2024-04-26, 07:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 2 for Doom3 (Doom3 Mod)  (Read 13450 times)
Arnie

Shambler

« on: 2005-08-10, 22:54 »

Have a Look at this mod for Doom3 http://www.planetquake.com/meanarena/quake...ke2_lostmarine/

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-11, 01:01 »

Well, that gets a big thumbs down from me:  

Idiot  Banging Head against Wall

Upon installing it to my proper Doom 3 dir, the installer not only set the wrong shortcut location for the desktop icon, but it also destroyed my Doom 3 install. write installers that work properly when you install stuff to alternative locations developers.

Grmbl.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-11, 02:57 »

Quote from: Tabun
Upon installing it to my proper Doom 3 dir, the installer not only set the wrong shortcut location for the desktop icon, but it also destroyed my Doom 3 install.
Ouch.  I'm glad I haven't installed it yet.  My copy of DOOM 3 is in F: Games Action. heh (Odd, I never realized that you can't  type slashes.)  That's a shame too because Kiltron does put out some great stuff when he actually puts out stuff.  I guess I'll just install it to the default directory and then move the stuff around.

Update

Well I know it's just a test release, but there are some problems with the mod so far in my mind.

I know my craptacular framerate makes the game harder than what it actually is, but it shouldn't take me five tries or so just to get past three grunts on the easiest difficulty level unless the difficulty levels haven't actually been implemented yet.  Either the blaster needs to do more damage, fire faster, or the enemy needs to do less.

My minor gripe is about animation quality.  The character models themselves are not particularly bad, but the animation seems rather stiff.  I know they're mechanical and whatnot, but they had way more life to them in Q2.  I'm sure the animation quality will probably change in future releases though.

Now for the positive...

The level design is fantastic.  It stays true to Quake 2's style, yet it's not just Quake 2's geometry with better textures.  I also really like how things have been mixed up a bit.  For instance, the door at the very beginning malfunctions causing you to back-track and go one of the other two ways.  More bits and pieces of the level collapse than before.  I think enemy placement is slightly different as well.

The music is also quite appropriate.  It's not identical to Sonic Mayhem's music, but the guitarrage is very reminiscent of them, and the music is enjoyable but not distracting.

I'm looking forward to seeing future releases, and if anyone spots Kiltron at Quakecon, be sure to give his team and him my thanks. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-08-13, 05:12 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-11, 14:50 »

Bummer, I had been watching that one for quite some time. And waiting patiently for weeks. Hopefully they'll staighten it out soon. Slipgate - Sad  I already went through hell with a reinstall of D3 but it was my own fault, not from a MOD. Never manually delete ROE! Heh, it messes the whole install up... Still not sure how it got in the recycling bin in the first place. Slipgate - Distraught

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-12, 19:34 »

I made an ISO image and Installed it from CD, No Probs, Maybe I was Lucky!!.
Anyway I think the mod is very good considering it`s a beta.
 You can get out of the secret room and it`s not thru the lasers, I wont spoil it for anyone who`s trying to figure it out for themselves but it is possible.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-13, 03:46 »

alpha actually. :]

Emperor Bohe

« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-14, 08:10 »

LMAO I wish i could run Doom 3
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-14, 09:33 »

anyone with a 900 mhz processor, 512 RAM, and a decent 64mb video card, can run Doom 3 at low quality.

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-14, 11:00 »

So i con't not enough ram, and it is hard to buy that old type or ram. Slipgate - Sad
« Last Edit: 2005-08-14, 11:01 by Kingu » Logged
Emperor Bohe

« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-15, 05:13 »

I only have 384 megs so I can't run it i guess Slipgate - Sad
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #10 on: 2005-08-15, 05:36 »

You can get a 256 stick for cheap.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-15, 09:54 »

You sure it will run that slow with 384MB of RAM? 'Cause I was thinking in buying it... But then again that still won't stop me from buying it.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-15, 15:09 »

You can usually get 1 GB of Corsair Value Select PC3200 DDR for around $90 US.  That's what I paid for mine.  Sure, it's not "Extreme Overclock it out the Wazoo", but Corsair's value line is usually as good if not better than a lot of other companies' higher end lines.  Besides that, the latency timings on the super-expensive RAM just don't justify the cost.  From what I've seen of RAM, there's very little difference in practical system performance between CAS 2.0 and CAS 2.5 latency.  Sure you'll see some higher synthetic benchmarks, but overall it's just not that much of a speed gain - unless you're into seriously overclocking systems just to push them to their limit, which is what the expensive stuff is geared for is overclock headroom.  I'd rather throw the extra $200 saved off RAM into something like a CPU, mainboard, or video card myself.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-15, 16:13 »

There is a place down here where they have an annual sale. You can get a gig stick for $60.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #14 on: 2005-08-15, 18:51 »

Unfortunatly, that option isn't available for me, mostly because my motherboard is limited to 2GB of RAM, so with 1GB i'd be pushing over the capacities of my motherboard. Besides, it's not that easy to find SDRAM modules nowadays. Oh yeah that and because i'm a bit too young to earn my own salary Slipgate - Smile . Besides the RAM, I have PC for DooM III.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-15, 18:52 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-08-15, 19:22 »

SDRAM?!?  Yikes!  Slipgate - WTF

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #16 on: 2005-08-15, 20:04 »

Slipgate - Sad geee...thanks for reminding me about my craptacular RAM modules.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #17 on: 2005-08-15, 20:17 »

If you shop around you can find a decent motherboard for between $80-$160. Mine costed about $160, and It can handle three 2gb DDR sticks. Unfortunatly one of those sticks costs about $300.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #18 on: 2005-08-15, 22:35 »

Maybye next year my dad will buy me a new computer. Besides, my computer is good enough to run Generations Arena, so I'm happy Slipgate - Smile.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2005-08-16, 05:24 »

I've got a 512 mb ram and a 128 mb vid card and still have a bit of trouble running D3. <_<  I run it at 800 x 600 and med quality. Plus a bunch of those advanced options turned off and it doesn't seem to want to get over 27 FPS. God forbid a couple of imps throw fireballs at me. Ouch!! Slipgate - Surprised  Talk about a dive in FPS. Thank God this thing can run Gen at around 120 FPS.

Anyhow, would upgrading my RAM to a Gig help it's performance? Or is it the video card. It's a Radeon x300 128 mb. I forget the CPU and Vid memory speeds.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: