2024-04-19, 18:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ET: Quakewars  (Read 5689 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-04-22, 01:49 »

So I've not really been following this a whole lot, but there's some info on the various player classes:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/enemy-territory-q...s/702534p1.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/enemy-territory-q...s/702406p1.html

Now, is it me, or is this looking a lot like yet-another-Team-Fortress clone, or at least, "Return to Castle Quakenstein" multiplayer?  Granted, I have no idea how it's actually going to play, and I'm sure this information is vastly incomplete, but it seems very light on personal weapons and the loadout for the GDF is almost entirely bullet-based.  Maybe this is a necessary shift away from the "one man ammo dump" single player Quakeguy since this involves large numbers of people, but I find it disheartening that this is looking less and less Quake-ish the more I see of it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-22, 02:50 »

Considering Splash Damage made the Quake3: Fortress mod then went on to make Enemy Territory... I'm not surprised, even expected it.

As for weapons.. two or so per class is plenty for the type of game it's going to be, if it's like Enemy Territory anyway.. which it seems like it is from what I've read and saw of it.. pretty much just ET with different weapons and vehicles. I could be wrong tho.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-22, 04:10 »

I have an idea for a different kind of game.  You want some "Quake Wars"?  How's this:

1)  Earth forces.  You can be a Slipgater or Q2 Grunt.  The guns stay authentic to the old games.  You can build armory stations to upgrade your weapons and resupply your ammo.  The upside is you'll be pretty powerful, and you can mow down legions of enemies with relatively few men, especially once your ammo stations can manufacture high-tech guns and explosives - which you'll need against zombies and also to demolish gateways and stroggification tanks.  The downside is you're not going to get minions to control, you've got to rely on your own guts and firepower and that of your comrades.  Losing a friend is going to hurt you a lot more than the other side losing a few minions.  It'll be just like old times, except some of those stronger monsters will actually be other players, and they're going to be commanding the weaker monsters to kick your ass before letting you get close enough to go toe-to-toe with them.

2)  Quake Minions.  That's right, baddie monsters from Quake 1.  Anything they could do, you can do.  Not only that, but certain members of your team can set up portals to teleport in weaker troops (AI controlled grunts and zombies, for example) at various locations to do your bidding.  The more portals you can build, the bigger your army, and upgrading portals means stronger creatures can come through.  You may not have much in the lines of firepower, but you have an endless supply of weaker monsters waiting to pop through your portals and you can overwhelm the otherside with numbers and nastiness.  Who wouldn't want the satisfaction of watching some fiends eviscerate their foes?

3)  Strogg Army.  Baddie monsters from Quake 2.  Anything they could do, you can do.  You've got the best of both worlds, high-tech weaponry, and the ability to stroggify anything and everything laying around.  Your team's technicians and such can build stroggification tanks to churn out cannon fodder, and the more kibble you collect from fallen foes, the more you can upgrade your stroggification tanks, and the more vicious the troops you can make.  You won't number as much as the Quake Minions, and you're not as strong as the Earth Forces, but you're a good balance of numbers and firepower.

Throw in a few relevent abilities needed for continuity, like building gateways/stroggification tanks, and for the Earth forces some kind of armory stations or whatever, determine which monsters will be playable, how to handle respawning/reinforcing, and there you go.  As for objectives, well that's easy.  For Quake's side to lose, you destroy their main gateway to the Realm of Black Magic.  For Strogg to lose, you destroy their team's primary factory machinery.  For Earth's forces to lose, you blow up their slipgate.  Of course, this may require some secondary objectives first - like disabling the base forcefields or whatever other ideas come to mind, but that would be the basic goal.  Once the team's primary objective is lost they can't reinforce, so they can't respawn nor can the primary objective be repaired.  That means any additional casualties on that team are permanent.  It is possible for a team to lose its primary objective and still win if they manage to take out the other side first.  Either way, last team standing wins.

Now what do you think of that for a game?

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-22, 04:32 »

I remember playing a moster morph mod thing for q1 once... never realized how bad the baddies had it until I played that. Hard to hit anything with those slow moving projectiles... Vore was an exception of course.. Shambler to a lesser extent. Playing as a Fiend kicked major ass tho.. was like being an alien from AvP without the wallclimbing crap, and a buttload more durability. Slipgate - Smile

And yes.. I'd much rather that idea.  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2006-04-22, 04:34 »

Pho: That idea sounds the absolute business. I've always wanted to be a Tank ... Sipgate - Evil

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2006-04-22, 11:05 »

What, you actually had any expectations on new classes? Come on now, you sound like a fool. It was preety obvious the classes would be the same as W:ET. Besides, if ET was fun, then QW will be fun too.

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #6 on: 2006-04-22, 18:20 »

I kinda hate class based teamplay, usually there is too much specialization and you end up with a few crappy weapons instead of a larger, more generalized selection.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-04-23, 03:05 »

Actually Kruz, I had no expectations on the classes.  I've not played Enemy Territory.  I have, however, played every game in the Quake series except for Quake 4, of which I've only played the demo, if you can call 10-15fps average on low settings "playing..."  So I do know Quake, and well, it says Quake wars in the title.  That carries a certain weight to it.  When you say Quake, I think shamblers, and fiends, and tanks, and all those weapons we know and love.  I don't think about engineers, and medics, and calling in air strikes.

Now if someone wants to play Team Fortress with Strogg-like characters, that's fine.  I guess I'm just looking for something more along the lines of the original Quake and Quake 2 games to capture my interest.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2006-04-23, 03:54 »

I'm not much for this kind of game, but I was really hoping this would wind up being some kind of link between Quake and Quake 2, depicting the events that cause the people of earth to rally against the Strogg and go fight them on their own turf. And this just... doesn't look like it's going to cut it. You'd think, as far as the weapons and Strogg go, they could have at least modeled weapons and classes after what's seen in Quake 4 (if not Quake 2). I mean, shouldn't the Covert Ops class carry a railgun instead of a stereotypical sniper rifle?

This kind of looks more like the Strogg have jumped in a time machine to attack earth before they really had the technology to fight back... which is just silly. I don't want to see that.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #9 on: 2006-04-23, 06:20 »

I like the kind of game.. but it's just so overdone. I agree with Mak about it seeming like it's time travelling Strogg tho. In that regard, I think it wouldda been cooler to have Strogg go back in time to fight Nazi Germany (don't mind me, I just love the WW2 era German weaponry).

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2006-04-24, 17:19 »

Quote from: Phoenix

Now what do you think of that for a game?</font>
I really like the sound of this. If only it could be. (i think it's too good to ever be made into a game.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: