2024-03-29, 06:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 Kills = No Death Sentence (... WOW!)  (Read 7189 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2006-03-02, 09:15 »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/28/mass.kil...g.ap/index.html
George E. Banks is delusional, psychotic and has no capacity to assist in his own defense, Luzerne County President Judge Michael Conahan ruled Monday.

OK, this is very peculiar. The man murderers 13 people, and just because he is or is crazy, he gets away. Now I'm not discussing here Death Penalty, I'm simply saying that he gets to go to a prison hospital instead of a prison.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-02, 10:54 »

Correction: you are discussing the death penalty. Either that, or you made a typo in your topic.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-02, 13:27 »

OK, ya got me. I am discussing it. It's funny, America has a strict death penalty, but if you're crazy, then you won't get death penalty. First of all, death penalty is ridiculous. Second, the fact that a person, for example, killed 1 person is enough to tell that he/she is crazy. So I still don't see their point by doing that just because he is crazy.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-02, 23:51 »

Don't confuse insanity with murderous intent.  Criminal behavior can result from insanity, but it is not strictly a form of insanity.  One human can kill another with perfect premeditation and cognition, understanding of consequence and action, and not be insane.  That makes them a murderer, but not insane.

As for the death penalty, well, some people are for it, others against, and it's by no means a forbidden subject here.  I have nothing against killing people who are convicted and sentenced to be executed - provided you actually carry out the executions.  Otherwise the death penalty carries no weight and is a pointless parody of punishment.  When they stuck people's heads on pikes outside a town, or hung them publicly and left their corpses to rot, that was a rather effective deterrant and certainly an undesirable punishment.  I'm sure people will disagree with me or think this barbaric, but consider this for a moment.  Is leaving a person on death row for two decades and letting them appeal forever, wasting taxpayer dollars in the process, humane?  Is life imprisonment humane?  Giving a condemned person a false sense of hope that he can appeal his way out of a conviction and avoid execution is a kind of torture.  So is locking a person up until they die.  A swift execution, to me, is far more merciful, and the old Russian method of providing a single pistol round to the base of the skull was also the most efficient and economical, plus was rather painless compared to the electric chair or gallows.

Let's not forget the victims in all of this too.  Their rights should never, ever be but behind the rights of a criminal.  That is the greatest failing of the criminal justice system of any country is to give a convicted criminal more rights than the people they have hurt.  The death penalty for murder provides a kind of reciprocity for the crime.  It does not bring back the dead, but since the murderer took away the life of someone else against their will, their life is now being taken away from them against their will in turn.  

This is all just my personal opinion of course, and anyone is welcome to disagree with it as they see fit.  Regarding the article, I do think it's absurd that a person can murder 13 people and skirt a conviction.  Far too many people plead insanity as a defense when they are simply evil and cruel.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-02, 23:51 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-03, 00:00 »

I believe that if you embezzled a shit load of money, if you rape, if you murder, if you so much as  assault somebody causing them severe physical retardation, you die. No exceptions, no lengthy trials, no insanity case, you die. There are too many people on the planet as it is, we need to start cutting back by ending those who deserve it the most.

I know what some people would respond with "But, but, but, Josh, it's in human." I would kill them, but more importantly, I claim the above crimes are more inhuman than a quick death under an anesthetic.

Again, I forsee whinning. "But, Josh I know nothing about economics,yet as I am a dumbass, I say it is more expensive to put someone to death than it is to incarcarate them for life. Again, I claim this arguement makes as much sense as an asshole on my elbow would. Here's what I would do. Go to K-Mart. By a bullet for 10 cents. Put it in a gun. Pull trigger. Rinse, and repeat.

"Wah, it's inhuman." Review paragraph two.

Any thoughts?

Beer? I'm down.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-03, 01:46 »

Well I think when someone mentions the whole it's cheaper to keep an death-row convict alive theory they include crap like funerals and a grave site "cause after all even criminals need to have a good final resting place" personally I say to hell with that they screwed up their chance to live with society so to hell with their choice of burial or cremation, dump their asses into a mass grave site send them to collage med students to be hacked into tiny gibs, hell hang their rotting corpses outside the city limits. I don't care what you do they sporked up their life and undoubtedly someone else's life so why worry about what the convict of their family thinks about what will happen to the corpse?

I know someone will bring up religious beliefs,okay lets say the conditon of you body DOES effect your place in the afterlife, yeah okay that is a valid consern, but i'll consede that point when you tell me what religion says you don't burn after killing someone, yes I know some religions (not sure of which ones.) believe in reincarnation but still you want a choice of what happens to your cold liveless corpse don't be a jackass and quit breaking the law.

And final point for now yes I know that sometimes an innocent person will end up on death row, I'm not questioning how the judicial system works I'm saying that removing the waste that people can become works.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-03, 03:00 »

Quote from: Kajet
dump their asses into a mass grave site send them to collage med students to be hacked into tiny gibs, hell hang their rotting corpses outside the city limits.
Incinerator comes to mind.  I say you murder or rape, or severely maim someone, you're done.  Your corpse gets toasted, and all your assets are liquidated at auction (post execution, have them frozen after conviction and restrained during trial to prevent a sell-off but still allow the accused to pay bills, etc) and the money from the auction all goes to the victim's family or, if there's no family, a victim's trust that helps compensate crime victims' families when their assailants are still at large.

Regarding encarceration for some lesser crimes, here's a thought.  Take away the flipping cable TV and luxury cells some of these crooks have.  You're a heinous criminal?  How about a cot, a toilet, a sink, and 4 grey walls, your meals consisting of bread and water, maybe a little gruel, served under a slat in the cell door?  Let's bring back the dungeon, make it a bit unpleasant to be incarcerated again!  Ticking away days bored out of your skull with the same things served every day, and no communal contact with other prisoners, would get old really fast, and some of these "career criminals" might not want to go back after they've done their sentence the first time around.  First time crooks would get a real bad experience and that would be a deterrent.  Prison should not be pleasant.  It should be very undesirable without resorting to excessive cruelty.  Locking someone in a cell is not cruel and unusual punishment. The rack, and thumbscrews fall into that category, and I've seen just about every medieval torture device you can think of.  Trust me, the Western world doesn't know the meaning of cruel and unusual punishment.  Go to Arabia.  You can still see it in action over there.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-03, 03:02 by Phoenix » Logged

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-03, 09:30 »

about death penalty.
does anybody know why they use steril needles for the death penalty itself ?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-03, 10:35 »

You know Phoenix, you're quite right. Prisioners should suffer in prison, not enjoy it. The goverment could use the prisioners for so many things, like cleaning forests, cleaning the highways, etc. It's a waste of human resources to just keep them caged : make them contribute to society by making this kind of hard work while carrying weights chained to their handcufs / feetcufs. I think that death penalty is quite useless and should be used on certain cases (not saying that it should be forbidden), the rest should get their asses in the prison and work HARD.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #9 on: 2006-03-03, 17:41 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] You know Phoenix, you're quite right. Prisioners should suffer in prison, not enjoy it. The goverment could use the prisioners for so many things, like cleaning forests, cleaning the highways, etc. It's a waste of human resources to just keep them caged : make them contribute to society by making this kind of hard work while carrying weights chained to their handcufs / feetcufs. I think that death penalty is quite useless and should be used on certain cases (not saying that it should be forbidden), the rest should get their asses in the prison and work HARD.
The problem with that is it takes away jobs.

Just kill them.

Beer? I'm down.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2006-03-03, 18:18 »

you can still have non violent offenders on the chaingang ,
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #11 on: 2006-03-03, 20:34 »

In my country, there is noone to look after the forests, so it wouldn't take away any job...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2006-03-04, 01:27 »

Forests don't need looking after so long as you keep the humans out of them.  It's the humans that need looking after.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: