2017-10-18, 13:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51]
  Print  
Author Topic: it's... the Off-Topic Topic (it just won't die!)  (Read 141423 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1000 on: 2016-01-05, 18:04 »

Why would you try to ruin a perfectly good computer like that?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1001 on: 2016-01-06, 02:42 »

This is your Quake.

This is your Quake on drugs.

Any questions?

Kajet

Quad God

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #1002 on: 2016-01-06, 07:52 »

Reinstalled UT04 and I gotta say... I wish things didn't disappear from the net, like when Polycount was awesome for Q3 models.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1003 on: 2016-01-06, 20:38 »

Yeah, and I even emailed Polycount asking about the old Q3 model archive.  I was met with silence.  No replies, no answers, just... nothing.  If they lost them due to a server crash or something I'd understand but they never once said what happened to them, and a lot of those models weren't available anywhere else.  I will never forgive them for that.  Sipgate - Evil

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #1004 on: 2016-01-12, 19:32 »

That's no biggie to me

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 2016-01-12, 19:41 by leilei » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1005 on: 2016-01-13, 01:55 »

Ahh, I just found it!  Thank you very much!   Slipgate - Love Slipgate - Love Slipgate - Love

You wouldn't happen to know if the old Quake 2 player models survived, would you?

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #1006 on: 2016-03-09, 04:40 »

somewhat.  I think I have about 330 of them.

There's an overwhelming amount of custom skins though and getting those individually through the fileplanet line would've been more troublesome on short notice then.

What seems totally wiped out though is ......The Wadfather Slipgate - Sad  It's been hosted at many different places and the only survivng part seems to be skyboxes from one of its earliest incarnations!

It's still "up" in useless, broken php form.  Don't know if mr. gibs could be contacted about it or if he saved anything however.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-09, 04:49 by leilei » Logged

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #1007 on: 2016-04-17, 22:24 »

this place has a repack of a bunch but not everything.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1008 on: 2016-04-18, 20:42 »

Good enough!  Nice find!  Slipgate - Love

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #1009 on: 2016-05-31, 22:25 »

there's something satisfying about getting something to work in Windows 95 

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1010 on: 2016-06-01, 18:22 »

I used to think it was satisfying just to get Windows 95 to work.  Slipgate - Tongue

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #1011 on: 2016-06-12, 04:21 »

LOL zing. I should mention installing Winsock 2 successfully is so much of a pain I just gave up and dropped the two required dlls from it in the system folder to test this.  Win98+ shouldn't experience this pain

in speaking of experiencing pain I tried to elaborate on the proto-rtcw particle system left in cgame, couldn't make bouncing sparks, so i ripped that out and stuck some Quake code in its place. and made bouncing stretchy sparks

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1012 on: 2016-06-12, 15:41 »

Oh yeah, that code is VERY ugly.  For certain effects I rewrote it as a stripped down "simple" particle system.  I found out that cgame is VERY inefficient on complex math, so even simplified cgame particles was dropping an Opteron 2.2GHz system down to 2 FPS with a full-length Q2 railgun spiral on screen.  Once I got access to the engine source I hacked in a Q2-style particle system for Gen.  I was able to move almost everything engine-side and there's no FPS hit even with 32000 particles on screen.  I still use the cgame particles for the new Q3 BFG particles and some of Earth's effects since they require more complex shaders instead of just being point-style particles.

Only thing I haven't been able to do is use actual GL particles - I had to use a hacked-in entity and sprite shader.  For some reason the GL particles won't render, and OpenGL programming is very confusing to me.  It works and is efficient, which is all I care about.  If you ever want a copy of the engine stuff I've done it's all under GPL so I have no problem sharing.

And we need to get back off-topic!  This is turning into a regular thread!  Oh noes!
  Slipgate - WTF

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #1013 on: 2016-06-13, 00:03 »

I thought about having particles in the client/ part using Q3MME engine's scripted particle system code (which is super elaborate and familiar to the fragmovie scene), but never ever got that to compile properly, so I fell back to sporadically hacking up cgame stuff  Slipgate - Sad

Would be handy too because my code for managing different schemes of particle effects are a mess.  I have a single cvar controlling what would be used, with values by year of they're riffing off (set to 1996 you'd get the blocky quake particle effects, 1999 would get psx/dc/HL-ish effects, 2000 for earlygen ps2 fx etc)
« Last Edit: 2016-06-13, 00:10 by leilei » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1014 on: 2017-06-17, 07:02 »

Is it wrong for me to find this unintentionally hysterical?  Doom - Huh?

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #1015 on: 2017-07-28, 08:50 »

Don't want to dedicate a thread to this so I'll post here.

I was a wee little boy when I signed up on these forums 6 years ago. I had just discovered Generations Arena, and I thought it was the greatest idea ever for a mod. I had a lot to learn on here and other retro gaming forums. I learned how to download mods, maps, program, and most importantly create a fondness for old school FPS, a bygone genre supplanted by an unworthy successor (modern mainstream FPS).

Six years later exactly I drove out of town to sign up for classes in the college I will be going to in a few weeks. The end of childhood is a bittersweet experience, as you're old enough to understand what's happening. I'll join most of you in the adult world soon. I'm honestly excited for what lies ahead.

Generations Arena helped shape part of my childhood, and Phoenix is still the best admin I've ever seen in a forum. I might not be the happiest person or the most fortunate, but I cherish the experiences I've had with gaming. I grunt in my head like bitterman when I jump, I try to bunnyhop in every game out of habit, and I'll wait for the release of Generations 1.0.

Our memories and lives are temporary, but when we're pitted against each other to the death, the Arena becomes eternal. Collective experience brought me to where I am. Thanks for Generations, and much more. A little goes a long way in a kid's life.

-Jules (otherwise known as J3E125)
« Last Edit: 2017-07-28, 08:52 by J3E125 » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1016 on: 2017-07-28, 14:02 »

I really don't know what to say.  I never expected this to have such a large impact on anyone.  If it's brought you someone some joy then it's been worth the effort, at least for me.  I thank you for the kind words, and don't worry, the journey is far from over.  The best is yet to come.   Doom - Thumbs Up!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51]
  Print  

Jump to: