2024-04-19, 00:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: q3 machinegun (where is the barrel)  (Read 5634 times)
Arnie

Shambler

« on: 2006-05-28, 12:40 »

I`ve converted some Q2 maps to quake3 and in keeping with the weapon placements there is now a machinegun pickup in the map.

The problem is that only the body of the model shows up!  the barrel is missing??.
anyone know how to fix this???.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-29, 05:31 »

That's not a map problem, it's a code bug with Quake 3.  The game was never originally intended to have the machinegun spawn as a pickup gun, even though you can spawn it, so they never wrote the spawn weapon render function to draw the gun's barrel.  They hacked in code to spawn the Team Arena chaingun.  I rewrote the entire client-side weapons code for Generations so that any dropped and/or map spawned machineguns display the barrel properly.  I'm afraid the only way to "fix" it is to mod Q3 or use a Q3 mod such as Gen that supports rendering the barrel on the gun.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-29, 11:31 »

Hmm I see,  I`ll try to modify the "hacked" Chaingun code and use it for the Machinegun.

thanx Phoenix.  Thumbs up!

Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-29, 14:59 »

you could also replace the machinguns with ammo. :p

And if you look closely at the barrels of the machinegun, there's no holes for the bullets to come out of. Slipgate - Wink
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-29, 17:54 »

hmm,  another good idea , thanks Footman.

If I could model I would have a go at the Q2 Machinegun, but I can`t.

I was thinking could the barrel be attached to the Q3 machinegun using MD3compile and added to my PK3 as a substitute??.

EDIT:

Problem solved, I altered the cg_ents code, now the barrel shows, thanks for the advice everyone.  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2006-05-29, 19:54 by Arnie » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: