2024-03-28, 18:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: #@!%$!$#%@#$% CD ROM! >:O (data readings.....HELP!)  (Read 4297 times)
Draco

Hell Knight

« on: 2005-12-09, 12:33 »

Either the laser beam that reads the cd is burned out or it just SUDDENLY decides to go retarded on me. its a Toshiba S151 Laptop if that helps any and the cd rom in it worked fine till suddenly it doesn't read my cd's anymore. I can find ways to let the cd automatically play (if its a dvd or such) and i can find ways to transfer whats on the cd with a transfer wizard, but when i go into "My Computer" or I do a file search on the cd thats inside, "0 Search" shows up or nothing shows on the cd. it shows up blank. so WTF?#we%$!@$#%!#$turkeybreasts!

The cd also ejects just fine.....everything is fine EXCEPT for it reading data. please dont tell me i have to SOMEHOW replace the cd rom drive -__- also if its helps, its a cd rom drive and also a cd burner at the same time. heeeeeeeelp meeeeee ;_;

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-12-09, 21:26 »

Let's try the obvious first:

1)  Tried a different disk?
2)  Disk not damaged?
3)  Clean the drive recently?
4)  Is it actually spinning the disk? (put it in and watch which way the label points.  If it always ejects in the same position it went in, your drive motor is toast)

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #2 on: 2005-12-10, 00:59 »

1) already tried a different disk, wouldn't read it, but it would play it.
2)none of my disks are damaged
3)what do you mean clean the drive? you mean defragment it because I already did that some odd weeks ago.
4)since it can play music cds or dvds the disk HAS to be spinning because the eye laser thingy has to follow to the location of the song right? and no its never in the same position the cd starts in. plays the cd, just doesn't read whats "on it" when i do a file search on it and so on and so on.

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-12-10, 01:49 »

By cleaning the drive I mean using a CD-ROM cleaner disk.  They usually do a good job of cleaning any smudges or dust off the laser lens.  If that doesn't work, then I'd say it's possible your drive is failing either because the laser has become weak, or the focusing mechanism has become faulty, causing it to not be able to read digital data.  I wouldn't rule out a software problem either though.  If you can use a Windows 98 boot floppy (assuming you have a floppy disk drive) to boot to a DOS prompt with CD-ROM support enabled, try accessing the drive using DOS commands.  If you don't know how to do that, ask away, I'm very familiar with DOS and it's not too hard to use if you don't mind a little typing.

If you can open the laptop up, you might want to check the data cable connection to the drive as well.  Sometimes if that works a little loose it can cause odd behavior.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #4 on: 2005-12-11, 04:56 »

Quote from: Phoenix
By cleaning the drive I mean using a CD-ROM cleaner disk.  They usually do a good job of cleaning any smudges or dust off the laser lens.  If that doesn't work, then I'd say it's possible your drive is failing either because the laser has become weak, or the focusing mechanism has become faulty, causing it to not be able to read digital data.  I wouldn't rule out a software problem either though.  If you can use a Windows 98 boot floppy (assuming you have a floppy disk drive) to boot to a DOS prompt with CD-ROM support enabled, try accessing the drive using DOS commands.  If you don't know how to do that, ask away, I'm very familiar with DOS and it's not too hard to use if you don't mind a little typing.

If you can open the laptop up, you might want to check the data cable connection to the drive as well.  Sometimes if that works a little loose it can cause odd behavior.
well opening the laptop is WAAAAAAAY out of my league. ill leave that to woodsmand next time i see him. ill let him check it out cuz more than likely he'll spot something wrong than what i could ever spot. hopefully nothing is seriously wrong or is gonna cost me. ill use going to the store as a last result. thanks for the help Pho Slipgate - Smile

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: