't be a problem. You are allowed to release it on a depository model site (such as Polycount.com), and you'll be totally ok.
Possible problems arise if we were to release that model with Generations ;]

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #104 on: 2005-04-20, 21:31 »

Tab: Looking good!! On the Gen issue, perhaps I'm talking out of my arse, but what about releasing the model as a VQ3 PPM, and then releasing the animation2.cfgs seperately? Just a thought.

Pho: Did somebody mention Hunt? Slipgate - Wink The customizable script sounds great, but Slipgate - Off Topic would there be any extra projectiles available (such as fireballs, laser bolts, gibs Sipgate - Evil , etc)?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #105 on: 2005-04-20, 22:47 »

resurgence is based on hunt for a part .
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #106 on: 2005-04-20, 23:40 »

I have no reason to leave animation2.cfgs out of the loop? Inserting them in the pack doesn't destroy VQ3, right?

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #107 on: 2005-04-21, 01:00 »

Nor would including the extra frames that will be needed in the PPM's upper for the new stances we have in mind.  That's why I went with the animation2.cfg concept.  It allows us to make models that can be fully compatible with Gen, without being incompatible with VQ3.  It also allows model authors to adapt their already existing models to work with Gen and still be compatible with VQ3.  I may be a bird-brain, but I do try to plan ahead.  Slipgate - Smile~

And that bottom weapon, while it is a nice render of a high poly model, is an artists interpretation of a plasma rifle.  It is not the original for the following reasons:

1)  It's a bull-pup configuration.  If you don't know what this means, it has to do with the magazine being behind the trigger instead of forward of it.
2)  It has no upper carry handle.
3)  It has a red dot reticle on it.
4)  The magazine looks like a hyperblaster mag instead of a Doom cell clip.

The original Doom plasma rifle had no shoulder stock, had the handle in the back, and had the cell clip in front of the trigger.  The model I made is true to that, while the housing is open to expose the nice glowey plasma tubes.  That was a design decision on my part.  This artist's version has the housing true to the original, but he modified the receiver area.  You could say both of ours are derivatives.  What he did could easily be an alternate model used for close-quarters combat, with a shorter housing and interchangable barrel with the standard plasma rifle, whereas ours is "What the Vadrigar decided to cook up based on the original".

That's where artistic license comes into play, the same with Tab's enforcer.  If you're remaking something at a higher definition, you're going to have to make decisions on how you want to spice it up.
 Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2005-04-21, 01:08 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #108 on: 2005-04-21, 17:21 »

I see.
Well I hope there won't be a problem releasing it with gen, but I won't put all my eggs in one basket. ;^)
Or would things like monsters be distributed like the map-packs are?
And I do see why I should have compared model to model instead of sprite to model. :^)
« Last Edit: 2005-04-21, 17:25 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #109 on: 2005-04-27, 18:16 »

And to show this project is by no means dead:

Yup, it's in Quake 3!

I still have to do an acceptable taunt animation, and do some touching up on the rest, but it's nearly ready for PPM-release.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #110 on: 2005-04-27, 18:18 »

And I suppose it's no surprise that he looks far better than any of the standard Q3A player models. Slipgate - Wink

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #111 on: 2005-04-27, 18:45 »

You are right Makou
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #112 on: 2005-04-27, 19:27 »

Sweet, man! Does that mean you found sounds too? Or are you going with Sarge grunts?

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #113 on: 2005-04-27, 19:29 »

Nup, no sounds yet, but I'll try my hand at a sound pack.. if anyone's got something for me to try (other than illegally ripped audio ofcourse), let's hear it!

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #114 on: 2005-04-27, 19:35 »

Looks awsome Tabs.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #115 on: 2005-04-27, 20:00 »

That's damn good work! Slipgate - Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #116 on: 2005-04-27, 23:38 »

... i have a bonner on that model now... i'll see how sounds behave, or be back to Slippy :p ...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #117 on: 2005-04-28, 01:28 »

I think he could just pound his chest with his off-hand a few times and it would look very appropriate for the "grunt" mentality.  Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #118 on: 2005-04-28, 01:30 »

holy cow thats great Slipgate - Laugh
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #119 on: 2005-04-28, 13:30 »

That looks really cool, brings a tear to my eye :
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: