2024-03-29, 06:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52
  Print  
Author Topic: it's... the Off-Topic Topic (it just won't die!)  (Read 400866 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #980 on: 2014-09-07, 19:05 »

His username was dev/null.  He engaged in a pattern of behavior that became increasingly belligerent toward other users over time, until he finally outright admitted that he thought nobody was "worthy" of knowing what he really thinks and feels... even though he had been pretty much expressing his true feelings the whole time.  Since he felt nobody here was "worthy" of him, and since his only interest in the forum was to use it as an anti-religious soapbox - even to the point of accusing me of using it as my own personal pro-religion blog, despite the fact that I only spoke in response to his attacks and have never used the forum for that purpose - we felt his continuing presence was unneeded.  Sadly, even after that, he tried re-registering under several different usernames, even going through an anonymizing proxy, and posting anti-religious rants, but it was fairly easy to figure out who was under the account and just block access.  Eventually he got tired of trying and (hopefully) found something meaningful to do with his life.

I think what he failed to grasp is that this is, has been, and will be primarily a site devoted to video games and mods.  It's not anyone's personal blog nor is it a pulpit.  If someone wants to talk about something, pretty much anything goes so long as everyone respects each other.  Differences of opinion are going to happen, and certain topics will be controversial and elicit strong feelings.  We have a subforum devoted to that kind of thing, but even then, it's expected that respect will be present.  Intolerance - and I mean true intolerance, not the definition the news media and Politically Correct thought police use - is a real problem and is something we won't put up with in the board.  I've seen plenty of it on other message boards and it tends to follow the same pattern every time.  It's fine to say you believe something is right or wrong, or that someone is right or wrong about an issue, philosophy, or whatever.  It's great to discuss things, and if something doesn't seem appropriate to discuss on an open forum, there's the PM system for any user to discuss anything they want with another user - again, so long as it's not used for harassment.

What we don't want is to have what starts as a discussion degrade into personal attacks, hateful arguing, intimidation, etc.  For example, if Joe User belongs to the Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and Jane User is a devout follower of Cthulhu, and Joe says he doesn't believe in Cthulhu, that's one thing.  If Jane says the Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is nothing but a bunch of meatball-eating fork salesmen in return, that's crossing the line.  If, however, the Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's Sacred Cookbook states "Thou shalt eat meatballs and sell forks and do nothing else", then Jane is technically correct, but is being disrespectful in how she's speaking to Joe.  It is OK for Jane to state that she doesn't like the teachings of the Sacred Cookbook and disagree with Joe, and move on from there.

That last point is the most important one - that people move on past their differences and respect each other.  If they can't, we'll step in and break it up.  If it continues, then we'll have to take necessary steps to keep things civil.  We don't want animosity breeding on a forum that's devoted to having fun playing a video game mod.  Normally we don't have problems like this, and the only things we have to ban are spam bots and the occasional script kiddie that's tried to hijack the site.  We'd like to keep it that way.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
FistMarine

« Reply #981 on: 2014-09-08, 05:40 »

OK, thanks for telling. Anyway I laughed at second third paragraph. Slipgate - Wink

EDIT: Oops, I meant third one about Spaghetti and Meatballs. Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #982 on: 2014-09-08, 16:47 »

Meatballs just sound so delicious, don't they?  Slipgate - Tongue

MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #983 on: 2014-09-08, 18:16 »

What's the big difference between the Cult of Cthulhu and the Flying Spaghetti Monster religion? They both worship weird gods with tentacles Slipgate - Tongue

Oooh look -- a signature!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #984 on: 2014-09-09, 00:00 »

Cthulhu will eat you, while spaghetti is meant to be eaten, so I think that's the primary difference.

FistMarine

« Reply #985 on: 2014-09-09, 12:40 »

In Soviet Russia food eats you! Slipgate - Laugh
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #986 on: 2014-09-10, 15:43 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv5jLsLoYcE

lest we forget!
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #987 on: 2014-09-10, 16:31 »

WOODS! *kills the man with rum*

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #988 on: 2014-09-10, 21:37 »

Let's not forget the Soviet National Anthem!  Slipgate - Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuc5qxSYjUs

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #989 on: 2015-03-26, 07:09 »

Im back..and this topic just can't die!!
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #990 on: 2015-03-26, 17:56 »

This is the topic that never ends
Yes, it goes on and on my friend
Some people started posting not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting here forever just because...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #991 on: 2015-03-26, 18:23 »

Boot and ReBoOt were sitting on a fence.  Boot went on someone's foot and they walked away with him, and ReBoOt ate some Twinkies!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #992 on: 2015-08-22, 21:00 »

Slipgate - WTF

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #993 on: 2015-09-30, 06:21 »

Doom - Love
« Last Edit: 2015-09-30, 06:57 by Phoenix » Logged

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #994 on: 2015-09-30, 09:02 »

So wait... what?
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #995 on: 2015-12-27, 22:01 »

I wanted to play some Doom, but it appears Windows 95 is no longer popular with the younguns. I think I missed something.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #996 on: 2015-12-28, 01:07 »

Indeed.  Everyone's using 7, 8, or (wtf happened to 9?) 10.  You'd think that 95 would be better, being a higher revision and all!

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #997 on: 2015-12-29, 15:11 »

What I've always wondered, since they released Windows 2000, is where the other 1994 versions are.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #998 on: 2015-12-29, 22:04 »

Maybe that's what the NT stood for... "not telling." Doom - Huh?

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #999 on: 2016-01-05, 09:42 »

How do you install Windows 10 on a Commodore 64? I've been trying all night...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52
  Print  

Jump to: