2024-03-28, 22:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ambidextrous Ikaruga (Holy shit this is amazing)  (Read 4415 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2005-10-01, 02:27 »

Ikaruga is a shoot-em-up spaceship game along the lines of R-Type and Gradius. It's got a simple gimmick. If your ship is black, you absorb black shots. If you're white, you absorb white. Shots of the opposite color destroy you.

This is a video of  a guy playing through one of the levels of this game, controlling both players in a two-player game. He dies once, at the boss, when he messes up and runs into a wall. Other than that, it's flawless.

http://video.google.com/videopreviewbig?q=...t+3%3A06+AM+PDT

This is the most insane thing I've ever seen. I don't think I could do that controlling one ship. In fact, I know I can't. This game eats me for breakfast. It's freaking HARD.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-01, 05:22 »

We never see the guy completely, only his hands.  That's the only downside to the vid.  No way to tell for sure, but it does look like it's the same person playing both controllers.  I'm a little skeptical, but I won't say it's impossible.  It's like playing a two-handed piano melody, if you practice enough you can do it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-01, 05:31 »

Quote from: Phoenix
We never see the guy completely, only his hands.  That's the only downside to the vid.  No way to tell for sure, but it does look like it's the same person playing both controllers.  I'm a little skeptical, but I won't say it's impossible.  It's like playing a two-handed piano melody, if you practice enough you can do it.
The guy has apparently done many vids like this. I remember seeing a bit about this guy a couple months ago on ShackNews.

It's crazy.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-01, 08:06 »

I'd believe that's real. Ikaruga is nice for things like this because everything will always behave the same way every time you play it, with a very select few points in which it doesn't really matter. It's like playing both sides in Beatmania IIDX at one time -- memorize where your fingers need to be at what time, and you can do it like it's nothing. The fact that this guy was using the arcade version helps, too.

Con: Knowing that only the very center of your ship can be damaged really helps out a lot. You'd be surprised what you can do because your hitbox is so damn small. Once I learned that much, I started making it to the boss shown here before I finally lose a ship.  It's all downhill at that point, though.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-01, 09:01 »

I saw a game a while back similar to that.
I believe it was Marshie's Malloween Mix-up

The concept is basically the same. Slipgate - Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: