2024-04-28, 08:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rioting in France (And Elsewhere...)  (Read 7183 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-11-07, 15:59 »

PARIS (AP) - Rioting by French youths spread to 300 towns overnight and a man hurt in the violence died of his wounds, the first fatality in 11 days of unrest that has shocked the country, police said Monday.

As urban unrest spread to neighboring Belgium and possibly Germany, the French government faced growing criticism for its inability to stop the violence, despite massive police deployment and continued calls for calm.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051107/D.../D8DNLIF06.html

As much as I know some will gloat over this owing to strong anti-French sentiment in the US, I wonder where will this go from here?  This is becoming more than just a French problem.  It's spreading, and I don't like the looks of where this could be headed.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-07, 16:29 »

i wont lose any sleep over it.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-07, 20:42 »

I am amazed that theres only been one death so far.

4700 cars! if you consider how big an area that must be over, it puts the problem into perspective.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-07, 22:39 »

Quote from: Woodsman
i wont lose any sleep over it.
Neither will I, but I am concerned about radicals in other places (possibly in the US, etc) taking a cue from this and acting out yet more violence.  If they don't get this under control soon it will have all the earmarks of a Jihad in Europe, and if it even looks like it's having any degree of success that means incitement elsewhere.  I don't think this is going to explode into a full-scale uprising, but that possibility does exist.

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-08, 07:33 »

Quote from: shambler
I am amazed that theres only been one death so far.
Same here.  I read about the rioting a few days ago.  It's rather unsettling that a riot of that size has broken out, but it reminds me a lot of the riots in New York when minorities were clamoring for more rights.  I'm not saying that it's the same scenario here, but I find it interesting all the same.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-08, 20:49 »

a riot is a riot. One is no more legit than another.
go4a

« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-08, 21:25 »

so.. we have big problems here , but nobody see it, because everybody hate us..
i can't see any country or any people, who can say, that oir country is 'good'.. it's really frustrating..
ps. sorry for english :]
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-11-08, 21:53 »

Well, don't worry go4a, there's at least one member on these boards that doesn't see nationality as a definitive/essential part of a human being and who doesn't think any country or nation to be superior or inferior to another. Yours truly, for instance :]

That said, riots suck. I'm keeping a close eye on their effects and the way things proceed, but I'm hoping there won't be much more to note..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #8 on: 2005-11-08, 21:59 »

Make that two.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-11-08, 22:55 »

You don't see me gloating, do you?  I am not happy with the situation at all.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-11-09, 02:44 »

Im not happy with it.... im just... not sad.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2005-11-09, 10:01 »

I didn't mean to sound unconcerned either.  Riots are riots and are never a good thing.  My mom was clocked on the head and rendered unconscious in one of the riots in New York.  Luckily, she was near a co-worker at the time, and she was pulled away to safety.

Protesting rarely requires rioting, and I do hope the riot can be surpressed in a "relatively" peaceful manner.  The only reason why I feel it is interesting is because from what I've read, the people rioting tend be youths of the minorities in France.  That doesn't make their rioting righteous, but it does make me feel the need to question what is compelling them to go to such extremes.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-11-09, 16:35 »

Should that even be a question?  It's simple, they feel the need to cause mayhem, so mayhem it is.  We can question all sorts of things, like living conditions, socio-economic pressures, etc, but it boils down to a large number of like-minded people seizing an opportunity to cause destruction.  I would be more interested in who has filled their heads with the notion that it's OK to pillage and burn.  That's not protesting.  That's lawlessness.
« Last Edit: 2005-11-09, 16:36 by Phoenix » Logged

go4a

« Reply #13 on: 2005-11-09, 19:33 »

I know a remarkable joke just for that theme - flies 'Deep sh*t for all'  on the sky, sees the house *BOOM* - burns, sees a haystack - *BOOM* - burns, sees the house - *BOOM*  - nothing - *BOOM* - nothing.. 'Deep sh*t for all'  flies up  to a window and looks - anybody don't f*cking care =)

i don't know how you will  apprehend it - but actually it is ridiculous =) The author is Gvaneckyi Slipgate - Smile
go4a

« Reply #14 on: 2005-11-10, 17:50 »

mmmm... What time do you have right now ? )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: