2024-03-29, 00:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Rant Time (Destroying computers)  (Read 13648 times)
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« on: 2003-06-18, 00:46 »

This has been an issue popping up more and more often lately, thoughts and rants, please post here.

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/168/wash/P...ses_dest:.shtml
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-18, 01:07 »

Bullshit, pure, 100%, Grade A, bullshit.

My personal support of warez and free distribution aside, I would like to know how they figure out if someone is downloading illegally or not. Is it not legal to download such things if you already own it? In either case, this will not, I repeat, will not stop people from downloading illegal software and such, it'll just force them to do it differently (I can go buy a shitty little computer for $50 to download programs with, then allow it to be destroyed. It'd certainly be worth it if I had gained Photoshop or something before it was destroyed... $50<$700). Piracy will always exist, no matter what, deal with it.

EDIT: Hmmm, that wasn?t as poetic and thoughtful as it should have been? Crappy posts, another side affect of insomnia  :blink:
« Last Edit: 2003-06-18, 01:10 by dev/null » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-18, 01:15 »

Fear  is the biggest weapon any authority has to fight some forms of criminality - sounds like they've found a new way to get the fear into the masses again.

"pot makes you infertile and impotent, blocks your creativity and destroys brain cells!"

"you get hairy palms from masturbating!"

"anything you say can and will be used in the court of  law"

and the list goes on and on ;]
« Last Edit: 2003-06-18, 01:15 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-18, 01:44 »

Well I've seen the end results of pot, and how it can destroy brain cells AND lives, Tab.  I do however see this computer situation as yet another power grab.  Sure, start out with crimes, then what, politically objectionable content?  What gives the government a right to willfully and knowningly destroy personal property without due process?  Sounds like presumption of guilt to me.  This is exactly the kind of things the Bill of Rights was passed to protect against.  This is also why I say NO politician is to be trusted.  Democrats want to take your guns, and your games (Lieberman, anyone?) and Republicans are advocating blowing up your PC if you download something they think you shouldn't.  I say, as I've said before, the whole lot of them are worthless.  What's next, hmm?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-18, 03:34 »

Why am I not surprised?

I heard somewhere that some Congressional Republicans tried to do some thing that could have resulted in the banning of open-source software, i.e. Linux, so that commercial software, i.e. Micro$oft, would reign supreme. Thankfully, the bill died.

UPDATE: I just found out that the guy tring to spearhead this initiative is the SAME PERSON (Hatch) that tried to axe open-source software a while ago. Banging Head against Wall
« Last Edit: 2003-06-18, 18:47 by Assamite » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-06-18, 07:41 »

I wish I could say the same for SCO's lawsuit. Slipgate - Sad

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-06-18, 10:50 »

Oh yes, pot does kill brain cells and some morons die, sure. But have you never been amazed at the amount of bullshit they scraped together to get ppl to fear marihuana? I mean seriously - alcohol has destroyed more lives, cars and integrity than joints ever have :]
But since I'm Dutch, and I've noticed that a great lot of the wirheaders hate drugs - I shan't rant about it here (more, that is).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2003-06-19, 00:31 »

I found this on Xoverboard.

Apparently, Senator Hatch has his own batch of copywrited music:

Click and you shall see...

Looks like his stuff isn't going to wind up on the internet filesharing networks anytime soon... but if it already is...  Oh My F'ing Gawd
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-06-19, 03:48 »

Tab, alcohol to me is the most dangerous drug in existence.  For one, it is legal just about everywhere.  Second, it is also more socially acceptible than other "hard" drugs.  That makes the deception double.  It is old warrior wisdom that it is better to have honest enemies than false friends, and alcohol is just that.  How many times have you heard this?

"But I know my limit"
"Oh, I'm responsible"
"I only drink socially"
"Everyone else was doing it, I didn't want to be an outsider"
"It doesn't hurt anyone"
"I only had a few blocks to go"
"I only had a few beers"

I've heard it all, and yet how many have died because somebody thought they "knew their limit"?  I've had very close personal friends, at least as close a friend I can have for a human, nearly killed by blatant irresponsibility with this chemical.  If it wasn't dangerous then people wouldn't die from misuse of it, now would they?  I do say misuse, because I do understand not everybody is that foolish with it, however those who love it greatly and are most defensive toward its use and the freedom to do so are most often the most serious offenders as well.  People lust after this drug, and it is just that - a drug.   If it were only themselves that met with foolish ends I would not mind so much, but all too often it is someone else of whom life or limb is lost, while the one responsible escapes with few or no injuries and very little in the way of punishment.  "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." - Proverbs 20:1.

Well, back on topic I suppose, but I needed to get that out.  I hate drunks.  :angry:

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-06-19, 13:25 »

you hate oobey ??
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #10 on: 2003-06-19, 23:05 »

Lets try to stay on topic in this thread please, to many other threads have been killed by off topicness.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-06-20, 00:24 »

Back on topic, this is from Iron Maiden's web page, where fans wrote in with questions:

Hiya Rod, How do the band, and you as their manager, feel about the Napster thing ... and also the MP3 explosion on the net ... we've all heard about what that inferior 'rock' band M*&!*^%$'A had to say ... but like everything they do it just doesn't make sense!! Slipgate - Smile Many Thanks Again ... cya in Glasgow (any chance to meet the band??) Slipgate - Smile UP THE IRONS !!!
Alan
Glasgow, UK

Can be a pain in the ass but again it can spread good new music. However a fair system needs to be worked out as bands need to live. Briefly this is it - the long form is too long for here

Rod is the manager for Maiden.  I pretty much agree with what he says there, and it just goes to show that not EVERY artist is pitching a fit over it.  Nice to know some bands are actually busy  *cough* MAKING MUSIC.  What galls me concerning the RIAA and the record companies cracking down on MP3 trading is the record companies screw the bands at every turn.  All they care about is their money.  Sure, it's their money after all, but they need to change their strategy and find ways to adapt to the change in technology - not bring in the government to start beating people down.  Let's face it, once some beaurocracy gets its grubby tentacles into the net and starts a regulatory/policing scheme there will be no going back from it.  That's bad all around.[/color]

Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #12 on: 2003-06-20, 00:55 »

http://wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59305,00.html

Hahaha owned!
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2003-06-23, 15:37 »

This man needs to be taken out and horse whipped.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2003-06-23, 20:16 »

you guys,
you also have to see it that way.
 from themoment that you download , come copie or something you know your on the wrong track .
so just dont do it.
if you do it I think the goverment is right to take control over something.

if you drive trough red with your car . you know your making a mistake.
so if they tae your car off then your the one responsible for it .
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #15 on: 2003-06-23, 21:18 »

lol, i dont have to see it that way, not when im being ripped off

if you do it I think the goverment is right to take control over something.

thats assuming guilt before having evidence...
« Last Edit: 2003-06-23, 21:23 by Lilazzkicker » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-06-24, 05:45 »

Indeed.  It also means the mechanism for intrusion to do the damage must be created.  What happens when the WRONG people get ahold of that, inside and outside such governments?  Hackers could then use such tools to destroy computers.  Government agents could shut down people who are "objectionable" to such agencies.  Kiss "freedom of speech" and privacy online goodbye!  Just how would you protect against such a tool after it was implemented?  Oh yes, in order to use it the government would have to mandate the following:

1)  All computers contain a unique user ID number.
2)  All operating systems and network software will have to have a backdoor written in so the government can access the system
3)  All systems will be subject to random and/or constant monitoring by the government to ensure compilance with copyright laws.

Do you really want that sorf of thing Games?  Think about it, they would HAVE to be able to sneak into and monitor your system in order for such a thing to work.  Filesharing by nature opens up a specific folder for other people to snoop on, but why stop there?  And if somebody hacks into and takes over your computer YOU will still be liable for "failure to properly secure your system".  With Microsoft that's impossible.  We all know how competent they are when it comes to security.  Since it would also be impossible to know who was actually using the computer at the time (unless you want per-operation biometric scanning where you have to wear a retinal interface the entire time you're at the keyboard) the registrant of the system would be liable for any/all crimes, regardless of who was using it at the time.  Theft hasn't even entered the equation yet, nor has wireless network hacking.

This is the kind of Big Brother nightmare scenario that the internet does NOT need.  Ever.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2003-06-24, 14:57 »

yeah but when they take your car you pay a fine and get it back. they dont blow it up for running a red light.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-06-28, 06:21 »

Ever see "Judge Dredd"?

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2003-06-28, 06:23 »

:lol: LMAO Woodsman, very true =]

In my humble opinion, here's what I think the core reasons for low CD sales are:

1) Most of the recent artists/bands putting out music these days suck.
2) $16.99 is WAY too much to pay for any single music CD (especially when the CD nowadays seems to contain 1 or 2 singles, and 8-12 tracks fo crap)

Thankfully, after Napster hit public knowledge,

3) People have an option to download a group's music, either to keep it or to use it as a sampling method to see if their $17.97 (including tax) would be going towards a good group.

In summary, I think people for the most part were very dissatisfied with CD sale prices. Napster and later file-swapping programs allowed millions of people to vent their frustration. One word describes this situation very well:

Backlash.

That's right! In order to fix this problem for a majority of people, DROP THE CD SALES PRICES TO SOMETHING REASONABLE! A statistic once shown that when Napster became popular, CD sales on college campuses dropped around 900%. There's a reason for that! To many college students, it was like the bargain of the year! You could go see 3 movies, eat 3 dinners, buy a matching outfit or many other things from the $15 you just saved!

What do I want to see? Music CD prices down to about $5-7. If this happened, many people would start buying up CDs again, including myself.

That's my opinion =D  :hat:
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: