2024-04-19, 10:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: A fun project  (Read 81823 times)
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #140 on: 2005-05-02, 17:07 »

nice, you all know which model i'll be using for doom then now Slipgate - Laugh
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #141 on: 2005-05-02, 17:33 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
i tink he mean's nicking the animation files.  would that work with Arachnatron?
BORROWING. Let's be clear on this. Slipgate - Wink

As I think Pho may have mentioned on another thread (if my memory serves me right, correct me if I'm wrong), third party models will need to have their own specific anim2.cfgs once these anims are coded in so this may only be a temporary setup.

So much for me trying to be clever ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #142 on: 2005-05-02, 17:39 »

yup had a fiddle and well, it doesn't work  Slipgate - Sad

anybody fancy showing me how i could fix this ?, as it would be cool to have the old spider brain back
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #143 on: 2005-05-02, 18:21 »

Keep in mind that you will not be able to see, or even use, third-party models on the Central server. sv_pure being on prevents any "outside" PK3 files from being used as a method of cheat prevention.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #144 on: 2005-05-02, 18:33 »

yes any outside files, but if the file is on the server - it's deemed pure and clients can use it.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #145 on: 2005-05-02, 19:00 »

so any ideas?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #146 on: 2005-05-02, 19:11 »

it's deemed pure and clients can use it.
What if a client does not have the given file? Remember pure server not only prohibits outside pk3's but doen't let the client join unless they have the server's pk3's as well.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-02, 19:12 by Little Washu » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #147 on: 2005-05-02, 19:37 »

Man, this thread's gone off on a tangent. Slipgate - Roll Eyes I thought it was supposed to be a Q3 PPM anyway. Besides, I only do the whole anim2 thing for a wider variety of bots to shoot when I'm not playing online. Sipgate - Evil

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #148 on: 2005-05-02, 19:57 »

I don't really see the problem/point myself.

I've made a pk3 that you can smack into your baseq3 dir. without any adjustments nescessary.
It will then:
a) work in Q3
b) work in Generations, for the Slipgate class
c) will (currently) not be visible on pure servers

That's all there is to it. No hacking, tweaking or discussing is needed or helpful here.. What's more interesting, and more on-topic is the following:
d) it has no real sounds yet, so again, if you feel up to the task, give it a go, and
e) there will be another release later, hopefully with the aforementioned sounds, but also with some modifications to the animations, where they still show some bugs.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-02, 19:58 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #149 on: 2005-05-02, 20:38 »

I can knock up a botfile for it if you want.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #150 on: 2005-05-02, 20:48 »

Ehr, sure, that'd be nice :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #151 on: 2005-05-02, 21:16 »

Well, here it is. He doesn't say much, but he's pretty nifty with the shaft:

Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #152 on: 2005-05-02, 23:31 »

great :]
it's comin' to life   Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2005-05-02, 23:31 by Damager » Logged
OoPpEe

Spectre

« Reply #153 on: 2005-05-03, 00:59 »

Love the model, just didn't like some of the sounds (I know they are a placeholder).
Here is another placeholder users could use if they wish. More variety on the sounds (hits, deaths, new jump and falling ect), while still keeping the true Enforcer sounds.

Also here is how to do a half-assed fix for the swimming:
Open up the animation.qc and look for the:
// LEGS_SWIM line:
replace it with this:
192   10   10   15      // LEGS_SWIM
« Last Edit: 2005-05-03, 03:56 by OoPpEe » Logged
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #154 on: 2005-05-03, 20:10 »

Botfilez yay!
Great model tabs, I'll try to find some time to whip up some sounds for this lad.

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #155 on: 2005-05-04, 01:40 »

Update:  I can't find my microphone unfortunately.  Hopefully, I'll find it soon when I tear apart my room more fully.  Sorry about that Tabun.  I'm not sure what I'd be able to produce would have been worthwhile anyhow. :p  If I do come across it though, I'll DCC some kind of working demo for the sound pack to you in the IRC channel or something.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-07, 05:35 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #156 on: 2005-05-05, 17:23 »

Excellent job as always Tab. Although, I always thought the zombies in Quake were supposed to be just like Ranger, but with beige-white uniforms and blood stains. Oh wait, now I remember there were some 'super zombies' that were bigger than the regular grunts- that must be what the enforcers were. Now that I remember that, it seems like you did a good job differenciating the enforcers from the regular grunts (although a grunt skin for the Ranger model would still be cool).

The original Doom plasma rifle had no shoulder stock, had the handle in the back, and had the cell clip in front of the trigger.  The model I made is true to that, while the housing is open to expose the nice glowey plasma tubes.  That was a design decision on my part.

Ironically, Phoenix, that decision actually does a good job of combining the original Doom plasma rifle design with the Doom 64 plasma rifle design (which features lots of electric glowing stuff). It's funny cause I know you didn't like Doom 64 at all. Well, good job anyway.

And I have to agree, that other plasma rifle model looks totally wrong. The plasma rifle is an energy weapon, not an assault rifle. It feeds from battery cells, not NATO 5.56mm STANAG magazines. It clearly has no need for a bullpup configuration either since it doesn't work by normal projectile ballistics. The aimpoint looks like it ripped off of an airsoft P90 and glued on.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-05, 17:25 by Gnam » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #157 on: 2005-05-05, 19:03 »

Actually I was partly inspired by a screenshot of the Doom 64 plasma rifle for showing off the plasma tubes.  Carnage had sent me screenshots of some of the weapons very early on in Gen's development process.  Let's just say the stills looked fantastic at the time.  It was when I loaded up an emulated version of Doom 64 quite a bit later that my very negative opinion of the game was actually formed.  The plasma rifle was also the first Doom model I actually completed, and my philosophy at the time was to show off the energy inside the guns since they looked a bit plain in the sprites.  This was partly in answer to the Arena plasma gun, and partly because, well, I like eye candy. Slipgate - Wink

I did pretty much the same thing to Ranger's shaft, and Grunt's BFG10K, but I kept a lot of the energy effects more sublime on the 10K.  Doom is all about raw power, Slipgate is function over form, and  Strogg is about style and finesse.  I think the models reflect those differences quite well and serve to differentiate each generation a bit better and gives them their own distinct feel, but that's just my opinion.  I know Tab's skin work certainly makes them stand out from each other, while at the same time unifying them as all fitting together in the same universe.
Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #158 on: 2005-05-06, 15:52 »

Hmm, this is a bit off topic so I'll be short, but you might fancy taking a look at the Doom 64 TC for doom 2 if you weren't really satisfied with the emulated version. I've never actually played it on the n64, but the TC did surprise me with its quality. It's even got the backing of two of the original team members who worked on it, which can't be bad. Comes in opengl flavour with mouselook and all that jazz, doom2.wad required: http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-download.html

By the way, I do like the little changes on all the models you guys have come up with - I see no reason why they should be carbon copies of the originals when you have the chance to add your own unique flavour to them - otherwise where would be the fun? Apart from anything else though, alot of the original designs from Doom and especially Wolf are a bit to simplistic to just be transferred straight into 3d, so you guys are doing a cracking job at interpreting them.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #159 on: 2005-05-06, 16:09 »

Absolution SUCKS. That's about all I have to say about it.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: