2024-03-28, 12:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 06/06/06 (Day of evil, or paranoia?)  (Read 9870 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-06-05, 16:03 »

Well somebody had to make a comment on the date being 666, and I felt this would be kind of fun to make it a poll.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-05, 16:44 »

It's just one way to represent a moment in human-ordered time. In swatch beats, it's "666" the same time every day. It was  6-6-6 (that is 0006, not 2006 - the latter is kind of stretching it anyway) a long time ago. That may have been a quite awful day, but we don't seem to be reading about it in the papers. Frankly, I enjoy(ed) the 01-02-03 04-05-06 thing more. Or 13:37 on my alarm clock when I wake up in the 'morning'. :]
« Last Edit: 2006-06-05, 16:45 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-05, 17:44 »

I dunno let's say something biblical DOES happen, what can you do? either run around screaming your ass off or just accept whatever fate awaits you.

I mean it is kind of creepy and something might happen, but more than likely it'll be some idiots and not something larger.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-05, 21:09 »

Its the kind of time that a nutter might choose to make something happen, like a bomb.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-05, 21:28 »

It's just a day... I'm sure 1906 was the same.. and 1806.. etc etc. Doesn't really matter to me at all. Heck.. no one makes a big deal out of 6am on June 6... The sixth hour of the sixth day of the sixth month... which I think is more satisfying than 6-6-06... the '06' kinda ruins it. Like Tab said.. the TRUE 6-6-6 was a very.. VERY.. long time ago.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-05, 21:30 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-06, 04:01 »

yeah i think that it's safe to say nothing... beyond mortal influence will occur now, really why would god wait till US central time to end the world?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-06, 04:51 »

Well yes, I agree that God isn't ruled by man's calendar.  The only people I think would assign any real significance are the paranoid, supersitious, or maybe some Satanists and/or anti-establishment culture people who might decide to do something stupid.  Other than that, to me, just a block on the page like any other.  I mean, the calandar year 666 came a long time ago.  I'd wager some people thought that was going to be the end of the world too.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-06, 08:45 »

There is some 'evil' going on:
Superstition turned into profit
And there's obviously a lot of people (even in this ordinarily secular little country) who'd get a wholly different poll result:
Dutchies to the rescue

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-06, 11:18 »

All I have to say to this is: The people are totally wrong, because there's a 2 in this year's number. Therefore their superstitions, etc. are completely false...not like it was the least bit true in the first place. x)

So yes, it's just a silly block on the calender people are fretting about. Pfft...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-06, 14:32 »

On the other hand, superstition easily immunizes itself by saying, for instance, that the 2 is the clever trick of the devil. Two times before, nothing happened, but this is the third (an important number, wouldn't you agree?) occurrance of a 6 in a thousand-ish yearcount. Besides, can't you tell by all the evil going on today?

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-06, 15:56 »

I wouldn't count it as evil unless some natural disaster smacks the whole world or something. Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-06, 17:41 »

Quote from: Tabun
On the other hand, superstition easily immunizes itself by saying, for instance, that the 2 is the clever trick of the devil.
Of course, there's the flipside to this line of thought.  You could say that the devil, being crafty and knowing human nature, will use this day to his advantage since people will already be fearful and sensitized.  So in essence, people allowing superstition to get ahold of them make room for the devil to play upon their fears.  If the expectation did not exist, then the devil would have no reason to apply extra effort at being bad on this particular day.  It reminds me of the situation in which a man is shown his future, but only the moment of his death.  So he spends his entire life trying to prepare and avoid that situation, yet in doing so ends up in that situation anyway, and realizes at just the last moment what happened, and how he'd been duped.  If he had never been shown his fate, he wouldn't have tried so hard to avoid it, and it was the attempt at avoidance that caused it in the first place.

This is what's commonly known as a self-fulfilling prophecy, and it has been my experience that most superstitions work this way.  Once you get an expectation of a bad thing happening, the first problem to arise is cited as "proof" of the superstition's validity.  Or, as Murphy said, if you go looking for trouble sooner or later you will find it.  If a superstition is ignored, it's business as usual.

Now as for what the bible says about the number 666, it has absolutely nothing to do with a date on a calendar, it has to do with receiving a mark of evil in the right hand or forehead in order to be able to buy or sell goods, and the number being associated with the man who orders people to receive this mark.  No other meaning is associated with the number.  I'd say if anything "evil" happens today it will be for the same reason things happen on Friday the 13th - people are more alert to misfortune on such days and notice it more, and also because of supersition, tend to be a bit more jittery and accident-prone (thus causing their own problems).  If the devil does decide to do anything "special" I'm sure there will be plenty of Dutchmen praying to counteract it.  In fact, I'd say with all those people praying we'll probably have a better day than normal.
Slipgate - Smile

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-06, 20:02 »

My dad showed me a slew of Satanist websites. And this day they are celebrating. I read through one perticular website. I was fasinated by the bios of the team members. Saying that they want to expose the evils of Chirstianity. It was interesting.

http://www.unitedorderofcerberus.com/about.htm

http://www.unitedorderofcerberus.com/admin.htm

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-06, 20:40 »

Ahh, another group founded on the LaVey philosophy of Satanism.  Yet more rebels without a clue.  I wonder how they'd feel about their "faith" if they ever actually met the guy they claim to worship...

OoPpEe

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2006-06-09, 02:22 »

I had to put "Unconcerned. It's just a block on the calendar.", I would of chose "Excited" if it was availible as it was my daughters first birthday.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-09, 07:29 »

The term 'Satanism' actually wasn't intended as devil-worship, so much as it defined itself by what mainstream Christianity was NOT.

Most of the popularized Satanism is little more than Christianity without the dogma.

Summed up as "do anything you want so long as noone gets hurt."

This was apparently attractive to people interested in the occult, wicca, etc, as an alternative to the overbearing, repressed, mainstream Christianity that they grew up with. As such, it's been most popular in white suburbia.

While there ARE actual devil-worshippers that operate under the term of Satanist, I wouldn't burn 'em just because they use the title. A lot of them are just misled.

As for 6/06/06. it's 2000 years late. There's nothing particularly special about the day.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-09, 16:11 »

Quote from: Angst
The term 'Satanism' actually wasn't intended as devil-worship, so much as it defined itself by what mainstream Christianity was NOT.

Actually, if you read what LaVey said when he founded his "Church of Satan" in 1966 (and yes he picked that year deliberately) it was founded in direct opposition to Christian morality.  A lot of it has to do with sexual promiscuity and perverse sexual behavior, the theory being "throwing off the shackles of Christian dogma in order to live free."  They see Christian rules of moral conduct as a form of enslavement.  This is in direct opposition to the Christian philosophy that it is sin that enslaves people and provides a false illusion of freedom, and that the Christian is liberated from sin through redemption, and is then truly free.

Most of the popularized Satanism is little more than Christianity without the dogma.
I take offense at using that comparison.  Satanism is not anything like Christianity.  Satanism is derived from Christianity in the sense that without Christianity, Satanism cannot exist.  The worship of Satan is the worship of a fallen angel.  What strikes me as odd is how many Satanists do not believe in God, or think Jesus was a phony.  If that were true, then Satan cannot be real, so what exactly do they base their beliefs on?  Then again,  there are a lot of people who claim to be Satanists who know absolutely nothing about who Satan really is.  Beyond that, Christianity preaches living a godly life, fleeing from sin, and accepting Christ's pardon.  Satanism teaches one should embrace sin, flee from a godly life, and mock Christ's pardon.  I think the two are kind of diametrically opposed.

Summed up as "do anything you want so long as noone gets hurt."

That's a pagan philosophy which actually hails from the Druids, not really a Satanic one, and the proper quotation is "An it hurt no'one, do as thou wilt."  This is often quoted by the modern followers of Wicca.  Members of organized Satanic cults that work from LaVey's philosophy do tend to obey the law on the surface, the primary reasoning being that by obeying the law you don't compromise the existence of the Church of Satan.  It has nothing to do with doing what's right, it has to do with not being caught.  Keep in mind this is only a few specific organized cults we're talking about here.  Devil worship can and is associated with murder, violence, rituals of evil, attempts at summoning demons, drug use... you name it.  There are a lot of really bad people out there who really want to do this kind of stuff.  You can't lump all of them together because not all Satanists are alike, the same as not all Christians are alike.  They run the spectrum from "the guy next door who is a nice fellow but into really kinky sex behind closed doors" to "the psychopath who wants to crucify your dog and draw pentagrams in blood with little candles at the points."

Organized Satanism also puts a high emphasis on material success; ie wealth.  Wealth and power are to be sought, according to LaVey.  Pride, greed, envy, lust... all the seven deadly sins they place up on a pedastal.  What Christianity says is evil, they see as good.  That's really the whole principle of their core beliefs.[/color]

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-09, 20:57 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Pride, greed, envy, lust... all the seven deadly sins they place up on a pedastal.
Sounds like today's world! Slipgate - Laugh

EDIT: Random Question-- why do font colors not work in a quote until I edit my posts? Kind of odd. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2006-06-09, 20:58 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-09, 23:38 »

It's done that ever since I can remember.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: