2024-04-19, 10:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of demos? Lack of playing? ((the servers are quite empty))  (Read 15705 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2005-09-25, 06:55 »

Kind of, but did you get the problem fixed?  Should have this line in your autoexec.cfg in your generations folder:

seta ui_menuFiles "ui/menus.txt"

Make sure you're running Gen from a shortcut.  Some (other) mods use a different ui_menuFiles setting, and when run from the mods menu they put that setting in baseq3/q3config.cfg.  This causes Gen to get confused if you run it from the mods menu instead of a shortcut.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2005-09-25, 10:49 »

... being a rational human with control on my own instincts and with a very strong psycological control, I can admit ...

Doesn't sound like hippy talk to me, it sounds like rationalization of behaviour. Allow me to give an example that should indicate what kind of distinctions can (and, imo, must) be made;
1) Mr. A predicts me coming from a certain area, fully loaded, in a 1on1, rails me four times without missing a single shot and takes control of the map.
2) Mr. B runs through the map as Doom, running into me while I have only a machinegun, and starts pounding me with a fully loaded chaingun, leaving no option for escape. Twice.

There's a distinction because in, and restricted to, situation 1), I recognize A's incredible skill in aiming, predicting and strategy - and I praise him for it. In, and restricted to, situation 2) I recognize B's incredible skill in easy fragging, mindless stomping and aggressive, unanswerable barrage.
I have no trouble admitting being subjected to the skills I've described above - the point is that I do not value them equally.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-09-25, 22:43 »

Hmm, this seems to be drifting more into a "preference" area than anything else.  I don't see the problem with "2", so long as it wasn't a blatant attempt to hunt someone down as soon as they spawn every time.  Personally I get more annoyed by someone standing there, watching me, then railing me the instant I get to the weapon spawn than someone picking a chaingun vs machinegun fight.

Kruzader:  I'm splitting your config post over to the bug reports board.
« Last Edit: 2005-09-25, 22:51 by Phoenix » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2005-09-25, 23:26 »

My main problem with 2 is that, when the game's balance is distorted in such a way that mindless fragging is no longer punished, there is no bonus to be had from taking the strategic approach instead of the reckless one (among other things). I guess this is indeed a preference thing - it's always hard to draw the line with this kind of thing -, although I find it hard to believe  there isn't a consensus of wanting 'brainy' to be able at least to keep up with 'brawny'.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2005-09-26, 04:05 »

I hope you don't mean "sneaky" vs the "brute force" approach...  I prefer my targets to attack me directly, where superior battle tactics and firepower decide the fight over people who skulk around potshotting me from behind walls and never show their faces.  I'm not against using cover in a fight, I'm talking about the ones who creep around and look for turned backs and completely avoid direct engagements.  People who do nothing but sneak around are cowards.  A cheap shot in the back is no substitute for skill.

A 1 vs 1... well that's a little different.  In a 1 vs 1 I prefer to hunt my prey down and utterly destroy them, then repeat the process.
 Sipgate - Evil

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2005-09-26, 09:57 »

No, what I mean here is literally the difference between someone using their mind in whatever way possible, and someone just running around like a nut. Sneaky can be part of the former, especially if it's not the kind you describe, but the kind where you suprise people by being somewhere you 'couldn't have been'. More importantly, for me it means prediction, using handgrenades to pop people on ledges or cover your retreat, rocketjumping wisely, etc.
There's an arena to fight in, and you do just that, run around and align your crosshair on whatever's out there. You can train yourself in brute force, speed and to make 180 degree flicks that are spot on within a millisecond. Nobody escapes the pain - but I like it when one is rewarded for doing something beyond and above that, for exploring that virtual world and using it in ways that go beyond 1-2-tactics, and asking for a more cerebral kind of match.

I guess we'll never agree on what's the most enjoyable way to game, and that's fine with me. What we probably will agree on is that neither extreme should be (unevenly) rewarded.
« Last Edit: 2005-09-26, 10:00 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2005-09-26, 17:48 »

Well put, and I agree.  Thumbs up!

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #27 on: 2005-10-04, 01:30 »

Potshots and shooting people in the back is MY tactic. Then again, I suck anyway.. so whatever. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #28 on: 2005-10-05, 21:29 »

Well it's been a long time..... But I'M BACK

havent been on the servers in ages. got too addicted to FF 11

MMORGS will ruin me i swear, but when i go for a game of gen what happens Doom - Huh?

Nobody on.

what has happened, a few months back it was teaming with life and cool long hours of quality fragging

which was a shame, that there's nobody on anymore

still i'll be on saturday, ready to get a royal pasting (as usual Especially my Pho or Tab)

as for tactics, don't have any if i find a railgun i'll snipe, if i get the gats i run madley at the nearest person like a maniac and attempt (attempt being the correct word) to perforate them

and yes the whole noob's or people pretending to be noobs really p***es me off aswell,
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2005-10-05, 21:44 »

I'm not playing currenlty, due to my 22" CRT having died on me. I have another one (for the machine I'm typing on right now), but I cannot be bothered to shift it to and fro every time I want to play, so I'll have to go cold-turkey on Gen a bit, until I have a new monitor. Too bad there aren't any good LCD 1600x1200 screens available yet Slipgate - Sad

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #30 on: 2005-10-06, 20:56 »

I was on the Euro server Saturday 8.00pm cet, I was on my own for around 15 mins then I was joined by Alucard and kingu. Even tho I sucked big time I enjoyed myself.
 So if you fire up Gen and see nobody on Join anyway, that way you might get more people to play.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #31 on: 2005-10-08, 23:19 »

wen't online at 11pm and again nobody

come on guys what's happening
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2005-10-09, 16:24 »

Sorry, I've been busy repairing my nest this weekend.  I've had some emergency work I've had to do, otherwise I'll have water intrusion, which means more serious damage later.  Can't be helped.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #33 on: 2005-10-09, 18:15 »

How does your nest looks like?

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #34 on: 2005-10-09, 20:02 »

well , its made out of stone so that it cant fly on fire when he is in it
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #35 on: 2005-10-09, 20:24 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] How does your nest looks like?
It's basic structure is like any other "nest" you and I live in. Slipgate - Wink

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2005-10-10, 02:34 »

Quote from: Little Washu
It's basic structure is like any other "nest" you and I live in. Slipgate - Wink
It's very rude and presumptuous to not allow someone to speak for himself, especially when the question was not even addressed to you.  I will continue this in a private message so as to not derail the topic further.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #37 on: 2005-10-11, 02:18 »

Oh, okay...  Doom - Huh?
« Last Edit: 2005-10-11, 02:20 by Little Washu » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: