2024-04-27, 15:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Humiliation? Frustration? A discussion. ((as split from the 99fdemos thread))  (Read 23953 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #40 on: 2005-05-18, 14:57 »

I agree with Tab.

But sometimes you just don't know how the other player stands for weapons, health etc. You shot first before the other guy does. Sorry if I shot anyone wrong.

(Thinking back - I shot tab once with the sigle slippy shotgun and he died. If I hadn't, he would have killed me easy) Or as Arnold Rimmer said 'I'd shoot him on the job if I had to.' Not Tab mind, hes been really good to me since I got broadband and discovered Gen at the same time.

Games: we call it 'Zugzwag' over here. Is the Dutch?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #41 on: 2005-05-18, 15:40 »

Hey Tabs, when I started using my tactics last night, my game improved quite significantly. The last 2 games I played I was in the top 5 in terms of frags. I'm usually at the bottom. I think if I reveal my stategies, I may be called cheap. They may be cheap, but they are effective.

I did feel sorry for that one guy that got his rear end rearranged time and time again. And many people were using said tactics on him that were just cold. He had 1 or 2 kill out of a whole game. Someone could have taught him something instead of gaining a kill from him. Even I was a bit light on him.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-18, 15:46 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #42 on: 2005-05-18, 15:56 »

Hey, I went easy on the fella. Couldn't simply stop shooting at him without making it look odd, but I didn't frag him hard or often either. Didn't notice any 'cheap tactics', so I guess they weren't? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2005-05-18, 16:04 »

Quote from: Tabun
It's like chasing a player who wields  nothing but a blaster down relentlessly, going quad when you're tanked, picking on the weakest player in a crowded room from a safe distance
Now that sort of thing ticks me off.  I've had people chase me from spawn like that before, all the way across the freaking map.  I took every opportunity the rest of the game to frag the SOB as a result.  I go out of my way to give newspawns a chance to run and get a weapon.  If they turn and shoot at me, yeah, I'll frag them on the spot and tell them if they had gone the other direction I'd have left them alone, but relentless spawn-chasing peeves me.  Going Quad while tanked... well I see nothing wrong with that, again, just part of the game to me, and I expect others to do the same thing.  In a normal match I'll run the Invuln as opposed to the Quad if I can, or I'll match powerups with the other guy, but I try not to "whore" powerups at this point.  I will try to deny someone else the powerup if they're trying to whore it themself, and I do like to get a "holy shit" style kill on someone who's blindly headed toward a powerup and is not paying attention to what's going on around them.  In a busy match I might even Quad-Invuln, but usually I just go around and grab health and armor when I do that and avoid the big fights.  My normal Quad behavior is to charge in guns blazing and pick a fight with whoever's got the biggest gun, or try to score a few "excellents" by charging into crowded rooms.  I just tend to go nuts sometimes, call it bloodlust from my predatory nature if you will.  If nobody's grabbing the quad at all I'll "remind" people that it's on the level by chasing them around with a quadded blaster. Slipgate - Wink

In regards to the Simply Dead reference... If I'm pasting someone all over the map, yeah, I'll give them a chance, but I tend to lay off the railgun anyway when that happens, or I'll just handicap myself.  I'm merely referring to normal play with the usual players on the US server.  Anyone who is new to the mod I'll give every break I can and help them out.  Usually if I see someone on the server I've never seen before I'll sit spec and volunteer to answer questions if I can.  Maybe we just don't get as many green players on the US server?
« Last Edit: 2005-05-18, 16:06 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2005-05-18, 16:30 »

I always forget about the handicap. I played some 1on1 with Crio the other night and creamed him. I would have been more fun if I'd handicapped.

So please remind me in the future.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2005-05-18, 16:37 »

It must be noted here that I've seen some US games where there were about 4 people in the lead with minor frag differences and the fragcount between top and bottom scorer was around 10-20 frags. If the game stays that way even when you're using Quad and/or Invul, hey, no problem.
What I know is that if I'm 30 frags ahead of player two in the list, and there's someone running around scoring 1-4 frags in 15 minutes, I stay the hell away from any powerup, unless (like you do) I feel like running around with a blaster or gauntlet and doing fun stuff for kicks.

I don't mind bloody chaos, but I do mind controlled and unrelenting slaughter, when it comes to using the tactics I mentioned. Some people will not let go of Quad even when they're ahead 10-0 in a 1on1 after 5 minutes of play. They'll keep using quaded dualgats. That to me sounds a whole lot different than grabbing Quad in a 20 player FFA when everyone's having a good time regardless of what happens :]

I have keyboard-binds to set my handicap: I made some aliases to both adjust my nick to [Tab60] and set my handicap to 60 at the same time, etc. Works like a charm and makes it easier to both set and remember the handicap :]
« Last Edit: 2005-05-18, 16:38 by Tabun » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2005-05-18, 16:45 »

Mind posting those aliases?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #47 on: 2005-05-18, 17:16 »

Sure thing:

Code:
seta n_normal     "name [^2Tabun^7];handicap 100"
seta n_90  "name [^2Tab90^7];handicap 90"
seta n_80  "name [^2Tab80^7];handicap 80"
seta n_75  "name [^2Tab75^7];handicap 75"
seta n_70  "name [^2Tab70^7];handicap 70"
seta n_60  "name [^2Tab60^7];handicap 60"
seta n_50  "name [^2Tab50^7];handicap 50"
seta n_40  "name [^2Tab40^7];handicap 40"

bind F3  "vstr n_normal"
bind F9  "vstr n_60"
bind F10  "vstr n_70"
bind F11  "vstr n_80"

That's what I have in my gen_autoexec.cfg (which I link to at launch via a desktop shortcut).

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2005-05-18, 20:04 »

You can also do a rotating bind if you only want to use one key to cycle through your handicaps.  For example:

Code:
seta n_normal     "name [^2Tabun^7]; handicap 100; bind F11 vstr n_75"
seta n_75  "name [^2Tab75^7]; handicap 75; bind F11 vstr n_50"
seta n_50  "name [^2Tab50^7]; handicap 50; bind F11 vstr n_normal"
bind F11  "vstr n_75"

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #49 on: 2005-05-18, 20:07 »

Interesting Tab material.  Slipgate - Ninja
I never seen someone use handicaps until now.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #50 on: 2005-05-18, 20:45 »

I prefer my own method, since that doesn't spam nick changes ;]

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #51 on: 2005-05-18, 23:58 »

very useful

tho i would never consider handicapping myself, as I aint that good

but still if it rocks your boat, hey go with it
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #52 on: 2005-05-19, 14:58 »

Here's another way to easily 'handicap' yourself:

scrap metal II demo

Ofcourse it doesn't work if you allow yourself to grab the items when you're in need of health/armor (I actually automatically grabbed the RA once, about 4 minutes in :/), but as long as you force yourself to give up the MH/RA in general, you're already making the game more tense and dynamic for everyone.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-19, 17:50 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #53 on: 2005-05-19, 16:21 »

Tab:  I hear you, I just wanted to show people how to make a rotating bind script incase they didn't know how.  Thumbs up!

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #54 on: 2005-05-20, 09:05 »

I must admit that I am something of a power-up whore, but I honestly have no clue when any power-up spawns in any map.  I've just played some maps so much that I typically get the timing right.  My general strategy is this... "Deny the stronger players the means to re-strengthen themselves.  Avoid conflict until strong enough or forced into it."  That aside, I think my power-up whoring mixes things up more than it breaks them, because I'm very prone to death and dropping whatever power-up I have. Slipgate - Wink  I also have no idea where I am in most maps.  I kind of go wherever I fancy which also causes me to not encounter anyone until after the power-up runs out.

I love using melee weapons as well, not because I enjoy getting humilation awards, but because I love the challenge of it.  I don't go strictly melee all that often either.  Overwhelming Hostility is the only map where I do such on a regular basis, because I love the gauntlet, and I make excellent use of it there.

Anywho, if ever you think I'm doing something that's degrading the quality of a game, just let me know, and I'll do my best to deter/watch for the behavior, or if it's something I disagree with, I'll try my best to meet some kind of happy medium.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-20, 09:07 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #55 on: 2005-05-20, 13:37 »

How about a map, (or an adjusted map) with only the 'minor' weapons in it? for example, stormatourium with nothing more powerful than miniguns? it would help training on the 'lesser' weapons.

Please don't shoot me, just a thought..... Slipgate - Smile
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #56 on: 2005-05-20, 14:29 »

I Reckon that's a cool idea

no Rocket Launchers
no BFG's
No Railguns

you'de still have the earth duel gats prob tho

but other than that i reckon it's a wicked idea
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #57 on: 2005-05-20, 15:45 »

I'm in the process of making a map and I am debating on the Rocket Laucher. I'm thinking about just replacing the Rocket Launcher with the Grenade Laucher.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #58 on: 2005-05-20, 15:50 »

Remember that placing a grenadelauncher means giving two classes a rocketlauncher, and denying it to three other classes.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #59 on: 2005-05-20, 16:47 »

hmmm, you might be best with just having

the Gauntlet, the machine gun, and the shotgun then
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: