2024-03-28, 21:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hmmmmmm........ (Things that make you go hmmmm.....)  (Read 8722 times)
Kenny_WHS

Team Member
Pinky

« on: 2003-07-13, 18:50 »

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

http://www.intellectualwhores.com/masterladder.html
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-14, 04:24 »

well that was a steaming bowl of boring crap. i cant believe i just wasted 10 minutes of my life trying to understand relations between men and women. i want my 10 minutes back!!......never mind id only waste it anyway.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-14, 10:08 »

This is why amateurs should not try to practice psychology.  He has absolutely no statistical data supporting his theory, only personal observations, which he makes no attempt at hiding.  He is assuming his world view concerning male and female attitudes in humans is the only viable one.  I see much cynacism behind his theory.  Here are factors he discounts:

1)  There ARE people who have friends they find attractive but do not have sex with.
2)  Religious and personal moral codes are completely discounted in his arguments (religion was mentioned briefly)
3)  He confuses instinctual urges with intention to act on them.

The interaction between males and females is much more complex in human society than he gives credit for.  He has never ONCE considered this possibility:  That a person is not even put on a ladder at all.  Every human - male and female - that I've spoken to has friends they are not out to have sex with that they do not consider unattractive if asked about them.  Does it mean that they haven't necessarily thought about it?  No, but there are other factors in life that lead people to be friends and nothing more than friends.  Attraction and desire are rooted in instinct, true, but the one thing he leaves out completely from this is love.  It is not mentioned once in his theory, and leaves a glaring, gaping hole in it.  The ONLY thing he is concerned with is sex, which tells me that he is a complete cynic on the subject.  He does not believe in love, he views it only as a pseudo-mechanism to bed someone.  How pathetic.  Love is a very real thing, and it exists far beyond the purpose he would relegate it to.  If you want proof of this then just research instances where a friend lays down their life to spare someone else.  Altruistic behavior does not factor into his "theory", if you can call such an abomination thus.  It also does not explain why people can maintain fidelity in long-term relationships where some long timespan of separation is concerned, such as those in the military.  I'm sure in his mind that every military wife or husband is cheating.  Let's not forget he hasn't brought children up once either, which is a VERY important thing if you ask anyone, and kind of has a lot to do with sex, seeing as that you can't have children without it.

Perhaps there are a great many humans who treat the other gender the way he proposes, perhaps this is what he's observed from his station in life, I do not know.  I would say that from my perch it looks as though he is in the gutter, and thinks everyone else is there too in order to justify his own worldview.  This is a classic case of associative translation - he is applying the filter of his life experience to the rest of the world and assuming that everything outside of his little box must be just like what's in it.  Objectivity is clearly lacking in his observations.  As much as I dislike the gutter mentality of a great portion of human society, I must be fair in that I have seen dedication and commitment between humans that his theory does not account for at all.  How else can you explain marriages that have lasted upward of 50 years, where there has been no cheating, where neither individual is rich or powerful?  You cannot, save for possibility that these two love each other, and make each other happy, and that is their primary objective - not sex.  I've heard it explained that love is cake, and sex is the icing in a successful relationship.  It is a matter of prioritization.  I suppose you could say he makes the mistake of assuming that sex is at the top of everyone's "ladder" of the things they find important in life.  For many maybe it is, but I doubt it would be true for everyone, and certainly not 100% of the time.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-14, 15:21 »

pho: there are always exceptions.. no theory is 100 percent correct.. however he does provide many interesting points that ive seen to be true myself...  however i dont agree with half of the stuff myself either..  things like this always need to be taken with a pinch of salt, there is some truth to it.. but as with all things, there are exceptions.. the question is.. what percentage of people is the exceptions?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-15, 00:19 »

I've heard it said that humans are taxonimists.  That is, they cannot understand something without classifying it, and they cannot accept something without understanding it.  The true irony is that by classifying humans as taxonimists the one who made that observation merely proved it in himself!  This is, unfortunately, the root of bigotry, stereotype, and misconception.  I see this "system" as just another example of this.  Life is inherently simple, yet devilshly complex at the same time.  This is why all attempts to lump people (and other forms of life) into one catagory or another will ultimately fail the test of time.  Maybe some people fit the criteria some of the time but they never do all the time, and certainly not everyone will.  People react to their perceptions and observations in life, as does any creature, yet reality is usually very far from it.

The wise pay little heed to those who claim they have all the answers, especially when there is no happiness in what they provide.  Better to find answers for one's self than to rely on someone else's misery.  It makes a poor mentor.
« Last Edit: 2003-07-15, 00:20 by Phoenix » Logged

OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2003-07-15, 03:46 »

Could someone summarize this for me?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2003-07-15, 14:35 »

i already did summarize it. steaming bowl of boring crap.save yourself the time and dont read it.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2003-07-17, 22:56 »

i dont know.. in all seriousness...
in my experiences out in the wild world.. i found this to be true in many cases with immature woman and men, who cared only for materealistic values..

which sadly is becoming a majority in today's society i believe...

oh well.. hopefully they'll become so materealistic, and their standards go so high, they stop breeding...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-07-18, 08:00 »

I'll dread the day their standards get that high, Dicion, because then people will start looking at us birds VERY differently...  :blink:

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2003-07-20, 02:59 »

It's a JOKE, Phoenix... A huge, complex "Men vs. Women" joke.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-07-20, 07:45 »

Are you referring to Dicion's comments, or the theory?
« Last Edit: 2003-07-20, 07:47 by Phoenix » Logged

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #11 on: 2003-07-20, 16:54 »

The theory, of couse...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-07-21, 22:46 »

I'm glad we animals are simpler then. Slipgate - Roll Eyes

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-07-23, 10:26 »

in most cases the one who looks te healthies or has the nicest feathers or the nicest nest gets the girl .

think its the same with  humans .
women seek or
healthy men
nice looking man
man with a nice house (mostly its a rich man )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: