2024-03-28, 13:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: QCon Generations Tournament?  (Read 25012 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2005-05-03, 11:03 »

ATTENTION ALL QCON ATTENDEES

Are you interested in a Generations Arena tournament at QuakeCon this year? We need to know NOW. Comment on this post and tell us what you think.

Any questions should be directed to jess at wireheadstudios.org.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-03, 15:30 »

1.) Anyone of the regulars shouldn't be allowed to join in, because giving away free prizes to regulars is dumb. See last year.

2.) ALL those countless PR people we have on the team should actually do something about its promotion this time, if there is a tourney. I found it almost hard to believe that there was practically no advertising or promotion last year, when we have several teammembers with nothing else on their hands than to do just that.
I don't think Phoenix and I can be realistically expected to take on that extra task aswell..? (end rant)

3.) I'm ashamed to say I won't be there, and less ashamed to give Jess a big hug for tackling the tourney again!
« Last Edit: 2005-05-03, 15:31 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-03, 16:02 »

Last year's tourney was a disaster, because a) we let a beta tester play and b) we let a beta tester play and c) we didn't advertise it at all.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-03, 17:47 »

Absolutely no team members, beta testers, or other individuals directly affiliated with Wirehead Studios or Generations Arena's development should be allowed to participate in the tourney.  Let's keep it fair and fun, and for the players.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-03, 18:03 »

Maybe there could be a separate mini-tournament/exhibition for WHS afiliates who wish to participate in a Gen-related event at QCon, aside from running the tournament?

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-03, 20:04 »

Will there be one next year?
I will go for sure then. ;^)

jess

Archvile

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-04, 01:19 »

Three of you are complaining about the advertising last year, but yet no one was there to step up and actually help plan. I had to do 95% of it all on my own. Tek and Woodsman were the only people who actually stepped to give me a little help (Tek did a little advertising in other places and woods donated the 2nd place prize). Not to mention I repeatedly asked for things to be posted on the main page and they never were. It only got to the Gen page. So instead of complaining how about a little help?
« Last Edit: 2005-05-04, 01:25 by jess » Logged
Guest_LooF

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-04, 08:46 »

what are you talking about? last years tourney was a blast even though tekhead just pwned everyone. The NOC announced the tournament a bit early in advance IMO. I had a friend who want to participate but didn't because it was so far later and he forgot.

I'd love to fire up another and get my ass beat.  Sipgate - Evil
CrioKnight

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-04, 15:04 »

w0w.. no beta testers.
Slipgate - Tongue
Thanks woodsman.
Slipgate - Smile
I would love to see another gens tourney.

w00t!

<*I'm a man of few words and one liners>
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-04, 15:55 »

Jess: I am complaining exactly because hardly anybody helped you out, that was the whole point..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-04, 17:38 »

Crio:  You have the "members" title by your name, which means you're not "Beta Testers" nor "WHS Team Members", so I see no reason why you'd be barred from the tourney.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-05, 10:20 »

Slipgate - Off Topic  I'd love to go, but I'll probubly be gigging, like last year at the time. Any way we,(tab and me, and the others) can keep in touch,like a live webcam or something? I'll be on the road, but will look in when I can.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-06, 06:40 »

Also, I think last year's tourney winner should be excluded so as to give everyone else a fair shot.  Tekhead was recently dropped from the Beta Test team, but having won two tourneys so far and having been involved in a lot of Gen's development I think it's only fair.  If we just want to buy someone a new video card it better be me or Tab since we're working our asses off here.  Also, no Pro players.  By this I mean people like Fatal1ty or Daler who actually get paid money to play video games.   I'd prefer Joe Quaker to have an actual chance in the tourney this time.

Also, LooF mentioned something to me the other day that makes perfect sense - incentives.  Prizes are good and all for the winner, but extra incentive is always good.  People like free stuff, and food/refreshments are always good.  Think:  Bawls, Dew, bag of chips, etc.

One other thing crossed my mind.  We gave out CD's last year, etc, but did anyone bother to print up some fliers with the tourney schedule to include WITH the CD's last time around?  It seems to me that would be a no-brainer - give CD, give tourney info, get players.  If you give out 100 CD's, that's 100 potential competitors, and if some kind of grand prize is stamped in bold letters on the flier you'll be more likely to get someone's attention.  We also should have some kind of demos of Gen playing on at least one system all the time so people walking by the Wirehead area will see it and drool.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-06, 06:46 by Phoenix » Logged

l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-06, 22:40 »

Quote from: Guest_LooF
what are you talking about? last years tourney was a blast even though tekhead just pwned everyone.
Not exactly. Crio gave him a run for his money and didn't make his win easy. I watched most of the final round. =P

I think a Gen tourney is perfect for helping the mod get known. But, if nobody is willing to help advertise it prior to QC, then it doesn't do much good. I'll help out as much as I can, but I'm limited in what I can being that I'm busier than a 2$ hooker lately.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-07, 05:46 »

But not in the same line of employment, thankfully! Slipgate - Wink

jess

Archvile

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-13, 03:25 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Also, LooF mentioned something to me the other day that makes perfect sense - incentives.  Prizes are good and all for the winner, but extra incentive is always good.  People like free stuff, and food/refreshments are always good.  Think:  Bawls, Dew, bag of chips, etc.

One other thing crossed my mind.  We gave out CD's last year, etc, but did anyone bother to print up some fliers with the tourney schedule to include WITH the CD's last time around?  It seems to me that would be a no-brainer - give CD, give tourney info, get players.  If you give out 100 CD's, that's 100 potential competitors, and if some kind of grand prize is stamped in bold letters on the flier you'll be more likely to get someone's attention.  We also should have some kind of demos of Gen playing on at least one system all the time so people walking by the Wirehead area will see it and drool.
Again, you're telling me everything you want done. I'm one person. Help would be nice *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

Second, you want incentives too? You don't understand that this come from MY pocket (thanks to woods I caught a little break). Again it comes down to help. Last year I asked for donations from the whs team all I got was $10 from one person leaving me the rest of the tab. Prizes last year ran almost $1000. Again, thanks to woodsman the amount was cut. We aren't doing jerseys as prizes this year because of an incident last year. So far I haven't even though about the prize list. Currently I need to know how much interest there is in having a tourney.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-13, 18:12 »

This is the first I heard that you had to pay for prizes out of pocket yourself, and I had no idea the prizes cost that much.  I was unable to help financially last year, or I would have, and by "unable" I mean I had $0.00 available.  I'm not exagurrating or poor-mouthing either, I've helped people out when they were down before.  I just flat out didn't have it.  This year is different.  I may be able to contribute some this year, but I have to plan for it as my funds are still extremely limited.  Maybe if we had some goal posted as to how much is needed that we can update along the way it would help?

The other concern is how much we're doling out for prizes.  $1,000 is damned steep, but if the goal for prizes is $1,000, then 10 people contributing $100 each can meet this goal, or 20 people contributing $50 each could do the same.  If, on the other hand, our projected cost for the tourney is closer to $600, then 10 people could contribute $60, or if even 3 people could contribute $100, then 7 more could contribute as little as $45.  If we have 50 people compete, and we have a grand prize that's worth $300, and two second prizes worth no more than $100 each, then that leaves another $100 for goodies like snacks or drinks, which comes out to $2.00 a person.

I'd say the best thing to do is raise the funds first, then divide the prize pool based on that, and then if we can have money left for incentives use what's left for that.  Like I said, I'll contribute what I can, but I need to know what, and to whom, and when it's needed by.  If you make a post along those lines I'll pin it for you.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-13, 18:13 by Phoenix » Logged

CrioKnight

Ogre

« Reply #17 on: 2005-05-13, 18:54 »

I will help as much as I can as well. My love for Generations Arena knows no bounds.
LOL.
w00t!

How about giving us a paypal account to start dropping money into. Maybe a paypal button on the site for donations?
I dunno.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-13, 18:56 by CrioKnight » Logged
jess

Archvile

« Reply #18 on: 2005-05-13, 19:32 »

There was one, but I had to close it because of those damn pay pal fraud email thingies. I'll set it up again.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2005-05-14, 00:08 »

Ahh yes, Paypal - a service I refuse to use under any circumstances.  Any other way I can pony up?  Personal check or money order via a trusted friend of mine?  If so just PM or email me the info.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-14, 00:09 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: