2024-04-20, 02:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: A fun project  (Read 81846 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #80 on: 2005-04-19, 18:20 »

That is feaking awsome skin Tab. It scared me at first.
I have a fear of red eyes to the point of heart attack.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be illegal for a spacesuit guy weilding a laser gun be recreated. It's like trying to make it illegal for a car company to make SUVs execpt for the company who originally created the design.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 19:17 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #81 on: 2005-04-19, 19:34 »

What Makou said.

The resemblance is a bit on the too-exact side to throw it on the 'a generic humanoid cannot be copyrighted' argument. My model resembles the original in shape, in texture (colours, some level of detail). Animation and sound will obviously be different, but I fear that if someone decides on a no-go and wants to sue, we're fried.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #82 on: 2005-04-19, 20:00 »

I don't understand why the whole copyright thing is such a huge issue if everything is scratch-made and the mod is not for profit.

it's not like you're threatening to put id out of business with a tribute mod based on their old characters.  Slipgate - Sad
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #83 on: 2005-04-19, 21:11 »

Just a little step further.

The point is that copyright issues are generally not something that (when approached the nice way, like we did and do) harms or insults the actual authors. It's the distributors and typical bureaucratic organisations behind them that throw a fit, probably for no other reason than that they can. Power is such a 'wonderful' thing - and under the guise of 'otherwise we wouldn't know where to draw the line', a lot of reasonable approaches get shoveled out of the way.

Something I missed earlier;
Makou: As I understand it, a sharp distinction is made between objects and characters. Objects, such as weapons and items are no trouble at all, it seems, as indeed Generations is totally legal with pretty near likeness in that area. Characters would be a different story altogether and we can only use those because they were included in Quake 3 Arena in the first place. It all comes down to figuring out whether or not this particular monster is considered to be a 'character' in that respect.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 21:16 by Tabun » Logged

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #84 on: 2005-04-19, 21:15 »

Is there a diference between this enforcer model and Arachnatron at polycount in term of legality ?

It looks stunning  Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 21:16 by Kingu » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #85 on: 2005-04-19, 21:20 »

BTW, thanks for the kind words all ;]

Kingu: Not really. The copyright issue is pretty much the same for that, with one exception: the enforcer is basically a generic hazard-suit-armor marine, which might make it less 'copyrightable'. The Arachnotron is in essence undeniably one of id's creations and the likeness of the polycount model can be directly linked back to the original monster.

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #86 on: 2005-04-19, 21:32 »

So if i understand correctly, "We" have more chances to be legal, than over 3 years old Arachnotron model ? Slipgate - Roll Eyes
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #87 on: 2005-04-19, 22:07 »

Tab: As I understand it, yes, that's correct. Although, if you remember SOG for Quake 2, they used the exact same player models for the "Blaze" and "Flynn" classes as Q2Gen did for Wolf3D and Doom, so the issue there seems to be the fact that the Q2Gen classes were named "WolfGuy" and "DoomGuy" -- obviously saying that they were the characters from Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. While the names and sounds were in violation of copyright, the models themselves were apparently legal.

Following that, if you called this guy something other than what could easily be viewed as "the Enforcer enemy from Id Software's Quake" and gave him his own set of sounds ... the model should be completely legal, at least as a PPM. Its usage in Resurgence may be another issue, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 22:09 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #88 on: 2005-04-19, 22:08 »

Kingu: If you're trying to insert 'Us' as part of an official mod release? Yes.

Mak: I agree, and I hope the relevant authorities agree with us.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 22:09 by Tabun » Logged

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #89 on: 2005-04-19, 22:31 »

Yes "Us" as part of an official mod release.  
 Actualy i should say You, I'm not a beta tester.

I also thought, would it be and issue if Resurgence had desciption battle against certainst bot/computer controlled player models not monsters ?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #90 on: 2005-04-19, 22:49 »

I highly doubt that id will lose profits for this. If anything gain some, just look at Tab's beautiful creation. Pimping things like that are hard. :hat:

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #91 on: 2005-04-19, 23:23 »

What people are failing to grasp here is it's not copyright that's the problem, it's intellectual property (IP) rights.  There's a difference.  Copyright is if I take the v_spike.mdl from Quake and use it in Gen . That's a copyright violation.  An IP violation is a lot more grey, but has to do more with ownership of concept.  Let's say, for example, I decide to make a video game with a blue spikey-haired mammal named "Turbo the Porcupine" that bore a decidedly strong resemblence to another spikey-haired blue mammal of similar species.  That could open grounds for a lawsuit because I'm ripping off the concept of their character.  If the resemblence is very strong it's an IP violation and the lawyers can pounce if they so choose.  If it's a very loose resemblence you might get away with it, provided it's loose enough to not be readily and easily mistaken for the original.  There are all sorts of reasons for these kinds of protections that go far beyond what we're dealing with here.  Also, do not confuse this with use of character in satire or parody, that's an area that's expressly protected under the First Amendment rights of freedom of expression, otherwise Comedy Central and "Weird" Al Yankovic wouldn't be employed.

Weapons tend to be a more open area.  A shotgun is a shotgun is a shotgun.  Specific and unique weapons, like the BFG's, were the questionable area but Id said we were OK with calling them the proper names from the original games.  That was resolved early on.  Making our own, from-scratch content keeps us from violating copyrights, and the IP concerns were cleared up by LeeMon's frequent correspondence to Todd H.  Also, profits are irrelevent.  We make zero (0) profits from Generations, yet people have repeatedly ripped off our models at various times.  Just because we don't make money from our work does not give people a license to take our work and call it their own.  That is expressly protected under copyright law, and we're within our rights to seek legal relief against someone if they do that.  There's also a burden to do so.  Ever hear of "abandonware"?  If we don't protect our rights, after a time, a precedent is considered for forfeiture, so it's not that companies are "out to squash people because they can", it's that if they want to maintain any semblence of control over their own content they are required to pounce on violators.  It's just the nature of the copyright system.

Everyone also needs to keep in mind our primary goal in our work is to be respectful of Id Software, their copyrights, and their intellectual property.  The goal is not to win a legal hair-splitting contest.  This isn't an "us against them" situation.  Please bear that in mind.  The last thing we want is for Id to change their mind about Gen and decide we're invading their personal space and tell us to pull the plug.  They've allowed us to continue this project without trouble because we've been respectful, asked permission, and cleared just about everything possible with them before proceeding.  Reborn got shut down because they did not ask permission and used character likenesses specifically to re-create monsters and basically wanted to do a Q3-to-Doom TC.  Id did allow the models to be released as PPM's, so Tab is almost certainly OK to release his model as a Q3 PPM; the question is whether we can include it officially with Generations without stepping on any toes.  That's what we need to clear up.

Id Software has every right to protect what is theirs, and we respect this right and will continue to go out of our way to make sure we stay on their good side.  If we didn't love their games then WTF are we doing this for anyway, right?
 Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #92 on: 2005-04-19, 23:40 »

Right  ... Slipgate - Love  <3  ...   Slipgate - Grin

Side note, when we will have strogg smilies ?
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 23:41 by Kingu » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #93 on: 2005-04-20, 01:13 »

There we go. All cleared up again.
My bad for not making the IP/CR distinction - the former was what I was talking about ;]

I've done pretty much 99% of the texturing (and thus, the skinning). Note that the visor will look different in Q3, I still need to write a shader for that and Npherno's GLviewer only allows a simple additive blend. Still, you'll get the general idea.

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/enforcer_08.jpg
(it's a little wide, so I didn't spam it in the topic)

And the skin maps:

I'm going to write up a shader now, and see how it looks in Quake.

After that, I'll have to get some animations done -- I think I'll tackle the Quake first person weapon anims first though! :]
« Last Edit: 2005-04-20, 01:14 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #94 on: 2005-04-20, 01:20 »

And hopefully after this week (bummer) I'll be able to get back to some serious Gen work.  I hate distractions, especially the time-consuming variety.  Enforcer is looking very nice.  He's unmistakable, and looks a lot more menacing than the original.  Slipgate - Smile

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #95 on: 2005-04-20, 01:59 »

Slipgate - Love That looks so awesome... AND so nostalgic. After looking at that pic, I made a run through e2m1 just to fight the enforcers for the first time in about 2 years. Slipgate - Love

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #96 on: 2005-04-20, 09:38 »

"freeze!" *gurgle gurgle* *zapp zapp* *ZAT ZAT*

the Enforcer looks awesome, I'd totally use him in Gen, permitting we make it that far.

Resurgance won't ever happen, realistically, on account of intellectual properties. Resurgance should have the old monsters ... but if you can't even legally re-create the monsters, what's the point? unless you make the Shambler into a 14 foot tall snowman that shoots lightning from his ass (yes, his ass), I don't see why you should even bother. Slipgate - Sad

btw, how is it that we're capable of remaking/remixing maps from old games, so long as they're scratch made? why wouldn't IP affect those as well?

just a thought  Slipgate - Ownage
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #97 on: 2005-04-20, 10:07 »

Well actually no one has said that remaking maps is "illegal" but nor has anyone said they are leagal either.
That's why generations is released with seperate mappacks.

But since there are plenty of remakes of diffrent maps to diffrent games it seems to be OK to most game companies.
Btw i think if you remake a map you should stay in the "game" series eg. q1 q2 q3 or doom doom 2 doom 3. remaking a quake map to eg. Unreal i think is out of the question.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #98 on: 2005-04-20, 12:05 »

1. Maps are a gray area, that's (among other things) why we're releasing mappacks, not a single gen-pack ;]

2. Resurgence would not include all the monster models, but would be a base that 'third party' material could be installed into. We'd only distribute the base, but anyone could make or download 'monster kits' and play with them.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #99 on: 2005-04-20, 16:52 »

Resurgence was cleared with Todd H. a long time ago because it does not require any specific monster models.  It's a long story, but here's the gist of it.

1)  Resurgence would use a plug-in script system.
2)  Scripts can reference any valid Q3 player model.
3)  Third-party models could function however the script author decided.

So you write a script for a monster that's X units long by Y units wide by Z units high, H number of health, and fires Doom-style plasma projectiles.  Fine, you could use Orbb for all we care, but you could also tell it "use the Arachnotron player model" and voila, instant monster.  This means the end user is using already released third-party player models.  We're not doing anything that would violate a copyright or IP rights since it's a generic scripting system that would allow anyone to write anything they wanted.  Of course, we could release pre-defined scripts, and then the end-user would need to download the models, or a separate "monster pack" could be made like the mappacks as a courtesy to the players.  See, there's several options, but the plug-in functionality is what made the entire thing permissible.

Just because we've still got a lot to do it does not mean Resurgence is a dead issue at this point.  I think it's just that we had a lot more on our plate than we initially thought.  You don't find out how much work is involved in something like this until you get knee deep in the code.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-20, 16:53 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: