2024-04-16, 23:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Harmless" Drugs? (Follow the Money)  (Read 5985 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-09-27, 05:44 »

Saudi security sources said Sunni insurgents have been smuggling illegal drugs from Iraq to Saudi Arabia to finance insurgency attacks against coalition forces.

The sources said the drugs being smuggling now tend to be cannabis.

The sources said revenues from the smuggling were being shared by Al Qaida operatives in Iraq and Saudi Arabia. They said the money has been used to purchase weapons and finance attacks in both countries.
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/0...0541666667.html

If they're financing it this way in the Middle East, odds are they're doing it elsewhere in the world as well.  Some of you might want to think about this when partaking of your favorite "habit".  You just might be paying for someone's bullets and bombs without knowing it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-09-27, 08:49 »

In that case, also be sure to figure out what IBM and other big computertech. companies have been doing before you spend your money on their stuff... Seriously though, we dutchies prefer 'home grown' ofcourse, and that's exactly what should be the more common 'brand'.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-09-27, 13:00 »

Saudi security sources said Sunni insurgents have been smuggling illegal drugs from Iraq to Saudi Arabia to finance insurgency attacks against coalition forces.well

it was either that or the bakesale
« Last Edit: 2005-09-27, 16:10 by games keeper » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-09-27, 17:16 »

I agree completely, Tab.  There are a lot of companies who funnel money toward questionable "causes", and a lot of people who blindly donate to charities without doing any investigation as to where the funds are actually being spent.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2005-09-27, 17:25 »

I agree with Tab on this. To be honest, this sort of behaviour has funded paramilitary organizations in my neck of the woods (Northern Ireland) for years. The problem where I come from is that sources are limited, thanks to one of many governments in the world who would rather spend bucketloads on patching up, arresting, and prosecuting the drunk and disorderly rather than let us all sit on a nice comfy sofa in front of the Playstation in a hazy bubble, high on a drug with no recorded fatalities.

Yes, I am pro-legalisation. If you want to ban a drug, ban alcohol (and this is coming from a guy who enjoys the odd beer).
« Last Edit: 2005-09-27, 17:29 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2005-09-27, 20:19 »

Well it had to came from somewhere, and since drugs are the most rentable source of illegal money, it was kind of obvious, no?

Scalliano : Are you talking about chemical drugs or natural drugs like leaves? It's like this : chemical drugs were created to help man, not to destroy it, therefore it has to continue illegal it's comsuption without any kind of medical need. But the so called "natural drugs" like cannabis ("drugs" that come from plants), I think it is not wrong to legalize it. After all, cigarret is, in my Point Of View, a drug too, since it comes from a plant, causes death if consumed exageratly (everything in exagerated use causes damage, no matter what kind of damage) and causes addiction.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-09-27, 21:42 »

You know nightshade is natural, so is boiling lava.  So are poison ivy, snake venom, and very high cliffs to fall from.  None of those are good for you.  Regardless, my point wasn't to start a "legalization" discussion, only to point out that somebody may be using some of your money from drug purchases (for those inclined to such things) to fund murder in the name of Allah and you might not know about it.  My personal feelings regarding "recreational" drug use are not in play here, though I am certainly concerned about where the money is going.  Besides, nobody's going to change their mind about it because of anything I say anyway...  Slipgate - Exhausted
« Last Edit: 2005-09-27, 21:42 by Phoenix » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #7 on: 2005-09-28, 01:07 »

In terms of financing terrorism and organized crime, I was referring to all drugs, including bootlegged cigs and alcohol. I could get into a whole debate about why I'm pro-cannabis, but that's for another time. My point was that while this is definately something to be concerned about, it is nothing new and the reason that money gained from the sale of drugs such as cannabis, opium (Afghanistan's premier export, I might add), ecstasy, cocaine et all is able to get into the hands of these individuals is because those drugs are illegal. While I do not advocate the legalisation of opium, ecstasy or coke, what I will say is that if drugs such as weed were sold legally, they could be regulated, dare I say it, taxed and as such authorities would have more control over where the money goes ie to them. I admit it's not an ideal solution, as weary of government as I am, but it could help reduce the financing of terrorism and organized crime through trafficking. Not to mention the fact that I could sit in front of the Playstation with both my bong AND a clear conscience. Slipgate - Ninja

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-09-28, 02:14 »

I will never go for the "well if it's legal then it'll solve the problem" argument.  Cell phones are legal, and so are automobiles, and both are abused every day resulting in a great deal of carnage.  Why?  People are irresponsible.  There are plenty of legitimate companies (on paper) that are front organizations for organized crime and terrorism.  The problem with illegal drugs like ecstasy and opium, et all, is that a demand exists for them.  If the demand were to be removed, the supply chain would be irrelevent.  This, however, will never happen so long as they are tolerated at a cultural level, and as long as people remain ignorant or uncaring of the dangers of putting foreign substances into their bodies.

Let's take another good example of a very well regulated industry.  The firearms in the US is the most heavily regulated industry in the nation.  Yet, despite all that regulation and control at the state and Federal levels, people still procure weapons illegally through smuggling and theft.  This is a prime example of a dangerous, legal, highly regulated and taxed product that the criminal element still finds ways to procure and sell illegally.  Legalization doesn't solve anything, it just changes the equation a little.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: