2024-04-25, 22:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom Movie!  (Read 19616 times)
Paco the Taco

Imp

« Reply #20 on: 2005-10-28, 20:56 »

Phoenix, if they ever DO make a Quake movie, my first choice as the lead role would HAVE to be Gary Senise as Slipgater Slipgate - Smile. His jaw is very defined and seems to have quite a mean look when he is angry, hehe.

What do you guys think?

~ Super Macho Tacoman Slipgate - Tongue
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #21 on: 2005-10-28, 22:41 »

If they started making quake movies they'd have to start with the Q3 "storyline" just to mess with movie patrons  Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-10-29, 00:55 »

Well, I see Quake 2's universe as being perfect for a movie setting.  Since it's a war, you could make up any story you wanted to about the objectives, whatever.  Give a little backstory from the Marine's perspective (flashback, anyone?) about the Strogg having invaded Earth, and now how they're taking the fight to Stroggos itself.  I'd love to see live action Q2-ish firefights, especially if the baddies looked authentic to Q2.  I can just see a bunch of marines fighting through some weaker guards, then going real quiet inside this industrial-ish facility, then the next thing you know *GRRK!* someone gets a tentacle into their throat and gets pulled around the corner by a God-knows-what, which turns out to be a Strogg parasite.  The fellow Marines open up with their guns and chew the thing to pieces.  While they're trying to save their now gurgling, dying comrade, the next thing you know some big meaty, drooling ugly guy pops up on a ledge overhead and starts dishing out chaingun-speed firepower at the marines (Strogg enforcer).  Just one example of something that would be cool to see.  Jump to a later scene where a marine who's separated from his squad has doors close behind him, then you hear this metal on metal scraping noise.  This Strogg Berserker eyes the marine, and takes a few steps towards him.  He raises his shotgun to fire, and *click*, out of ammo.  The berserker, half-sneering, half-grinning, steps up fast to the marine and knockes him sideways with his hammer arm before the guy can think.  You can see a melee fight between the marine and the berserker ensuing, with the marine clubbing the berserker with his gun (to no effect) and the berserker eventually spiking the marine and pinning him up to the wall, then getting nose to nose with him to gloat as the marine dies.

Seriously, imagine the Q2 Strogg done in a mean real-life mode?  I'm not talking horror-ish like the Doom movie, but done full on action-style the way the Q2 game was done, only make the Strogg more visceral, more intelligent, more of how you'd expect an advanced, hostile cybernetic alien species to behave.  Sometimes I wish I could be a writer/director just so I could bring something like that to life.  It would certainly be fun. Slipgate - Smile

Tabby:  Found a bunch of US movie critic reviews of Doom here.  Absolutely horrible stuff to read.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-29, 07:04 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2005-10-29, 11:17 »

I see what you mean. The first review that I click open is about the movie's science, focuses on the (apparent) fact that the planet cannot be seen after the first shot. Mind you, the questions are justified. For a scientist. Perhaps this is one of those expectancy-problems we were typing about: this reviewer clearly was hoping to see a fancy piece of cerebral Clarke/Card/Asimov-like Sci-Fi. What he got was an action movie, and he didn't really review it as such (apart from a bit about the homage to the original video game perspective).
I don't think it's 'horrible', but it surely doesn't address the right audience for the movie and it clearly ignores the fact that this isn't one of those 'working-science' stories. I don't feel like reading the lot of them, but if this kind of thing is what ticks you off, I'm quite able to understand it.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-29, 11:17 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2005-11-03, 23:07 »

I saw it today, and it was far better than I expected. Granted, my expectations were very low, but I can confidently say that it rose above the level of a total shit B horror movie; it came out atleast one whole notch above Ghosts of Mars, Starship Troopers, and others of that caliber. I would even venture to say that it was better than the Matrix sequels, and possibly even Aliens 3 and 4. Given the relative lack of quality activity in the genre lately, I think it was one of the more enjoyable sci-fi experiences I've had in the last few years. I don't know if I'd compair it to War of the Worlds, Signs, or the Lord of the Rings movies (which aren't exactly in the genre anyway), but, it was a solid Aliens imitation.

I have to say I respect the job that the writer did tieing elements from the game together and turning it into a competant action movie, considering the shit he had to work with; in between game-isms that don't translate to film and contraints set by the producers and film industry to turn out something "marketable" that can apeal to the lowest common denominator, etc. Besides the interchanging of viral outbreak for hell, almost all of the elements from the game were included from the movie; the action, horror, mystery, etc... even the element of deathmatch combat makes an apearance. The obligatory cheese and stupidity which seems to be required for a horror/action flick was kept to a minimum.

The characters were actually handled pretty well; the cast of disposable characters were prevented from being offensively annoying or stupid and served their purpose of filling out dead time in the plot, and once their purpose was served, they promptly died in some entertaining fashion. The rookie kid of the squad wasn't nearly as annoying as the kid in the Matrix sequels. The old 'reformed criminal turned evengelical marine' character almost worked as a tragic and sympathetic character. The central characters; Sarge, "Reaper" and.....uh...Samantha, were also handled well. I really like how:

Spoiler:

A lot of people actually thought that the Rock would be the hero of the movie, and then he becomes a badguy in the end. He played the vilain role pretty well, and this twist totally flashes a finger to everyone's expectations.

Also, I have to say it was quite smart of David Calaham (the writer) to cast Rosumund Pike as "Reaper's" sister, eliminating any possibility of a cheesy love story spoiling the movie. The back story and relationship between Reaper and Samantha, while somewhat developed, was at most, merely hinted at, so IMO it struck the perfect balance between adding some amount of basic dimension to the characters and making them interesting, without getting in the way of the action with poorly executed 'drama' turned into cheese.

Lastly, while outside pressures prevented him from including the 'hell' element to the plot, Callaham smartly filled out the backstory to the virus in a way which one could interpret Hell to be a possible origin of the virus, even though there is no direct implication within the movie. This means that theoretically, a sequel which re-introduces the hell element from the games could be made without actually contradicting the virus story from the first movie. With a bigger budget, a better director, and the same writer (this guy seems to know what he's doing) there would be some hope for this aproach, though I will certainly not hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Other random points I'd like the make:

- the transition to the first-person sequence was done very well. By bringing Reaper into it from a state of unconsciousness, it came off much less akward and disparate than it would have otherwise.

- the first person sequence itself was pretty cheesy and laughable, but had some fleeting instants of brilliance which were somewhat exciting. A better director could have executed it in a manner (probably with lots of 'shacky cam' effect) allowing it to be taken far more seriously, from a comic releif segment to an intense action squence. Had it not been filmed in such an over-ly clear, smooth "camera mounted on a cart" manner, it could have been pretty cool

- the rookie kid in the squad wasn't nearly as lame or annoying as the kid from the Matrix sequels (repeated for emphasis). He also made a good martyr for "insurection" later on.

- even though they only showed a few monsters from the game, they were all done pretty well and were pretty cool. Short of throwing fireballs, they did everything they did in the game. Even the mass zombie rush, while having been done in so many other movies allready, was decent.

- the deathmatch part could have been really cool had it been an intense, stealthy, 1 on 1 shootout, and not a martial arts fist fight.

- the BFG was pretty cool, particularly the melting effect, but it should have been used for a direct kill shot atleast once. Also, the plasma would have been cooler in green, and it would have been more dramatic if a maked 'charge-up' period preceded the blast.

- the inclusion of the BFG and chaingun were nice, and the fact that the assault rifles were all M4 and G36 hack jobs was forgiveable, but the Rocket Launcher was sorely missed. It's not Doom, or even Id, without the good old "RL". A plasma rifle would have been nice too.

That's all I have to say for now. Not too bad. Certainly far from perfect, but given how absolutely dirt poor shitty it could have been, it's pretty good.
« Last Edit: 2005-11-03, 23:12 by Gnam » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #25 on: 2005-11-15, 00:03 »

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it.

Not enough shotguns or rockets though.
« Last Edit: 2005-11-16, 19:53 by shambler » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2005-12-30, 04:18 »

I saw it tonight, and I thought it sucked. Bad.

I wasn't expecting it to rock, game-movies seldomly do (see Alone in the Dark, Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat), although there are some exceptions, like Resident Evil (which was quite acceptable). Anyway, I won't deal with the spoilers, but it's safe to say that there's very little resemblance to classic or renewed DooM's, nor anything interesting to make up for that. Nostalgia^2 would have saved any movie for me, regardless of sloppy dialogue, bad effects, nonsensical melee fights and the like- but that wasn't happening here. There are a few game references (as well as movie references within the genre), some annoyingly obvious, others good for a grin.
Overall, I thought it was about as worthless as Resident Evil Apocalypse. Ironically, it reminded me of that movie a lot, too. You can't not have seen it, if you're into DooM, but my advice is to just download a DivX: it's not worth a trip to the theatre.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2006-01-04, 08:45 »

I merged this topic with the older one.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2006-02-08, 22:41 »

It's out on DVD.  There's an unrated version that has a (slightly) longer FPS sequence, in both Widescreen and Full Screen, in addition to the theatrical version.  I have the unrated widescreen version.  If you liked the movie, I'd recommend this one, it can be had for around $17.00.  If you don't like it, well, follow Tab's advice. Slipgate - Wink

The extras on the DVD are nice.  It's got a fairly long segment called "Doom Nation" that covers, well, the history of all things Doom, as well as documentaries on the creature effects, the FPS sequence, etc.  There's even a "newbie" guide to Doom 3, which to me was kind of nice because I got to see a bit of how the game's supposed to look on decent hardware without heavily spoiling anything.  *sigh*  My hardware sucks. Slipgate - Sad  The part I really liked was they went into the weapons and squad tactics training for the actors.  There's a few fun moments in there too, especially when some of the actors have a little trouble handling their weapons.  One thing I still love about the movie is the attention to detail regarding the weapons handling.  They may appear to cock their guns a bit too often, though clearing the chamber (making sure the gun is either loaded or unloaded by pulling the bolt part way back with the safety on) can look just like chambering a round, but otherwise it was a refreshing break from the usual "fire continuously without ever reloading", etc, that spoils a lot of action movies.  I absolutely can't stand some of the things I've seen in films like Delta Force, where Chuck Norris can kill people 50 yards away with a machinepistol, without reloading, without even aiming from a moving vehicle in a high-speed chase, whereas the guys pursuing him with the Ak-47 assault rifles don't know what the semi-automatic mode nor rifle sights are for, and the sheet metal body of a Volkswagon "hippie" van can magically stop rifle bullets from penetrating through into Chuck's legs and groin.  A .380 caliber pistol round will go straight through a car door at 25 feet for crying out loud!

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #29 on: 2006-02-10, 10:21 »

The DVD also contains an X-Box demo of DOOM 3.  The nice aspect of the demo is that allows you to check out the single player and online multiplayer a little, including co-op.  The bad part is that you have to initially wait for the demo to be copied to your X-Box's hard drive and for the game to load before you can actually choose the option to watch the DVD.

Pho:  There's a very simple reason why Chuck Norris doesn't need to aim or have a heavily armored vehicle, he's Chuck Norris.  He need only frown at the bullets to bend them to his will.  Slipgate - Ninja

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #30 on: 2006-02-10, 13:14 »

yea pho , everyone knows texas rangers are bulletproof.
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #31 on: 2006-02-27, 21:07 »

I'm sorry, I had to come back to say "I told you so."

Plus, I'm really bored during my office hours.

Ha!

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2006-02-27, 22:42 »

Welcome back, though I'm not sure what the "I told you so" is about exactly.  Maybe some elaboration would help.  Slipgate - Smile

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #33 on: 2006-02-27, 23:39 »

Having seen the movie myself I've got a picture in my mind of the writers discussing the plot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Honestly though, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I had a severe feeling of deja vu.
« Last Edit: 2006-02-27, 23:50 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #34 on: 2006-02-28, 01:20 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Welcome back, though I'm not sure what the "I told you so" is about exactly.  Maybe some elaboration would help.  Slipgate - Smile
Oh yea, sorry.

I said a while back that the DooM movie would suck. I was driven off because of my overwhelming cynicism. I just came to claim you stand corrected.

It's good to be back.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2006-02-28, 03:59 »

Well the problem with that is you're assuming that you're right.  You see I do not think it sucks, therefore you are wrong. Slipgate - Smile

I believe I warned you about constant negativity and veiled insults at board members reaching a point of excess.  You sort of left voluntarily if I recall.  It's been a while, so we'll see how you do.
Slipgate - Ninja

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #36 on: 2006-02-28, 09:57 »

[patronize]No, we'll see how YOU'LL do.[/patronize]
« Last Edit: 2006-02-28, 09:57 by McDeth » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2006-02-28, 21:23 »

[gloat]Good, bad, I'm the bird with the admin powers.[/gloat]  Slipgate - Grin

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #38 on: 2006-03-01, 00:37 »

Actually:

The "Why I Told You So" Linky

EDIT : Concerning the last post of that topic, beware McDeth, as pollution melts ice, and a cracked ice can create an even bigger cracked ice, which is bad during the winter, since it only gets colder, but in the summer.. it's CooL! Also when people fall in a crack, they tend to die!

No idea what this last sentence means.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-01, 01:03 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #39 on: 2006-03-01, 09:47 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] Actually:

The "Why I Told You So" Linky

EDIT : Concerning the last post of that topic, beware McDeth, as pollution melts ice, and a cracked ice can create an even bigger cracked ice, which is bad during the winter, since it only gets colder, but in the summer.. it's CooL! Also when people fall in a crack, they tend to die!

No idea what this last sentence means.
Can I buy pot from you?

Beer? I'm down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: