2024-04-19, 07:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce 4 MX SUCK! (Money.)  (Read 6069 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2006-04-10, 00:27 »

The greatest black hole in Computer's history was the GeForce 4 MX series, aka GeForce 2 MX series. Those guys at nVidia were asleep when they though of this one :

- What shall we do with that gigantic stock of GeForce 2 MXs?
- Get a new name and a new box for them?
- w00t, hell yeah.
- OK LET'S DO THIS!

Many people were decieved by this horrible scam. I have survived with this graphic card for like 5 or 4 years now, but next month I'll be getting a GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 (duh) AGP (yeah i know, but my motherboard has no PCI-E). Now to change my CPU...

Resum? - Evil nVidia! Damn you and your GeForce 4 MXs!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-10, 05:00 »

Could do worse...  Integrated SiS graphics comes to mind.  It's pretty bad when you can run Quake 2 faster in SOFTWARE mode than you can in OpenGL...
by a factor of 12...
at 1024x768.
 Slipgate - Distraught

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-10, 15:03 »

O-M-F-G. Simply that. That sounds so unreal... man!

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-10, 17:57 »

Hey if you didn't have your Geforce MXs you wouldn't have your 6600 GT. Slipgate - Smile

By the way the said video card you want to purchase is a waste of money, you can get a 256mb card for just as much money, or in some cases, less. Like this card for example.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102673

Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-02, 22:17 »

Be happy to at least have a computer with internet AND a video card.Right now im talking from the computer of my brother.I play gen here,because my computer would collapse into many shards for BARELY trying to put 1 bot in a gen arena map.Its not a bad computer.It just...Has an horrible 16-bit integrated video card that like make a war with another video card(if is inserted D'oh).I hope my brother make real his promess and buys me a new video card (I doubt it but dreams are the only thing that is free and sweet).

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-21, 22:21 »

At one time i had a PC without an AGP slot so my video card options were limited. I already had myself a PCI Radeon 32 megabyte card that had served me very well but it wasn't doing too good when UT2K3 came out so i went looking for other options. I bought a Geforce 4 MX with 64 megabytes of ram ( at the time i just thought bigger numbers were automatically better) and my frame rate dropped in EVERY game and the visual quality suffered dramatically as well. About a month later i finally bought a new motherboard and processor with an AGP slot and not long after that i bought my old Radeon 9700 pro. I sold the Geforce 4 MX to a friend of mine who needed something to play medieval total war with for 20 bucks despite having paid  120 for it  and i  still felt bad.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-21, 22:22 by Woodsman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-22, 00:31 »

Now compare that to the GeForce 4 Ti4600 that I'm running.  Sure, it's obsolete compared to modern cards, but I think I paid around $270 for it  (including shipping and tax, it was closer to $230 before Uncle Taft got his cut Slipgate - Exhausted ) when they were brand new and I'm still chugging along on it.  I get 125 FPS in Gen, at 800x600, with vsync, 2x Anisotropic and cg_dlightlevel 3.  Sure, it drops down on some maps and when there's heavy action, but it's adequate until I can afford that massive upgrade.  I've definitely gotten my money's worth from it when you consider I've been running it for 4 years.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-23, 08:11 »

Actually, I never got to buy the 6600GT. My PC doesn't have any PCIe so it's quite pointless to buy a new graphic card in AGP. Also, I'm going to wait for the GF8 series and the next Windows to buy a new PC.

But yeah Phoenix, your GPU is quite good. The Ti series had very strong GPU's so it's not a surprise to me that it stills kicks ass. IMO the GF5 were quite useless, but needed for the transiton to the GF6, DUH!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: