2024-04-18, 18:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake IV (It's out today)  (Read 18781 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #40 on: 2005-10-28, 07:06 »

Quote from: Tabun
I just installed F.E.A.R., and that seems to do a whole lot more with the engine than Q4. It's not quite good looking yet, but at least they seem to have tried. Remember how I always bitched at D3 and HL2, and how people should get their shit together and combine the lighting and the looks? Well, that's what they got close to doing. The environment looks less..  100%-metallic.. and shadows can be something other than pure-black too. It's a bit heavy on the hardware, but take their concept and give it the attention to detail HL2 showed - and you pretty much get what I 've been hoping for, for a while now.
Fear is great. Especially the multiplayer, that is really fun!
Great a very scary single player too.
The game looks very well done, the distortion shaders they use are really cool looking.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #41 on: 2005-10-29, 01:01 »

I wasn't really too impressed with the F.E.A.R. trailer I saw.  It's a tactical shooter with a high gore factor, and for the life of me I don't understand what's up with the "Matrix-style spacewarp explosions", and MUST we do bullet-time yet again?  Oh, and did I mention the gore?  I don't play games for a high blood-and-guts factor.  Yeah, I like Quake gibs, but gibs are a little cartoonish and have a nice slapstick factor to them.  I play games primarily for fun, and F.E.A.R. just doesn't look like it's a very fun game.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #42 on: 2005-10-29, 04:56 »

I played the fear demo it does a good job of making you feel more in the game than most fps games, kinda like every half-life game.
The bullet time bs is cause you somehow have the ability to slow time down for short periods.
I'm not sure how they work that into the story but it is an interesting gimmic.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #43 on: 2005-10-29, 09:35 »

Only Max Payne games should be allowed to use the Bullet-Time. Bullet-Time in FPS sucks. It's one of those things that just doesn't fit. Of course that I won't be able to play F.E.A.R. , because of my DX7 graphics card. BTW has anyone played HL2 : Lost Coast? 'Cause I'd love to play it, but my PC can't handle HDR Slipgate - Sad .

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2005-10-29, 14:42 »

I don't care much for the 'bullet-time' (which isn't called that, but 'slowmotion' in the game). It's only a nescessary feature at harder skill levels and not a central part of the game (like it was for Payne) - needless to say that's where they got their inspiration (+ the matrix).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #45 on: 2005-10-30, 08:05 »

The plot-hook for the "slowmo" effect in f.e.a.r. has to do with the main character's apparently heightened senses. I forget exactly where, but they DO say that your response times are "off the charts."

f.e.a.r., in my opinion, walks that tight line between plot and action rather well. It's not a blatant haunted-house like doom3 was, but they pull enough stunts to creep you out. All in all, it's been a fun ride so far, and there's a ton of attention to detail.

kudos to monolith for yet another apparent sleeper title :b

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #46 on: 2005-10-30, 09:47 »

Monolith has always been a good game company. AVPs, Tron 2.0, No one lives Forever, Contract Jack, CLAW!, etc. So I believe that this game is a good / very good game.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-30, 23:08 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #47 on: 2005-10-30, 18:00 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] Monolith has always been a good game company. AVPs, Tron 2.0, Dead or Alive, Contract Jack, CLAW!, etc. So I believe that this game is a good / very good game.

You forgot blood and no one lives forever
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: